Author Topic: Reply to comments about B17 for coastal defense not strategic bombing  (Read 2099 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
       As an isolationist country in the 1930s the use of  the B17 as a  strategic  bomber was not a political option.  So the premace of building the plane was coastal defense not strategic bombing.  even though  Those in the Army Air Corp  Knew or expected that the theory of strategic bombing would become a viable use of the 4 engine bomber. 

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
What was the B-17 supposed to bomb in "coastal defense"? 
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
The PREMISE may have been anti-shipping but this was at best only for a short while. The strategic bomber mission was made primary based on the rapidly escalating tensions in Europe.  This was well prior to actual production models being employed in active service. 

Coastal defense may have been a role, but it was hardly its main purpose.    Ever.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:20:38 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
       As an isolationist country in the 1930s the use of  the B17 as a  strategic  bomber was not a political option.  So the premace of building the plane was coastal defense not strategic bombing.  even though  Those in the Army Air Corp  Knew or expected that the theory of strategic bombing would become a viable use of the 4 engine bomber.

If you had gone to your local library and done some research...

The B-17 was not designed and produced for "coastal defense", it was the plane that won the USAAF's proposal for a strategic bomber to replace the Martin B-10.  One of the features of the new bomber was it had to have the range to be able to reach our strategic bases in the Pacific.  It was designed and used in its primary role, a strategic bomber.  The USAAF also had the other duty for anti-maritime duties, as it was the primary force in this role, not the USN as one would think.  The USAAF used multiple bomber types in this role, from the A-20 to the B-17.  Until 1943, USAAF was still training some bomber crews on how to drop torpedoes and depth charges, which is why B-26s dropped torpedoes during the battles of Midway and Aleutians.

As I mentioned in another thread, 1943 the USAAF and the USN came to an agreement where the USAAF would transfer some heavy bombers (B-24s mostly, think some B-17s too) to the USN and the USN would assume the primary role in anti-maritime operations in all theaters of combat in return for the USAAF being able to use a USN production facility for the B-29's production which was behind schedule at the time. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Not sure why you make a new treat when your other one got locked!?

However ill put a positive thing here! So it might survive! A recipe of a delicious sponge cake!

INGREDIENTS
Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
½ cup whole milk
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 large eggs, room temperature
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

RECIPE PREPARATION
Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat to 350˚. Lightly coat a 13x9" baking dish with nonstick spray, then line with parchment paper, leaving a 2" overhang on long sides. Lightly coat parchment with nonstick spray.

Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium, stirring, until butter is melted. Let cool.

Whisk flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Sift through a fine-mesh sieve onto a piece of parchment or waxed paper.

Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat eggs in a large bowl, gradually increasing speed to medium-high, until combined. Add salt and continue to beat until mixture begins to foam, about 1 minute. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add sugar; increase speed to high and beat until very light and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low again and gradually add dry ingredients, using parchment to help guide it into bowl, and beat on medium speed until no lumps remain and batter is very thick. Beat in vanilla and cooled milk mixture just until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula, give batter a good stir with spatula, then scrape into prepared pan.

Bake cake until top is golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 15–25 minutes. Let cool.

Do Ahead: Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap with plastic and store at room temperature.

Bon apatite!

DutchVII
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:31:51 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
What was the B-17 supposed to bomb in "coastal defense"?

Guess his local library didnt have that information so he made a new thread on it
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
Toilet paper roll goes over or under? HAVE A BLAST
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:16:30 AM by noman »
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline quig

• Nickel Member

However ill put a positive thing here! So it might survive! A recipe of a delicious sponge cake!

INGREDIENTS
½ cup whole milk
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup sugar

RECIPE PREPARATION
Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat to 350˚. Lightly coat a 13x9" baking dish with nonstick spray, then line with parchment paper, leaving a 2" overhang on long sides. Lightly coat parchment with nonstick spray.

Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium, stirring, until butter is melted. Let cool.

Whisk flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Sift through a fine-mesh sieve onto a piece of parchment or waxed paper.

Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat eggs in a large bowl, gradually increasing speed to medium-high, until combined. Add salt and continue to beat until mixture begins to foam, about 1 minute. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add sugar; increase speed to high and beat until very light and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low again and gradually add dry ingredients, using parchment to help guide it into bowl, and beat on medium speed until no lumps remain and batter is very thick. Beat in vanilla and cooled milk mixture just until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula, give batter a good stir with spatula, then scrape into prepared pan.

Bake cake until top is golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 15–25 minutes. Let cool.

Do Ahead: Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap with plastic and store at room temperature.

Bon apatite!

DutchVII

I just tried that recipe and this came out:

HMMMM!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
 :rofl
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
I like turtles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
This precisely mirrored exactly what I said would happen.   :old:  :devil  :bolt:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member

Over!

HAVEABLAST.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:01:06 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member

INGREDIENTS
½ cup whole milk
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup sugar

RECIPE PREPARATION

*MUNCH*

Bon apatite!

DutchVII

Lol!!

I just tried that recipe and this came out:

https://i.imgur.com/oMJ66ar.jpg

HMMMM!

LMAO!!   :rofl

This precisely mirrored exactly what I said would happen.   :old:  :devil  :bolt:

Truth.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,392915.msg5215100.html#msg5215100

HAVEABLAST!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:00:44 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member

A picture from the original patent application.  The matter appears to be settled.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
This also shows them tearing off 1 sheet at a time. I think they didn't do there due diligence on testing what was best with this particular patent. HAVE A BLAST
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO