Author Topic: In-game transactions in lieu of $15/m  (Read 12270 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: In-game transactions in lieu of $15/m
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
Microtransactions are a cancer in the gaming industry. Look how angry gamers are with EA and Battlefront 2. There are very, very few games that can implement them well (Paths of Exile is one). Even the mention of microtransactions in a game will have many, MANY people throw the idea of playing out of the window. The subscription system alone is turning many away from playing, especially when side-by-side with 'free' games (even if they have cancerous pay for advantage stuff).

Microtransactions would be the nail in AH's coffin.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 19zac

• Zinc Member
      • 19th Bombardment Group
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
Microtransactions are a cancer in the gaming industry. Look how angry gamers are with EA and Battlefront 2. There are very, very few games that can implement them well (Paths of Exile is one). Even the mention of microtransactions in a game will have many, MANY people throw the idea of playing out of the window. The subscription system alone is turning many away from playing, especially when side-by-side with 'free' games (even if they have cancerous pay for advantage stuff).

Microtransactions would be the nail in AH's coffin.

In my original post I said that making it the way EA does it is a ridiculous idea. I am referring to the Counterstrike method of doing it. Everything is purely cosmetic. EA is a terrible company and I do not buy any of their games because of how poorly they handle Microtransactions. I am trying to suggest to all you old-school gamers the newer / better way to use microtransactions that make companies alot of money but do not give people ANY advantage in the game. I think that would grow the community. People associate microtrans with Pay to Win. That is not always the case and i think a Pay to Win game sucks. But I do get that my idea here may not have a place in Aces High.
~CRAZY EYEBALLS~
"BZacc"

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 12:18:15 PM »
IMHO it's HiTech's horse and it should be up to him how to ride it.  I'm perfectly satisfied with the system currently in place.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
In my original post I said that making it the way EA does it is a ridiculous idea. I am referring to the Counterstrike method of doing it. Everything is purely cosmetic. EA is a terrible company and I do not buy any of their games because of how poorly they handle Microtransactions. I am trying to suggest to all you old-school gamers the newer / better way to use microtransactions that make companies alot of money but do not give people ANY advantage in the game. I think that would grow the community. People associate microtrans with Pay to Win. That is not always the case and i think a Pay to Win game sucks. But I do get that my idea here may not have a place in Aces High.

Why should somebody have to pay to use a historical, community made cosmetic (in this game, that's a skin). Why would we turn the match play arena into a place that in no way represents what the game is or stands for with less-than historical, or ridiculous skins?

I think the Skinners of Aces High see their work as tributes to the actual history of whatever aircraft or vehicle is being represented in the game. I think they would hate to see people being forced to pay, in order to fly the plane of their favorite ace, or the plane of an actual family member (something I have seen happen in this community).

In my opinion, Aces High is still more of a hobby to the small crew that makes it, and less of a business. If Hitech really wanted to make a ton of cash, he could have likely sold his business at it's peak. I cant pretend to know Hitech and the rest of HTC, but I do believe they care more about the community than the money (as long as it still pays the bills).

I could also be crazy and talking nonsense. 100% possible.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
-1  $15 bucks gets you everything you need for the whole month. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »
I''d buy an AHIII hat or jacket, if made available. 

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
....., but what do I know.

If you're young enough, everything.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
If you're young enough, everything.

It's tough being the smartest guy around.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
i will fly my plane or planes with default skin before I by a skin even if it were 1 penny.

I live in Texas where we pay tax so I pay 16.03 per month to fly or drive when I want how I want. and talk to other players they way I want within the rules hehe.

but you don't see me or any other Texas player griping about having to pay tax.
I love this this game as it is. and I will pay and play as long as I am able to---esp since I got my 4th star hehe yeee hawwww.

and why is there always somebody- a returning player or a new player trying to get HiTech to give his lively hood away for free?  the man has to pay people the make this game work, and they aren't going to do it for free, and he can't do it by himself  Neff said. :bolt:

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
I just can't see how to implement a micro transaction system that would work for AH.  I agree that we need to try more to get new players flying, but I don't think that is the way to do it. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
I just can't see how to implement a micro transaction system that would work for AH.  I agree that we need to try more to get new players flying, but I don't think that is the way to do it.

Neither can I. Micro-transactions could turn this game into a nightmare.

I still think a half dozen free planes in the MA would help boast the numbers. That would bring in the "Steam" players looking for the "free" games. More players only will help bring in more players. Someone checking out the game see's 300 players on a weekday after school why wouldn't they give it a try. They fly the free planes for a few months , and are now hooked, and buy the subscription to check out all the other planes.

If HTC want to get a bit more into it maybe ....

Level 1
1 vehicle, 1 buff, and 4 fighters all early war for free

Level 2
2 vehicles, 2 buffs, and 8 fighters 3/4 early war, 1/4 mid war, for $5 a month

Level 3
4 vehicles, 4 buffs, and 12 fighters split 50-50 early mid war, for $10 a month

Level 4
All equipment for $15 month

Pay for what you want with out "paying to win"

HTC already has the infrastructure as servers can handle up to 1000 players at once so no need to spend money to accommodate more players even if they aren't adding money to HTC's coffers. It wont "hurt" the game, wont cost anything other than the time to write the coad for it, and could in the long run help the game.

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
In Warbirds 2.xx I flew in the Air Combat Arena under my dads account. It was free with a few planes enabled IIRC they were mostly middle of the road versions of the iconic birds. It made me want to fly the full price planes enough that I risked going into the main arena against my dad's wishes to do it.

And I got caught, because that was $2.00 per hour or something at that point. Lol.

Of course this wouldn't really work now since anyone could make their own arena with ALL the planes, but it is the reason I (maybe foolishly) think having a limited set of competitive planes in the MA couldn't hurt.

On the other hand I may have no idea what I'm talking about.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 11:35:45 PM »
Neither can I. Micro-transactions could turn this game into a nightmare.

I still think a half dozen free planes in the MA would help boast the numbers. That would bring in the "Steam" players looking for the "free" games. More players only will help bring in more players. Someone checking out the game see's 300 players on a weekday after school why wouldn't they give it a try. They fly the free planes for a few months , and are now hooked, and buy the subscription to check out all the other planes.

If HTC want to get a bit more into it maybe ....

Level 1
1 vehicle, 1 buff, and 4 fighters all early war for free

Level 2
2 vehicles, 2 buffs, and 8 fighters 3/4 early war, 1/4 mid war, for $5 a month

Level 3
4 vehicles, 4 buffs, and 12 fighters split 50-50 early mid war, for $10 a month

Level 4
All equipment for $15 month

Pay for what you want with out "paying to win"

HTC already has the infrastructure as servers can handle up to 1000 players at once so no need to spend money to accommodate more players even if they aren't adding money to HTC's coffers. It wont "hurt" the game, wont cost anything other than the time to write the coad for it, and could in the long run help the game.

I don't see how any of these kinds of revenue collection systems can work like the way it is. This plan, (Sorry, not bashing - it's just handy to use as an example) would cause some players paying full price to stop since they can fly and survive in early war planes. I usually flew only a single mid-war plane at the end of my playing days, so I would have dropped how much I contributed. Granted, these types of players are few and far between, but I think the frugal minded out there would adapt to these lower priced options. I can only see the way forward that is possible of slowing the decline is to hire a sophisticated marketing company who has an international reach as well as a much better system for new players to find the info needed to learn the game.

I have been of the opinion since I joined in 2008 or so that it was too hard for new guys to find the game play info easily enough. I don't see that much has been done about that since just finding the quick reference sheet for in-game commands takes at least two or three drop down menus and or links to get to and you have to kind of remember which choice it is under which I can today since I went through there recently, but probably will forget in a couple weeks. It should have a giant, red, blinking button on the main page and the first thing in the training drop down list since it makes getting started so much easier.

Even better would be a well written guide downloaded with the game as a PDF or something. Everyone says, "The training arena is your friend," but lets be honest, there is usually not a trainer in there and no way for a person to find the info they need by themselves. It took someone to tell me on the fourth or fifth day of trying the game to look at Netaces or something to find the info to actually get started by myself. I eventually found the info on the HT main pages, but it was usually buried.

I doubt this is the all winning option, but it would reach a broader audience with meaningful product info and appeal and address the systemic issue about training and game play info. Item one would have a high cost, yes, but might be worth it in future returns. The second part is nearly penniless and could have a greater impact on new player retention in my opinion.

$.02 posted and will probably be blown off as usual.  :)

<Salute>
Punk
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:40:57 PM by Halo46 »
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
I''d buy an AHIII hat or jacket, if made available. 

Coogan

Apparently people said that but nobody did, so HTC got burned on merchandizing and have no interest in doing it any time soon.