Author Topic: Brand spanking NEW map in MA!!!!!!  (Read 6789 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Brand spanking NEW map in MA!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 11:58:33 PM »
I joined at 8 pm ET, 123 players and 127 bases map; nice, i appreciate your work, but imo too large for this low MA#; there are 30-40 players in MA for most of the day outside of US evening hours, what fun can they have lost on large maps, huge front line like this?
 Imo, the number of bases should never exceed half the average number of players , to get a good population density, interaction, fight and fun.
I think bustr did a good job mitigating the issue unlike maps like trinity...yea theres lots of bases but you are almost forced to fight in a certain order unless you are hitting a field with a CV.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »
Its a disgrace what more will they do? Perk planes or some other outrage!
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 01:51:40 AM »
Who will get the FIRST WHINE achievement?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
 :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Pretty sure it was Junkie...maybe GT. Did see Squat griping a bit as well...so its any ones guess on "the first" griper  :neener:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
....what fun can they have lost on large maps, huge front line like this?
 Imo, the number of bases should never exceed half the average number of players , to get a good population density, interaction, fight and fun.

Ummm... I logged on last night and the Rook "front" as you put was not very large as we had been pushed back to the point that the other two chess pieces were simply fighting each-other...

Took a few Hurri II's of doom to draw anyone out to fight :banana: But then it was on!

I like the map, but I'm an addict... MORE! I WANT MORE!

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
Jumped in the game last night to take a quick look at the map.  Damn nice job bustr.  :rock
Keep the big maps coming.  :cheers:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Ummm... I logged on last night and the Rook "front" as you put was not very large as we had been pushed back to the point that the other two chess pieces were simply fighting each-other...

Took a few Hurri II's of doom to draw anyone out to fight :banana: But then it was on!

I like the map, but I'm an addict... MORE! I WANT MORE!

Fun times last night, KB!

Wished I had been able to keep playing, but had other RL stuff I needed to get done

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Pretty sure it was Junkie...maybe GT. Did see Squat griping a bit as well...so its any ones guess on "the first" griper  :neener:
I don't whine....ever. Y'all been saying that for a while over the M3 stuff but wait who was right??? Oh yea I was....later nerd.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
Popped on last night to check it out. Fine job, Bustr! Thanks for putting in the time and effort. Big salute!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
I joined at 8 pm ET, 123 players and 127 bases map; nice, i appreciate your work, but imo too large for this low MA#; there are 30-40 players in MA for most of the day outside of US evening hours, what fun can they have lost on large maps, huge front line like this?

The type of terrain you are describing will have to come from Hitech as a third MA approved terrain type. I understand the problem for off USA peak times because I have peeked in from time to time trying to understand how that few people are utilizing the arena. Since I cannot submit a design like you describe for the MA, I attempted on Oceania to compress distances and provide some unique venues. I saw you on during USA peak time last night, I hope you had fun with terrain.

I keep telling people to build a terrain as much to solve their own needs and frustrations as I would like them to experience mine in attempting to create these things for several hundred unique and different people. There are ways to cookie cutter this and slop it together, I've always hated the same old same old look of most terrains over the last 15 years. You may have noticed I tried to make this terrain have a sense of the real world while you were flying over it on the way to break things.

OH! A shout out to Junky and his sense of fair play, he was furballing in a TBM last night letting all the alt monkey ponies have a shot at him. If you DA him, do it in TBM's....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
I look forward to flying your map, bustr. It will be with what I return to the game.  :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
And still no screenshots........

:noid
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
look in the terrain threads, buster has been posting pictures of it over the last 6 months

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »

there's one on the AH FB page.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »

All those constant screen shots leading up to the release of Oceania were as much to force me to complete it, as showing the community that something was being built for them, along with the stunning beauty possible with the AH3 terrain engine. Building a terrain is a long process that is not unlike doing a 26 mile marathon. You get bored, disheartened, and even run out of creative inspiration and want to walk away from it. You are the only one who can cross your finish line 6 months down the road. And the limitations of the polygon mesh force you to constantly compromise on your dreams when you always least expect to.

This is one of the reasons I suggest building a tiny test terrain like an island with a few feilds that you can only use offline on your own PC. Even the smallest island will show you the limitations of the polygon mesh and force you to make compromises. And then, you have to paint it and experience all of those compromises to achieve some illusion of the reality most players want out of terrains. Otherwise, it's simple just to slop something together that has feilds on it. The terrain editor is that easy to create something with.

Vraciu, I suspect you have already given this a shot and know what I'm talking about....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
there's one on the AH FB page.

I have boycotted FB just like the NFL.   :noid
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)