Author Topic: ranging naval guns  (Read 780 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
ranging naval guns
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Sometimes when shooting 8" naval guns at a shore battery, the shell bursts seem to be visible through the shore batt hill.  Is this so?   Makes it difficult to range the guns when the burst are visible whether the range is long or short.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: ranging naval guns
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:28:02 PM »
I agree, that DOES make it hard. Seems,in my experiences at least, the closer you are to SHObats, the more the explosions are seen like this. Have seen it with base objects also,these WERE DEF up close...WAY too close :bolt: Was getting hit with 88 fire :confused:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
Kong,   Most of the time I use land mode on the Shore batteries.  I left click and hold on the SB icon and zoom the map all the way in.  Then I release the left click button and left click again just behind the SB icon.  That will give you a pretty close or spot on range.  I do have a problem though sometimes when the SB is on a little mound.  When I try to elevate the 8" barrel near the top of the mound, the range will decrease instead of increasing when I tap on the "W" key.  It only happens at the top of the mound and makes targeting the SB very difficult.  I noticed that on the CraterMA map the other day.

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »
 :aok 1i, believe the YELLOW range bar does that following the terrain-behind the Shorebat. I usually elevate till I see it drop- back down a bit and fire. Thats pretty close as well  :rock Its not as pronounced with some descent range from target, but works all the way out to guns furthest range.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain