Author Topic: F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag  (Read 8721 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, there's no supersonic test airspace in existence.  Most likely, there is airspace nearby that has no supersonic flight restrictions, a rare thing in modern times.  As a kid, growing up near Holloman AFB, NM, I heard numerous sonic booms a day and was thrilled by them.  Found my passion for the Phantom one day walking alone the two blocks to school in the first grade.  A flight of four buzzed our neighborhood at low altitude.  That was my first conscious thought at six years old of “I'm going to do that”.  At age 31, after three years in the T-33 and surviving three North Dakota winters in the F-106, flew my first training sortie in the F-4D at Homestead AFB, FL.  The love affair was complete.
Yes, could have been it....they were testing F22, and breaking the sound barrier,so...you know me and CODE speak.. Either way...they were Booming! They got too many complaints, as the region was really growing up(populations). They ended it in 2008 or so. Was sort of in fly way from Knoxville,Tn south to Atlanta,Ga.Just West of mountains(Smokeys  and Cherokee Natn. Forrest. :uhoh Yep...I was same way..only the knees werent on same wave length...bastages :furious Most fun being stuck in traffic....Atlanta, durring severe Thunder Storms! Well after actually, they must have been WAY behind? Had 2 hours of absolute NON STOP take offs, and were stuck right under the flight paths :banana: Not as sexy as an F-4...but they were Air Planes :x Like 50 in an hour..I quit counting at 35 :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2018, 12:42:27 AM »
I think it was 2015. Bobbi and I were in our sailboat about 80 miles or so southwest of Seward, AK anchorage in Tonsina Bay.  We start hearing some rumbles that build in intensity and realize it was fighters having fun.  They had one of the big international war game things going and we were near the edge of the MOA.  Lots of booms!!

We were in that same bay and experienced an earthquake.  It was impressive, it was a 6.X about 70 miles or so from us.  From below in the boat it was an omnipresent rumble surrounding the boat.  At first I though we were dragging anchor but realized there was no wind or current.  Next thought was TSUNAMI!!!  We were at the head of a narrow, shallow bay about 1.5 miles from deep water.  Flipped the SSB on and no mention of tsunami warning so elected to stay put.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
A high subsonic or faster sneak attack goes something like this:

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2018, 09:55:03 AM »

And in olden days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

- oldman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2018, 10:20:42 AM »

And in olden days...

- oldman

Hard to believe that video is over twenty years old now.  SMH.

Variations of this one exist but they usually have music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JSFqImfdg

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:40:51 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »

And in olden days...

- oldman

Still hilarious no matter how many times I see it.   :rofl

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »
Still hilarious no matter how many times I see it.   :rofl
Spitfire was LOW...maybe TOO low! Of coarse I am just splitting hairs :devil, how Low is TOO LOW? I guess when its so low you are scared into ANOTHER profession? Went from Journalist to Prostitute in 3 seconds :neener:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
Spitfire was LOW...maybe TOO low! Of coarse I am just splitting hairs :devil, how Low is TOO LOW? I guess when its so low you are scared into ANOTHER profession? Went from Journalist to Prostitute in 3 seconds :neener:

You should see a couple of those passes in that link I posted.   We are talking a drop tank possibly nicking the grass  definition of low in one of them.   It was that close.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
It’s too low when unintended contact is made.  :uhoh

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
It’s too low when unintended contact is made.  :uhoh

Yeah!  But the grass was taller than a lawn at least.  LOL
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
The best you can do is tie in a low pass contest.  Personally I dislike the silly low passes, not worth the risk.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »
Yep, the ground wins pretty much every time.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:28 AM »
Yep, the ground wins pretty much every time.
I also don't like low loops at airshows.  Unnecessary manoeuvre IMHO and causes more deaths and ground collisions than required to wow a crowd.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »

My first airshow ('72-ish) was when the Thunderbirds were still flying the F-4. They loved doing this maneuver from behind the crowd. I was never so happy to fall off the roof of the car!   :grin:

I've been to lots of airshows over the years, but I'll never forget that one. I think we were stationed at Anderson AFB (Guam) at the time.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2018, 05:13:16 PM »
Haven’t seen the T bird show in awhile but, I believe the Blue Angels still the sneak pass.