Author Topic: Oculus Tray Tool?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Oculus Tray Tool?
« on: December 09, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »
Someone in here mentioned the Oculus Tray Tool, which apparently still functions with Dash if the debugger is running.

My question, is it worth installing for better screen resolution and what are the tradeoffs?
I'd really like a description of what to expect as the descriptions from YouTube seem unlikely.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Oculus Tray Tool?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »
I've tried different settings with it and I've never noticed a considerable visible difference but I have seen it change the frame rate down if you set it to like more than 1.5.

I don't use it at all.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »
Thanks Kanth, good to know.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »
Easy - I used it with mixed results.  Like Kanth - I noticed some framerate drop above 1.5 - but for me it crashes my Rift anything above that.

It's suppose to increase the video quality - but I haven't noticed it.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:09:23 PM »
Someone in here mentioned the Oculus Tray Tool, which apparently still functions with Dash if the debugger is running.

My question, is it worth installing for better screen resolution and what are the tradeoffs?
I'd really like a description of what to expect as the descriptions from YouTube seem unlikely.

Not worth it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
Thanks. Three against, zero in support.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
Upon my latest stint in game with rift again. I have OTT uninstalled.

Maybe fine for movies, but for this game, dropped frames is death. It was a real frame killer, I used the OTT and watched what setting I could push SS too.

Not worth anything for games like this where the opponent is real.
Disable all v-sync and frame cap, disable all AA, and such, is my current poison. Altho its not perfect, I cut down on that stuff shimmiing around. My eyes could not focus right, it hurt.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
Disable all v-sync and frame cap, disable all AA, and such, is my current poison. Altho its not perfect, I cut down on that stuff shimmiing around. My eyes could not focus right, it hurt.

After my first couple of hours with Oculus, significant eye strain and headache.  I’m still at the bottom of a steep learning curve and eager for all the “how to” hints that are offered.   After adjusting the lense focus, there was slightly less out of focus issue.  Still working on the double vision issue while looking in the sight.  Some wiggling around tends to reduce it someonwhat.  Just need to dial it in and eliminate it.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
looking AT the site it will be doubled up, look THROUGH the site you'll see only  the one. It has to do with having two eyes  :)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
After my first couple of hours with Oculus, significant eye strain and headache.  I’m still at the bottom of a steep learning curve and eager for all the “how to” hints that are offered.   After adjusting the lense focus, there was slightly less out of focus issue.  Still working on the double vision issue while looking in the sight.  Some wiggling around tends to reduce it someonwhat.  Just need to dial it in and eliminate it.

I have and still do get eye strain, but its less after stopping all that shimmying around. All the correction software is great when your 3' away from monitor, but when your 1/2" away, u c all the correction up close. Since the rift has no clarity anyways, for me, turning off helped a lot.

I also made a foam spacer piece that loosely fits the rifts face ring. It pushes the rift away from my face around 3/8". It provides cushioning. Backing the rift up helped a lot. Something about my body type vs the rifts generalized fit. I believe the double site is just bad setup????
Remember, horizontal clarity is based on where the rift sits, up/down, on your face. Vertical clarity is with the IPD adjustment. And only the center of the rifts lens is clear, roughly a 3/4" dia area, so try to move your head to change view not your eyes.

luck

ps: every other sorty or so, I take the dam thing off and let my eyes rest. The SDE forces the yes to constantly try and focus on something, they cannot.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:21:38 AM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
For double focus - try adjusting the eyepieces left to right - not front to back.  Kind of like a pair of bino's.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips gents.

Does any one wear glasses with the rift?  Before, I used reading cheaters looking at my monitor while using TrackIR.   So far, I don’t think they’ll be necessary with the headset once I get the settings tuned up as you’ve suggested.   :salute

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips gents.

Does any one wear glasses with the rift?  Before, I used reading cheaters looking at my monitor while using TrackIR.   So far, I don’t think they’ll be necessary with the headset once I get the settings tuned up as you’ve suggested.   :salute

Puma44, someone in our squad, I think Sik1, found glasses online that are made to be inserted into the Rift.  I've read that people that try and wear their glasses while wearing the Rift take the chance of scratching the lenses in the Rift.

We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »

Puma44, someone in our squad, I think Sik1, found glasses online that are made to be inserted into the Rift.  I've read that people that try and wear their glasses while wearing the Rift take the chance of scratching the lenses in the Rift.

When trying my readers, it was evident that damage to the lenses was a sure thing over time.  Extending the lenses forward didn’t make any improvement in visual clarity for me. After the first couple of hours flying, I’ve started getting the change compared to looking at my monitor.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »
i wear reading glasses but nothing with the rift so you might not need them if you just used them for reading.

but what hyzer said is correct, don't wear glasses inside your rift you could scratch the lenses. If you find you do need correction while wearing the rift they do make the inserts.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.