Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 28231 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »
Guess there's no reason to destroy base dar anymore...
What a joke.

Coogan

Do you not understand the meaning of the word TESTING?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
Who pulled your chain?. Lol

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
   This is a martial art, albeit a virtual one.  Like Okinawa Te, when I discovered That I knew or cared about no other system.  Until That was no longer available to Me.   I don't know about any other WW2 sims.  After downloading This in 2013 I practiced offline for 6 months before I felt like I was trained enough for the Late war Arena.  I thought It was as close to actual WW2 air combat experience as One could find, and still do.  I thought the addition of all the trees was to help the gvers survive. then came gvdar and now all encompassing dar, quite contradictory.  The Hardcore Bufftards like Shado will not like It, because I will see them upping and get My mark 14 to the strats  long before Them and be waiting at 36,000.  as My experience tonight, It will  make more players deploy ay 30k or above. Which is fine for  Me.   More players using the Mark 14. Tbolts and Ta152s.   It is a step away from true WW2 air or land combat though.  Something to think about, surface radar for ships.  The tin cans had better dar than the cvs. and pts had surface to air and surface to surface dar, but gv to gv and air to gv dar is not the way it was in ww2.  Have a blast.  Rodbuster out. 

I agree with Rodbustr.  I would much prefer that the ALL RADAR all the time for the air not be used. I would prefer it go back to the old way where radar only worked if there was a non damaged radar tower up.
Note I dont know why the all radar on is being tested, it may not be for the future, rather its just a temporary test.

The all dar up will really affect level bomber pilots.  I personally wouldnt mind if say on one map  the all dar up worked, to make things different. Variety is the spice of life, one reason I like really bustr's new map.

<Salute> HTC

ps  i posted this before I saw Hitechs post --- edited
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
Who pulled your chain?. Lol

Coogan

Sounds to me like you are the one with the pulled chain.   

Give the guy a break.
”KILLER V”

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »

Possibly people were getting tired of kamikaze radar porkers?

- oldman (I know I was...15 years ago)

Maybe.  They're a personal pet peeve as well, jabocides are just annoying to me.  But porking a base was legitimate gameplay to deny the other side local radar coverage.

It's probable HT has an endgame in mind I don't see with the other settings he's adding.  If it were me, blowing dar coverage out to 100 miles would have accomplished pretty much the same thing as last night for air targets, without giving us the satellite recon on the enemy tanks, while also allowing porking to mean something.  The porker would have a lot more work to  do though.

I wasn't tremendously surprised at most of the peoples' gameplay changes last night.  It made me realize it changed what I do very little.

I still remember when a few years ago the dar circles were increased significantly for some time.
There results were not all that nice, and quite different from what many apparently expected to see.  :)

I remember it happening, I thought at the time it was an attempt to mitigate NOE Mission Whack-A-Mole being too common.  I don't recall what the bad side effects were offhand.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »
 :x

I just realized something FANTASTIC with ALL radar UP!

Bombers (3) vs Bombers (3)   Dogfighting COMBAT!!!!

:D :D :D VS  :D :D :D

:joystick: :joystick: :joystick: VS  :joystick: :joystick: :joystick:

:airplane: :airplane: :airplane: VS  :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
:x

I just realized something FANTASTIC with ALL radar UP!

Bombers (3) vs Bombers (3)   Dogfighting COMBAT!!!!

:D :D :D VS  :D :D :D

:joystick: :joystick: :joystick: VS  :joystick: :joystick: :joystick:

:airplane: :airplane: :airplane: VS  :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:

Which = Six Kills for Vraciu  :banana:
”KILLER V”

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
One of the bad things back then complained about was your enemy watching you spawn on your runway, then tracking you everywhere after that. I thought it was an attempt to stop those giant hoards from disappearing with 30-40 players all night long to attack feilds sectors away from any real defense. We reached a point that 300-400 people and become experts at avoiding each other while attacking fixed buildings in out of the way corners of the maps.

With total radar last night at least, for that night, the majority came together and fought. I hope at the minimum Hitech takes vehicle icons out of what radar shows. There is no point to the GV game in Aces High after that. I suspect about half of the paying customers are full and part time GV combat fans, which even in WW2 there was no radar to detect tanks. Aircraft radar had on average a 100mile range and showed everything not hidden by topographical features.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
Just keep GV dar bars at a minimum.  All seeing radar means GVs can spawn camp aircraft landing and departing.   In real life the field would be closed and pilots warned to land elsewhere.  GV dar bars mimic this. 
”KILLER V”

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2018, 02:34:58 PM »
I'm out..
I'll wait and see how things are going next year.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
The GV dot dar is awesome considering we cannot see them from the air. If you revert icons for GV's back to 3k like they used to be, there would be no need for GV dar or GV dot dar. As for the aircraft dot dar, if we go back to when you could not differentiate aircraft (bomber and fighter both used a square pixel thing) it would be sufficient.

A big problem with the MA these days was exemplified by a player on 200 earlier. He said, "They can see us coming, why even bother doing a mission." Granted, this is one guy, but many shared his sentiment. The easiest way to win is by default. Conversely, I had some great fights this morning with Anti-Horde.

The bomber as fighter on dot dar would be a welcomed change if full dar persists.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
With total radar last night at least, for that night, the majority came together and fought. I hope at the minimum Hitech takes vehicle icons out of what radar shows. There is no point to the GV game in Aces High after that. I suspect about half of the paying customers are full and part time GV combat fans, which even in WW2 there was no radar to detect tanks. Aircraft radar had on average a 100mile range and showed everything not hidden by topographical features.

Perhaps spotted GVs showing up on map for a short time would be compromise.

as well as full dar only in tower?

I did have a lot of fun in the air and on ground last night
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:41:43 PM by bangsbox »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
A big problem with the MA these days was exemplified by a player on 200 earlier. He said, "They can see us coming, why even bother doing a mission." Granted, this is one guy, but many shared his sentiment. The easiest way to win is by default. Conversely, I had some great fights this morning with Anti-Horde.

If your mission is designed around lack of response from the enemy, your mission plan sucks.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 02:42:29 PM »
If your mission is designed around lack of response from the enemy, your mission plan sucks.

Wiley.
<---- <3 it

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
Over Europe sneaking around was by NOE or taking advantage of radar focusing on a large group mission while your plane broke off on it's own. Everyone could see what everyone was up to.

You make it sound like they all had ADS-B in capable moving map GPS systems in their glass cockpits.

Reality is more often than not they didn't even know where they themselves were, let alone others. Try communicating a location of an enemy from ground to an aircraft when neither the controller on the ground nor the pilot has a precise location of the friendly aircraft.