Author Topic: Extend conversion ranges on some or all planes  (Read 553 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
Extend conversion ranges on some or all planes
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
     Tank busters would be nice to have convergence ranges to 1000 yards.  I would like to see it for fighters too,  also  a convergence scale for bomber gunner positions.  Maybe a real time sliding scale like the 88s have for range. 

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Extend conversion ranges on some or all planes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
I don't think A2G attack pilots set their convergence for long ranges.  In the book "Red Star Against the Swastika", the author (WW2 IL2 pilot) mentions that convergence was usually set at 500yds or closer. 

Also, the 88mm doesn't adjust convergence on the fly, all you're doing is adjusting the range of firing and the timing of the 88mm round (timed fuse on 88mm rounds, not proximity like the 5" guns on ships).  You could not adjust the convergence on the fly while in the air in a fighter in real life, it had to be done on the ground.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
I can't speak to Historical use but I use the Hurricane IID a lot for tank busting.  I rarely, I mean rarely fire the cannons outside of 400 yards.  It is not unusual to hear the top of the tank scrape the bottom of the plane as I pull out of my pass.  Longer convergence would not really change anything for this plane in terms of performance.  It still requires a steep dive angles and close in shots to achieve kills.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
 Gee akak I know 88s don't have a convergence  1 gun has no convergence.  I was referring to having the bombers adjustable convering gunsight scale contolled the same way the fuse on the 88s are adjusted.   also for air to ground tankbusters had sighting ranges out to a half mile or more.

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
 Also if a bomber can sight in and hit you at 1.5 or  so. have a plane that has max converge distance at 650  doesn't work that great.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
That depends on where the guns are mounted. The bigger issue is likely dispersion not convergence.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
B17 rear gun, level flight, target at 600 then 1250. Aimpoint was at center of the target for each shooting, 1250 is max range for bomber 50cal. Not sure why the 50cal has that much spindrift at 1250. If anything most players miss in bomber guns by not knowing the drop at range and understanding how to lead from a moving aircraft. At 1250 that dispersion has a very low chance of hitting a rapidly moving aircraft. Yes I know everyone is a perfect marksman in this game posting wishes and how dare I pass judgement. Still no one tests anything.

I thought bomber convergence was for all guns firing at the same time from the 3 ship element. Setting them to 1250 would not solve anything, the con would be inside of that convegence spot before it could do any good. Having them set at 650 gives you more chances with dispersion to get some rounds on the con past 650.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.