Author Topic: Quick poll regarding "scenario design" topic  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Quick poll regarding "scenario design" topic
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:24:59 AM »
I think all CM's but me consider a "scenario design" topic to be a bad idea -- because they see too many players losing it.  I'm wondering if even players want it anymore.

Please pick one of the letters below.

A.  I want the old way.  (The old way was as follows.  The writeup was done in private by the CM team, with no public discussion or input.  Then it was posted to the public, and there were no changes allowed afterward.  Suggestions about the design were not wanted, as there would be no further changes regardless.)

B.  I want the current way.

C.  I want a "scenario design" topic in a private forum, where it would work as follows.  Anyone initially requesting entry gets in.  Anyone who gets all hot under the collar gets his post replaced with "please make your case more calmly".  If a person gets too many of those "calm down" reminders, he gets removed from the forum.

Offline bgoldy

• Zinc Member
Re: Quick poll regarding "scenario design" topic
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »
A. Haven’t flown scenarios long but I’m a simple kinda guy. Gimme a set of planes to pick from and tell me where I’m going is all I need

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:40:28 AM »
A. Or C. To much passive aggression... I know it comes from a good heart but it separate our community and in the end no one would care anymore...

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
I would suggest letter 'C'.

I would of had recommended 'A' years ago when we had massive numbers. The numbers on the game have declined so much it makes a general discussion more manageable and allows for the few players that are left to have their voices heard.

edit: If you do go for option 'C', I would recommend you add EVERYONE that requests access. Allow past misgivings that have occurred to be forgotten and attempt to move on. That goes for BOTH parties!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:35:04 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
Fire the current CMs, get new blood in there and go with A.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
C. Not many of us were fans of A.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
B

Because A means people just leave and not say anything because nothing will be changed anyway. C means less publicity and this forum already has someone to remind users the rules etc, just report to moderator.

Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
Having been on both sides of the fence I think you are damned no matter what way you go as someone will be angry.

Seems to be the best compromise is to have a private forum where the CMs and the CO and XO for both sides can meet to discuss concerns would be the best bet.  If the CO of each side wants to add additional people to that forum, then they can bring it to the group and let them know why.

It falls on the CO for each side to then sell it to their team based on the decisions the CO and XO had in the design discussion.

There is no perfect way obviously, but too many cooks make it just as miserable as how it was when it was just the CM design team having to present it.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
As I've recommended already when I was still a CM.

1) Come up with a design or completed writeup.
2) Share amongst CM team and privately amongst community members who you would personally like input from like Guppy, Devil, and others.
3) Make any adjustments you feel might be needed through thier input.
4) Share write up publicly and open registration for public.

I never understood the voting and design by community aspect. If you want help from someone knowledgeable ask them directly. Don't bog yourself down with negativity.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »

edit: If you do go for option 'C', I would recommend you add EVERYONE that requests access. Allow past misgivings that have occurred to be forgotten and attempt to move on. That goes for BOTH parties!

+1  :salute
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline BFOOT1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
As I've recommended already when I was still a CM.

1) Come up with a design or completed writeup.
2) Share amongst CM team and privately amongst community members who you would personally like input from like Guppy, Devil, and others.
3) Make any adjustments you feel might be needed through thier input.
4) Share write up publicly and open registration for public.

I never understood the voting and design by community aspect. If you want help from someone knowledgeable ask them directly. Don't bog yourself down with negativity.

Couldn’t agree more. Have set dates in each calendar year with theaters already chosen and hash out the write ups.
Member of G3MF
III Gruppe, 8 Staffel, JG52, flying Black 12 (Kuban Scenario)

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
C

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
D.

CM Team has several scenario write-ups ready. Community Votes on the Title/Topic. Scenario Write-up is issued to community immediately after vote concludes. After a week, CO's may be selected allowing time to decide if they want to, and if they can assemble a team they feel strong about. If Multiple CO requests, we do a simple lottery with an RNG. Once CO's are selected, if there are ANY concerns, they may then bring them up to the CM heading the event (Who, by the way, would be in a role of coordination, not aviation for the event). No changes will be made without getting input from the community unless it is a game altering flaw. Allow a week. The Teams will have enough to start planning while they wait for this process, so no time is lost.

Do this twice a year. MAYBE 3 times since the write-ups are already there. We don't need more, nor is there adequate time.

Those choices, A and B, are black and white, then you gave C as a suicide pill.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:06:37 PM by SEseph »
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »
Seems to be the best compromise is to have a private forum where the CMs and the CO and XO for both sides can meet to discuss concerns would be the best bet.  If the CO of each side wants to add additional people to that forum, then they can bring it to the group and let them know why.

I agree with you on the context, but from what I have seen of the scenario community on the forums, a few people are unhappy and feel their opinions are not being heard. If you have only CMs and CO/XOs in discussion of scenario design it will continue the thought that the scenario design is a "good old boys club" as CMs choose the CO/XO for each event.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
B - total transparency.

C would only be acceptable to me if the design forum was opened to viewing by everyone when the side forums are.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com