Author Topic: frame rates and freezes  (Read 5098 times)

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Re: frame rates and freezes
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
3840 x 2160 is 4k and i'm not sure why it picked that as a default, but the refresh rate on that display is what moved my vsync'd frame rate from 60 up to 90 so I know i have targeted the rift display. The resolution is allowing me 4k or 8k to choose, nothing less.   There is no 2160 x 1200 option available.

I can recreate all of the changes except the box for disable  vsync is always checked for the rift display. If I uncheck it to turn vsync on it says changes only take place after restart so I say yes to close but when I reopen and go back to video settings the box is checked again. Could you please check to see if yours is staying unchecked?

Thanks

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »

Yes, that's true. Good catch.

I am unchecking it and restart and it's checked again. That might be a bug.  :aok
It doesn't appear to be saving that setting.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
Do the VR settings withing AHIII, being on or off, have any impact on game performance for people who do not use it?
If it does, then all of the VR settings should be disabled by default.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
I can recreate all of the changes except the box for disable  vsync is always checked for the rift display. If I uncheck it to turn vsync on it says changes only take place after restart so I say yes to close but when I reopen and go back to video settings the box is checked again. Could you please check to see if yours is staying unchecked?

Thanks

I’ve noticed the same thing also.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
This is really helpful info Kanth.  Going through this, I discovered two displays listed in the game video menu.  The selected one had the vsync disabled was the 1280X.  When the other had the vsync box was unchecked and the 3840x1260 was displayed. I selected this and went into the game.  It worked exactly as you described.  Frame rate in the 90s, no screen freezes or stutters.

Thanks for all the guidance for this guy who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.  Very helpful!

Between you, easy, and others, a good “how to” sticky could be developed for a one stop reference.  How about it Skuzzy?

Thanks all for the help!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 12:08:35 AM »
This is really helpful info Kanth.  Going through this, I discovered two displays listed in the game video menu.  The selected one had the vsync disabled was the 1280X.  When the other had the vsync box was unchecked and the 3840x1260 was displayed. I selected this and went into the game.  It worked exactly as you described.  Frame rate in the 90s, no screen freezes or stutters.

Thanks for all the guidance for this guy who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.  Very helpful!

Between you, easy, and others, a good “how to” sticky could be developed for a one stop reference.  How about it Skuzzy?

Noticed the same thing! After this change...NOT ONE screen freeze or even a stutter! Must HAVE really been an Oculus related issue? Thanks again Kanth, for posting this info! YOU are my HERO :rock  UNLESS you kill me next time we meet up :uhoh    :devil Will still love ya though  :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 09:06:18 AM »
 :cheers:    :rofl
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »

Are you saying that for the rift display the box remained unchecked ie v sync on even after a restart or did you uncheck the box and then answer no to the restart question to proceed onto the game? I am confused as to what change is causing the improvements?
Are you running win 10?

Thanks

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
The Vsinc was merely testing. I cant get that check box un checked anyway  :O Dont think it really matters all that much. I guess the improvements are because the RIFT is now recognized as a diplay device? Can now be used as a primary display for the game thus running it at better with Rift. Yup, WIN10. Also the BETA update through Oculus as well, not sure if you saw that earlier post.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:10:24 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
i have the oculus beta and i can select my 2nd display (vr) in game but it doesnt show the new resolution it still shows the 1920x1060? also when i choose that it will not go back to me screen when i take the hood off (which i do for cv shooting and gving)? any ideas i can try?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
In game, VR options like disable vrswap and mirror checked? I had same issue, I also went into Nvidia and set RIFT as primary display. Oculus has to be running for that to work also. Not sure why I get into game like I do..but with Oculus running I look around mask and go through AHdx11 shortcut on desktop..instead of through oculus library. The new res shows up doing it like that, havent tried the library route

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
yeah vrswap and mirror are on but when i remove the hood with the 2nd display it wont got to my screen?  i have tried both libray oculus start up and and dx11 desktop start up but neither works
i also dont get the the high resolution marker still shows desk screen resolution.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
if you look at my instructions pictures you see how the windows display shows the new display as 1
and yet when i'm in selecting the display to use for Aces High I picked display 3? (highlighted in blue in the aces high app)

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,390740.msg5194564.html#msg5194564
Photo 3 and then Photo 5

So I think the display numbers don't strictly match up as to which one you should pick.
So once you have the extra display showing up i'd check each one in Aces high video settings and pick the one that appears to show up with the correct resolution.

And even go in further and see if your frame rate in the arena is showing up as 89-90 frames per second.

I'm wondering if yours was already correctly setup and you actually unselected it by chosing the other display cause the numbers matched.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
Did you select the display for rift at top of Video settings screen IN GAME? I know "YES", just checking :uhoh Went and checked,I do NOT have rift as primary..not sure why I remembered it was? The rift in Win settings is 1 and monitor is 2(but primary)? All I know. I DID however go into NVIDIA controll panel and set my monitor and rift as it showed in WIN10 settings page. 1 as RIFT, with 2 monitor but Primary. Not sure that this made a difference :uhoh but might want to check on your end?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:59:33 PM by 1stpar3 »

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
Updated to latest Nvidia driver, and updated to the latest Oculus Beta software....no change (other than the Oculus interface), neither Win 10 nor Nvidia Control Panel shows the Rift as a display option, although the Rift appears to work well.  Tried reboot, same result.  Anyone else having this issue?