Author Topic: Canyon fire in Orange County California  (Read 1275 times)

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
Re: Canyon fire in Orange County California
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind thoughts.  We were lucky and they stopped the fire moving in our direction about a mile away and people are returning after the evacuation.  As of last night, I think 9 or 10 homes were lost and the Fire Authority did a fantastic job keeping the fire from spreading into more homes.  We had everything important packed in the vehicles just in case.  My wife was amazing at what she accomplished in preparation.  While I was chatting with a neighbor drinking a beer and watching the fire come closer, she was packing the SUVs hosing down the house and property.  Thank god she took a liking to me 42 years ago.  Someone has to be the responsible one.   :)  The northern wine country fire looked terrible on the news.  I feel for anyone who loses property or loved ones to these wild fires.  It is so devastating.  My thoughts go out to those affected.  Fugi, Sorry to hear about your cousin's loss. I just heard my wife's uncle lost all his acreage of mature grape vines at his winery in Napa.  Again, thanks for the kind words.

one-eye 

"One-Eye"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
This year has been a super bad year for wild fires. Montana really got hammered and most folks don't know about it as the hurricanes got the lions share of coverage. Best wishes for all who were threatened or hurt by this years fires.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
North of the 48th also had its fair share of fires this year especially in BC.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
North of the 48th also had its fair share of fires this year especially in BC.
Yep. Most of western Canada was in a smoke filled haze with poor air quality for 2 months solid - up north here we tend to let the fires burn to help cleanse the landscape as firefighting has now been focused on protecting assets and letting Mother Nature do her work. Before, we'd hop on the fire and try to beat it down - that only built up the tinder on the forest floor.

Happy to hear One-Eye that all is well with your house. I have friends that lost everything in the fire last year in the Fort McMurray fire. The company that I worked for flew out tens of thousands of people in 24 hours with two airlines who provided 150 flights out of our facility base plant airport.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:15:14 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
I'm about 50 minutes away in Concord...the amount of smoke down here is nuts. Hope you up north there are doing ok.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
I'm in Ukiah- We're pretty rural out here, and there was little or no warning- it's one AM, and all of a sudden your house is on fire. Some people had to flee on foot the fires came so quickly and destroyed cars, others managed to drive through the flames to escape, and others didn't make it- a friend lost his grandson, and his daughter, son in law and grand daughter are in the hospital with severe burns and the grand daughter may not make it. Unfortunately there'll be others who didn't make it out because it's mostly dirt roads and mountainous terrain.

I have no idea how many of my friends are homeless- our house is open for showers, naps and decompression, and it's been a busy place. I'm on the Board for our local Humane Society, and we almost lost our shelter and had to evacuate about 150 dogs and cats.

Because we're so rural we don't get the press the population centers get, but so many people have lost everything it's heartbreaking.

Today we'll look for stray animals that survived the fire, maybe drop bottled waters off for the first responders- the devastation up here is indescribable and so many people have lost everything.

Pray for NCal- we need it. 

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
Heartbreaking  :(
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women