Author Topic: What is Vehicle quadrant??  (Read 21469 times)

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
Re: What is Vehicle quadrant??
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
I like the storch having increased vis... perhaps also give it to M8's.. they were scout vehicles.
Todd

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
I agree. This is basically a legal cheat. An assistant. Laziness. Sneaking is gone.

:salute

27th

God forbid you actually risk getting killed in a combat game.   :rolleyes:
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »
If I were someone habitually overhwelming enemy defenses with superior numbers, I would love it. Similar to the inflated radar circles we had for a short time years ago. :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »
If I were someone habitually overhwelming enemy defenses with superior numbers, I would love it. Similar to the inflated radar circles we had for a short time years ago. :)
Huh, FYI today is a day of perk planes and equal numbers. So players that don't experience that condition might also love it. You with inferior numbers, might actually love it.

Anyway, has anyone experimented with the tracking yet? OMG, circle an enemy tank.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »
-1 for GV radar.  The blinking base and field were enough.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
Yes, I am afraid it is too powerful. No one will be able to attack fields in a tank while ords are up. I will teach everyone the trick right now to level the playing field and get this experiment over with. The following is a simplified reenactment. Up an A-20 and fly along the edge of a dar quadrant. When the quadrant flips, turn 90 degrees toward the quadrant and follow the edge. When it flips, drop bombs, the tank is dead.

I just used this technique to isolate a single tree, before even looking for the tank. Using quadrant flipping, I already knew which tree to scan, so the whole idea of using trees for cover that they were supposedly created and perfected to provide, is now out the window and I retract my impetuous endorsement. I'd foolishly assumed it only worked for gv's where it belongs.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
BTW the range of the vehicle radar is adjustable for observer,vehicle,plane and flack independently.

Also the quadrant is my first attempt at displaying some type of info that vehicles are in the area. I've wanted to add some type of display since AH3 was released, the reason is because of the increased tree density making if difficult to even know if a vehicle is in the area.

I'm convinced that more info was needed simply showing that a vehicle is some where to be found to fight in visible range. So any suggestion how to display that a vehicle is in the area(3 - 5 mile radius), with out giving a precise location will be considered.

HiTech

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:34:51 AM by hitech »

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
Dust/smoke from moving GV:s and having them leave a trail would do..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
Your best bet then would be to use a light, for example turn the connection indicator into a gv indicator. that way, when they fly over me, I know to disguise my location while they are trying to figure out which part of the 3~5 mile radius they entered.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
Dust/smoke from moving GV:s and having them leave a trail would do..

No help if vehicle is sitting still. And also it locates the vehicle precisely if moving. Both go against the basic objective, hence nope.

HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
Your best bet then would be to use a light, for example turn the connection indicator into a gv indicator. that way, when they fly over me, I know to disguise my location while they are trying to figure out which part of the 3~5 mile radius they entered.

That would be the same as simply turning the quads into a circle. Which is something I am considering.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
-1 for GV radar.  The blinking base and field were enough.  :salute

I agree, and add the Storch to Vinkman's mentioned items.  I hadn't found locating GVs too difficult.  There was usually enough of us hunting that somebody would up a Storch to help search.  Conversely if I was trying to sneak attack an enemy field in a GV, if I heard a Storch fire up I knew I would be located.   What I liked about it is that it encouraged cooperation and communication between players. 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
BTW the range of the vehicle radar is adjustable for observer,vehicle,plane and flack independently.

Also the quadrant is my first attempt at displaying some type of info that vehicles are in the area. I've wanted to add some type of display since AH3 was released, the reason is because of the increased tree density making if difficult to even know if a vehicle is in the area.

I'm convinced that more info was needed simply showing that a vehicle is some where to be found to fight in visible range. So any suggestion how to display that a vehicle is in the area(3 - 5 mile radius), with out giving a precise location will be considered.

HiTech

What about getting rid of the circle, and having your plane icon flash when you're within a certain distance of a GV and have it get faster the closer you are?  Basically hot/cold.  To make it so you don't get too much information, make the flash speed not get any faster when you're within a certain minimum distance.  So the flash starts slow at 6k (or whatever) then gets faster up until you're 2k away, then the flash stays at a constant speed regardless of whether you're right on top of him or 2k away.  Numbers just for example of course.

Alternately, what about having the bearing tied to fields instead of your vehicle?  Maybe divide it into 8ths, so you'd know the general direction from the field or strat the vehicles are.

The main problem with the quadrants is it's too easy to get it to give you a bearing.  It's just too easy to triangulate.  If you really want to make the quadrants work, maybe a delay or slower tick rate?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
How about "listening posts" distributed around fields and towns.  They would have an icon that friendlies could see to mark their location and flash when an enemy GV was within a certain radius.  By noticing when they start/stop flashing you could triangulate a rough position and direction for the GV.  Make them a selectable option (like spawn points) to minimize map clutter.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:57:06 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
I've wanted to add some type of display since AH3 was released, the reason is because of the increased tree density making if difficult to even know if a vehicle is in the area.

HiTech
Also, why not plain old gv bar, just like dar bar? And if this is to address tree density, does the implementation of this mean we can hope for increased tree density as well? Except for a few maps trees are far too thin, imo. Some maps represent deserts the size of a small planet.

That would be the same as simply turning the quads into a circle. Which is something I am considering.
I disagree. A circle is a visual indicator, you can fly tangentially to it and get the same kind of indication a quadrant provides. A plain light or dar bar removes that visual cue, forcing the searcher to actually "navigate," as opposed to watching TomTom.