Author Topic: Interesting.... BPPV and VR = goodness  (Read 746 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Interesting.... BPPV and VR = goodness
« on: October 21, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »
Last Friday I came down with BPPV ( http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo ) aggravated by an ear infection (or an ear infection aggravated by BPPV). I had a mind bending BPPV attack 7 years ago, couldn't open my eyes for 2 days, couldn't get out of bed for 1 week, and still walked like a drunk 3 weeks later. Thankfully this BPPV was a quarter of the intensity of that first attack.

I missed last weeks FSO fearing a BPPV + VR experience would be pretty nasty. Today the BPPV was maybe 30% of what it was a week ago, decided to give AH a go anyway. Lo and behold playing in VR minimized the dizzyness, I was more comfortable sitting in a VR world than IRL. In fact after playing VR I went to get up and almost fell over.

I found it quite fascinating/odd.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Interesting.... BPPV and VR = goodness
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
wow that's pretty interesting. I wonder if peripheral vision plays a large part in the dizziness.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
If the inner ear balance organ is out of order, it would be logical that there'd be no dizziness caused by the eyes getting different information than the inner ear.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
wow that's pretty interesting. I wonder if peripheral vision plays a large part in the dizziness.
HUMMM, right, as that is really what you dont have with VR(peripheral vision). With me and my MS(should be called BS) I get dizzy anytime I bend my neck. Like look up, or down, and at times turning of my head,even while sitting. Needless to say, I dont drive very often when this is occurring. In VR, its a none issue or at least isnt one as of yet :uhoh No dizzy or nausea,no nothing! Another big thing with driving...cant hit BREAK PEDAL to help make a LEFT :headscratch: hand turn :x VR does wear me out fast though. Severe fatigue is probably my biggest issue with the BS. Interesting observation Kanth, makes ya wonder :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain