Author Topic: frame rates and freezes  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: frame rates and freezes
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 01:08:26 PM »
Thanks Kanth!  I didn’t think of checking the in game display device.  Previously, the frame rate has been 90ish, while using Oculus.  Obviously, over the last week or so, the Christmas gremlins have been fooling around with my settings.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
Just a quick note.  I was able to select my oculus as the display device  instead of my monitor and now my frame rate doesn’t cap at 60 it caps a 90 which is the refresh rate of the rift, with vsync on, which is how you should be playing.

So to answer your question, it averages at 90 due to the rift refresh rate.  If I do the staged mission with all of the bombers in it, it can drop down to the 20s when they are all firing.

So in video settings for the game make sure your rift is selected as the display device and not one of your monitors.
Where did you change display? Thats new to me,  :huh what else is new though :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »
Where did you change display? Thats new to me,  :huh what else is new though :rofl

I was about to ask the same question (W10).

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
Exactly so check this out:

right click on your desktop and select display settings:

you should see something that looks like your monitor setup for me it looks like this:

NOW, close out of that.

Launch your Oculus software. Once it's launched and you rift is up and running, go back inot your display settings again.:

you should see another display and this one is   3840 x 2160 recommended. Go ahead and close out of that.

Once you see that is showing up there, then go into your Aces high Video settings (if you do this with the rift on, once you click video settings it'll actually show up on your desktop not in the rift so then look at your regular monitor after that)

You should see an extra display in there and it should be capable of 3840x 2160, that's your rift and it's what you want to use for Aces High graphics.
It has a refresh rate of 90htz.

Once you have that set then click ok.  Then in game you will see :

and as long as vsync isn't disabled you'll see it cap out at 90 fps in arena.
until you get into the arena your frame rate won't be capped.

btw this is new to me too, i just noticed it the other day...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:21:37 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
Nice.  :aok

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »
So seemingly getting the correct resolution settings would improve the visuals in the Rift, but can you see an improvement?

The reason I'm asking is my Rift seems to work fine, but when I saw your recent posts here Kanth I tried to fine tune to get the resolution setting aligned with Win 10 and in game.  My puert does not offer the options your finding on your machine.  On mine, both Nvidia control panel and Win 10 shows only 1 display and that's my HP Monitor.  Clicking on "Detect" in Win 10 Control Panel yields "Did not detect another display".  But yet the Rift seems to work fine, other than perhaps the wrong resolution is being applied presumably yielding sub-optimal resolution.

I checked to see that the rift is plugged into the 1060, and not mobo, and updated the latest Nvidia driver when I installed the rift in early December.  The Oculus software is the Beta version.

Any thoughts suggestions appreciated.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »
DaddyAce I think you missed this part of my post:

Launch your Oculus software. Once it's launched and you rift is up and running, go back inot your display settings again.:

The rift display will not show up as a windows display option at all until you launch your Oculus software. So either click on the Oculus icon to launch it or simply put your rift on your head and click through the safety warning, which will launch your oculus software and then take the rift off your head (Leave the Oculus software running and open) and look at your windows display properties again, it should now appear..

Also to answer your question, Yes, there is visual improvement.

Just to be clear, as soon as you shut off the oculus software, you will not see that display option in windows, they are directly related.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:48:36 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
Wow Kanth, thanks for the quick reply!

I saw that, and just tried again (3rd time now), same result....Rift seems to work fine but Nvidia and Win 10 only shows the monitor, but not the rift as another display....very strange......the hardware works but Win10 doesn't seem to recognize it....... :rolleyes:

So it my system seems to switch back and forth between the monitor and rift, but perhaps use the 1440p resolution settings to the rift.....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:56:39 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »
Same with me...NO other displays. WIN10? or because I am using an adapter to connect Rift? I get decent frame rates as it is, but would be nice to improve a bit!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 11:35:17 PM »
I get great frame rates too, but it's odd that Win 10 doesn't show the rift as a display.  I had noticed before that the resolution was showing 2560 x 1440 but didn't think much of it until Kanth's informative post showing how Win indicates the different displays, etc.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
After an update....got exact results Kanth had! It showed up as display :rock Turned on the Beta stuff and update started, nowit shows up

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 12:24:47 AM »
cool, so DaddyAce it may be related to Beta. I am also using the Beta version, perhaps it's something they just added so that oculus shows up as a display now with Beta. Maybe that's also why i've never seen it before a few days ago.

Do you have the beta turned on, DaddyAce?

the instructions are here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,390815.msg5190908.html#msg5190908

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »
I think I have the Beta version installed; it says "Beta" in the lower left hand corner in settings.

I think I get it now Kanth.  By "turned on", I'm thinking you mean turning on the "Public test channel"?  So I'm thinking that allows the new update that presumably better integrates with Windows and shows the rift as a separate display.  Okay too late for this old guy to deal with it more tonight.   :old:

I also checked and see that I'm also at least 2 graphics driver updates behind as well,so I may deal with this tomorrow, but before I jump into the "Public test", do you Kanth, 1stpar, or others notice an actual improvement of in-game graphics with the new version?

Thanks for the clarification and help! 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 04:42:24 AM »
Isn't Oculus 2160x1200?  The screenshot looks like a 4k setting for the 1080Ti card.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 09:48:09 AM »
3840 x 2160 is 4k and i'm not sure why it picked that as a default, but the refresh rate on that display is what moved my vsync'd frame rate from 60 up to 90 so I know i have targeted the rift display. The resolution is allowing me 4k or 8k to choose, nothing less.   There is no 2160 x 1200 option available.