Author Topic: Option To Turn Off Flight Controls  (Read 729 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Option To Turn Off Flight Controls
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
I find in some planes, the flight control animations to be distracting and block some of the gauges.  Mostly anything with a yoke.
Perhaps consider an option/setting to turn off the yoke display, if one would like.
Kinda like this here:

See, nice and clean.  Can see all of the gauges.
Maybe with the controls being turned off, it will give some of us lower end PC users an extra frame-rate to two.
(btw, I used an image for a civilian aircraft so nobody say's I'm comparing other War-Sims to AHIII.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Option To Turn Off Flight Controls
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
I thought being able to drag the speed\alt\heading HUD into the center of your screen was the answer to this problem. It's not like any real engine management takes place since its mostly automated so we can fight.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »
I thought being able to drag the speed\alt\heading HUD into the center of your screen was the answer to this problem. It's not like any real engine management takes place since its mostly automated so we can fight.
You are assuming I use HUD.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
Actually I would support this just because the yoke in my B-26's covers my altimeter most of the time and I'm constantly sliding around to see it.   No Hud for me either, I prefer to use gauges like you would in the actual plane.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
Sounds good to me.  Are a couple of planes where the stick etc. block gauges.  Not really realistic, as real pilots aren't rigid dummies. 

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »
Sounds good to me.  Are a couple of planes where the stick etc. block gauges.  Not really realistic, as real pilots aren't rigid dummies.

:aok

There are also many planes that the stick or yoke are not visible at all, unless looking forward-down.  The C-202/C-205-All of the Corsairs-All of the 190's and probably more,
the stick cannot even be seen while in normal flight.  So I don't think it would really hurt anything.
Plus as I stated in the wish and even the Title, this would be an optional setting.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »

An easy fix for this is to map a button or hat-switch with a view for that aircraft that allows you to look around the obstruction. 

I don't use TrackIR, so I simply do this:  I map a Look Forward Down button, move the head position so I can see around an obstruction or look at specific gauges, and when combined with Zoom In/Out, this allows me to look at gauges that I otherwise can't see or read from other views.

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
An easy fix for this is to map a button or hat-switch with a view for that aircraft that allows you to look around the obstruction. 

I don't use TrackIR, so I simply do this:  I map a Look Forward Down button, move the head position so I can see around an obstruction or look at specific gauges, and when combined with Zoom In/Out, this allows me to look at gauges that I otherwise can't see or read from other views.

That would not change the fact the yoke is still visible.

This is why many racing games make it a standard option to remove the steering wheel in the cockpit.
In a racing sim, we already have our wheel in our hands, placed in front of the monitor.  To see a second wheel in the game is a distraction for some people.
This I find to be true in AHIII as well (at least for me).  I'm sure others like the animations, but they are not a necessity.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »
you can try changing you FOV.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »
you can try changing you FOV.
My FOV is fine where it is.  Thanks for the input though.

Coogan
Game Id's: