Author Topic: probably the wrong forum but......  (Read 2748 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: probably the wrong forum but......
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
One hint: At the first boot of a Win10 computer it says there's a few things to do. Then it takes you to a screen telling there's some adjustments to be made. There's a HUGE bar down right saying something like "It's easy, just click here!" while in the down left there's a low contrast petite text saying "please, let me modify". Basically you'd want to disable everything it offers since all the options just want to know you better for targeted advertising. Note that the same thing comes after every version update![/u][/size]

Just wanted to point out that what Bizman posted is something that all Windows 10 users should most definitely use/utilize, if you are not a computer tinker that knows how to really dig in and tweak your Windows 10 OS

Edit: for those that are interested in tweaking your Windows 10 OS, blackviper's website was back online the last time I checked and he had updated his Windows 10 tweaks page, as well as some other Windows OSes.... Windows 7, Windows 8 etc....

www.blackviper.com

Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:29:13 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »
Update,  I ran diagnostics on my Ram & CPU, updated drivers, (except I have not been able to update Mobo chipset drivers for some reason), then this evening I rolled Win 10 back to pre-Creators edition, and now the system is much more stable, and usable again.  I suspect I'll end up reinstalling Win 10 etc at some point, but at least can fly FSO tomorrow night......    :airplane:

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 07:06:43 AM »
I went thru the process of updating my Team Red box to Win 10 Fall Creators Update on my retail version of Win 10 Home 64 bit OS and all went well w\ no issues.

As is my habit to do, I checked vers 1703 settings\setup prior updating to make sure of where all was set before I allowed the update to download & install. After vers 1709 installed and went thru the reboot process to finalize installation I then went back thru and checked all to see if any prior settings were altered\changed and found all as set prior in vers 1703 so nothing at the base OS level that I set was changed during the OS update process.

As far as any prior loaded software goes, I did find that thru the Fall Creators Update to vers 1709 from vers 1703 all my settings that were set in AMD's Radeon Settings, Gaming, Global Settings, Global Graphics and Global WattMan tabs had been reset to the defaults. But as for all the setup settings in the rest of Radeon Settings tabs (Video, ReLive, Display and System) all remained intact and set as were set prior. Reset all settings under the Gaming, Global Graphics and Global WattMan tabs back to prior settings, closed out, rebooted system and all came back up clean in Radeon Settings w\ all settings retained as set.

Checked my Windows CMD-created shortcuts that I had created for AHIII to set up the game to use high CPU priority\CPU affinity to run game on CPU cores 4, 5, 6, 7........all was clean and when I executed the game using them then checked TM to see if the syntaxing was still being applied and found all was still operational so none of this was altered\changed by the update.

With vers 1709, the Windows Game Mode setup has been moved from Windows Settings to reside completely within the Windows Game Bar (setting to enable\disable Game Mode) but found all Game Bar\Mode settings intact as had been set prior in vers 1703 so no issues there.

Started AHIII after this and flew a couple of sorties.....all operating just fine.

All else was fine w\ no issues.

So far, so good.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
Judging from the posts in this forum, am thinking I'd likely benefit from paying more attention to the Win 10 settings, thanks guys!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Windows 10 updates are notorious for changing settings back to defaults.

We have to spend a couple of hours on the one Windows 10 computer we have to get it set back to how we need it after many different updates.  Wish I could bill Microsoft for the time I have spent doing this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
I've got 451 days, 11 hrs, 37 minutes and 36 seconds before Windows 7 support ends  :x

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
Judging from the posts in this forum, am thinking I'd likely benefit from paying more attention to the Win 10 settings, thanks guys!

Hi DaddyAce,

I would also recommend to periodically check your settings to keep up\ensure that Win 10 doesn't change any of them during any of the automated Windows updates as well.

I also keep up w\ the update history as well to try to stay in the know as to what is being installed as well.
I usually make a quick check some time after initial bootup of my box in the AM as I have set the "Change Active Hours" settings to instruct Win 10 that I use my box from 11:00 hrs to 0:00 hrs every day which Win 10 will then try to run any updates from when I boot up my box (I physically shut my box down every night) until 11:00 hrs. My box will follow this pattern pretty well w\ an occasional deviation every now & then.

As an example: I updated this box of mine yesterday around 10:00 hrs. After doing all the stuff that I mentioned in the prior post and playing I shut down my box fairly early yesterday evening after checking for any updates....box hadn't updated yet. I booted up this morning around 5:42 hrs, checked for any updates after a session on the AHIII BBS (when I typed the post)....box hadn't updated. Just checked about 5 mins ago & noted that Win 10 had ran update check at 7:52 hrs & had updated Adobe Flash Player for Win 10 vers 1709 (KB4049179) & this was the only update ran to date w\ Windows giving an all is up to date message afterwards.

After seeing this I now have a good idea of what I was doing when this update ran as I was starting AHIII Dx9 version when in the process of starting the game I got an error box stating that aceshigh9.exe did not start up properly. I shut it down then restarted it again and all went like it has always done so the update most likely caused this as I know to expect this kind of behavior from Windows during the AM from when I boot up my box until after 11:00 hrs. Now after Windows will run a update check & download any updates that are available but usually will not install them during the change active hours timeline settings or any time outside of this timeline unless it detects your box being "idle".

Just giving an example of what\how I do w\ my Win 10 Home retail version so to date I haven't had any issues while running Win 10 that the OS\Microsoft caused.

Hope this helps.

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips Pudgie, you seem very well organized!   I think that attribute will serve you well transitioning into retirement.   :salute

The Win 10 Creator's edition was a real headache, basically made my puter unusable.  It took a bunch of download /install attempts (over my wireless ISP) before it finally took, and then the puter would not run long at most things before freezing.  So I think I'll take some time one of these days soon and see what I can do to make Win10 work better on this system.  One of my sons has been recommending a new clean install, since this OS started as Win 8 in another puter some years ago....just dread the thought of all the downloads over my weak, bandwidth-limited rural 4G signal.  Took a look at the Black Viper site and that looks useful too (Thanks TC!)

One of the things the rollback suggested to me is more assurance that the Win10 OS is the cause of the instability, since it changed so dramatically back and forth between Win 10 versions, so I'll focus on that in the near future, and assume all my hardware is okay.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
I've got 451 days, 11 hrs, 37 minutes and 36 seconds before Windows 7 support ends  :x

Dang someone needs to tell my old vista desktop about this!

I have a brand new copy of win7 I was going to put on the old vista machine but since it still works just fine I havent bothered. Now you tell me the support is going to end, whatever will I do..... :rofl :rofl :rofl

The vista machine is over 10years old and works like a charm,my gamer is only about 6 YO and runs win7 that has never been updated!  I just dont know enough about computers to do all this updating stuff! :devil

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »

--- I just dont know enough about computers to do all this updating stuff! :devil

Ask, just ask...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni