Author Topic: T34 85 time for perk upgrade  (Read 14417 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: T34 85 time for perk upgrade
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »

Were I to hazard a guess, reduced T-34/85 usage would be replaced by a combination of Fireflys and Panthers.

But that's not my question. How would tactics/game play change with the switch to these vehicles.

HiTech

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2019, 04:32:32 PM »
But that's not my question. How would tactics/game play change with the switch to these vehicles.

HiTech

Ah, apologies.

Probably a lot less YOLO rushing and one-for-one kill exchanges.

Thinking on it, I'd posit that hull-down positions become rather more important with returned usage of the M4(76) and Firefly. People will gravitate towards the few open lanes of fire more.

Overall slightly increased Mean Time til Death due to reduced average travel speeds.

Dispersion of vehicles over the terrain will be more patchy. Few lanes of relatively high concentrations, and then less dense patches with people who pony up for a T-34 stalking in the denser areas, trying to flank the people stacked up on firing lanes.

Of course you'd have a few people in T-34's trying to hunt the enemy T-34's.

M18's might become quite important again actually, as the fast travel speeds could let them flank the firing lanes without the T-34's being able to engage because of the heavy cover.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
What would the effect be of Less t-34s on the battlefield? Another words how would it change the fight?
More lesser perked or unperked tanks I suppose. Panzers, M4s, T-34/76. The T-34/85 is used so much because it is fast, has a great gun, and costs very little compared to say a Panther of similar speed.

I'm not sure if tactics or gameplay would vary that much other than the use of a wider variety of tanks instead of just flocking to "the best one".
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
The T34-85 is a video game tank. After you use it a while there is almost no point in using the gun-sight. I think if you take it out of the rotation, so to speak, the game play will be less dynamic, the perk tanks will feel more secure but their price will still curtail their use, (a major shame if you ask me.) People will still drive Panzers and the other T34 but it is not like removing the 85 will make driving those tanks any more secure.

To be honest, I think you could make the heavy tanks more accessible so they would get used more. You could make them randomly free from time to time, or not have them have to drive for 2 minutes dodging bombs to land without losing all their perks, maybe that way more people would get off the concrete.
Pies not kicks.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2019, 09:17:06 AM »
Unfortunately some vehicles have all but disappeared... jagpanther for example. Maybe they should have their perks lowered to make them less rare. Shame that the programming team created them but they hardly get used due to the terrain.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
Hitech likes data collected from his game.

I created a gunnery range for tanks that allows me to spawn in at 2000yds facing a drone 90deg to it's side on level ground. I tested shooting for the T34\85, Tiger1\2, Panther and Firefly at 2000, 1500 and 1000. I did the same with the PanzerH, T34\76 and M4\76 but only at 2000 and 1500 since 1000 will be pretty obvious. Testing at 1000 was to reach the range the T34\85 could take a Tiger2 with a single Hv or AP round.

Shooter-----Target
2000yd -----Tiger2-----Tiger1-----Panther-----Firefly-----T34\85-----T34\76-----PanzerH-----M4\76
Tiger2--------1AP-------1AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
Tiger1--------2AP-------1AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
Panther------2AP--------2AP-------1AP-- ------1AP--------1AP
Firefly--------2AP-------1AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
T34\85---HvNef\12AP--2Hv\2AP--3Hv\1AP----1Hv\1AP----2Hv\1AP
T34\76---Hv\AP\Noef---Noef----19Hv\3AP- --2Hv\1AP---13Hv\12AP--6Hv\6AP----5Hv\1AP----6Hv\1Ap
PanzerH------7AP-------2AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP--------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
M4\76--------9AP-------4AP------2AP----------1AP--------2AP--------1AP---------1AP--------1AP

Shooter-----Target
1500yd -----Tiger2-----Tiger1-----Panther-----Firefly-----T34\85-----T34\76-----PanzerH-----M4\76
Tiger2--------1AP-------1AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
Tiger1--------1AP-------1AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
Panther------1AP--------1AP-------1AP-- ------1AP--------1AP
Firefly--------1AP-------1AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
T34\85-----5Hv\2AP--2Hv\1AP---1Hv\1AP----1Hv\1AP----1Hv\1AP
T34\76---Hv\AP\Noef---Noef-----2Hv\2AP- --2Hv\1AP----1Hv\1AP----4Hv\2AP----2Hv\1AP----4Hv\2Ap
PanzerH------3AP-------2AP-------1AP---------1AP--------1AP--------1AP---------1AP--------1AP
M4\76--------5AP-------2AP-------1AP------ --1AP--------1AP--------1AP---------1AP--------1AP

Shooter-----Target
1000yd -----Tiger2-----Tiger1
T34\85-----1Hv\1AP--1Hv\1AP
T34\76---Hv\AP\Noef---Noef

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
So... the t34 85 gun is pretty darn good. Sights aren't as good as German tanks but at MA ranges it's not usually an issue....

What about frontal shots?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »
Find out for yourself, it took hours to get that data oh lazy one, anyone has access to the terrain editor. I chose 90 deg as the benchmark of most often armor hit for all rides tested. Most of these tanks are almost impregnable into the galcias, T34\85 and others are beasts at off angles from 90deg. You test long enough and also start finding variances in the armor that can be exploited. Our tank aces probably know them and is part of why the T34\85 is so devastating. I started seeing those variances as I replicated shots to make sure 1AP was a standard for a given range.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
Since the accepted wisdom in AH3 is that tank combat takes place between 1000-2000 on average, the data collection of tank round effectiveness places the 85mm AP up there in the top 3 heavy guns not 88mm. In my testing I found even at 90deg against the T34\85 armor, shot placement at 1500-2000 could result in ricochets if you were not hitting under the upper sloped armor. The Panther a little less, while the only benefit the Panther had was it's hitting power against Tiger2 at 1500-2000. The two rides seem to me as identical in hitting power for normal MA engagements with the Hv round being problematical versus the AP.

What then is the difference in the Panther and T34\85 that causes so many to choose the T34? Should only the Tiger1\2 be perked or even only the Tiger2? From the shooting data you can extrapolate how well other rides in the tank stable will be expected to do between 1500-2000. From 1500-2000 the Tiger2 is the only beast in the stable, maybe at 3000 it's gun becomes equally ineffective as all the rest.

I will also venture from my range experience that no two players are getting the same results when they line up the aiming reticle. In the T34\85 at 1500-2000 I found just the width of the horizontal line high or low translated into ricochet or hits into the tracks and wheels. Same with the german optics triangles and the US\Brit ladder. Offline my drones are not effected by the internet for positioning, so is it possible internet issues can make what you think is a just under the upper armor killshot a ricochet off the sloped armor just above? I have listened for years during fights, players complaining about things like that after firing 5-7 shots. The T34 sloped upper armor takes a lot of rounds if all you want to do is create ricochets. That sloped armor may well be 1\2 it's selling point versus other rides. My squad has 3 hard core tankers and from time to time they have logged for the evening due to that. And this is all AH3 standard combat range 1500-2000.  Until I got used to the T34\85 sight, I scored lots of ricochets off that upper armor at a 90deg to the tank shot on my range. It took awhile to learn where to aim for a 1 shot kill. And that may well be another issue entirely since with each tank tested especially at 2000, I had to learn where the 1 shot kill spot was for rounds less than the 88mm.

I remember a long time ago someone telling me the reason they could shoot faster than most other tank players was that they used dry erase marks on their monitor so they could stay in commander mode for the better vision. I tested something like that on my tank range but, with a silk thread taped on my monitor frame. Works pretty good 1000-1500, and I do use a ball mouse which gives me very good control of my turret. This leads to another common complaint I hear, how can players see through trees or over hills. The gun position aiming port is 3-5ft below the eye level of the commander while the round in some cases will arc just over the hilltop dropping into the target or pass through the leaves of the trees on the way out.

So just like with air combat ACM, some tank players invest more time and effort into the game like I just spent my Sunday building a test arena with a gunnery range to collect data on the tank cannons in this game. My current terrain in production still benefited from it since I needed to know something about how a tile looks on flat ground that I'm using on the terrain. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »
By the way, here is the gunnery range, I use the tiny vbase so it can generate tanks in the 6 drone slots. Then I set the spawn into the place at 2000yds from the closest drone tank. I up the target with the target command at 2000. It's just a matter of changing the target to 1500 then 1000 and driving forward. The drone slot is number four so I change out tank targets on the fly.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2019, 02:13:47 PM »
Unless gun performance has changed since the AH2, the T-34/85's Zis-S-53 is actually among the weakest performers in practical terms beyond 1200m.

The primary problem being a lack of penetration especially against other T-34's, with the compound angle on the armor when an opponent properly angles their tank defeating the gun nearly 100% of the time in practical applications.

The Hetzer was a strong performer against the T-34/85 since its effectively immune from the frontal quarter beyond about 800m.

The pure killing power of the Zis-53 WHEN IT PENETRATES has been known about for a long time; this can be inferred without any experience from damage tables, and is certainly well known to HiTech.

More useful would be logs of real-usage data, such as rounds fired before first hit, percentage of hits ricochetting, penetrations to kill, and type of round fired.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
It's WAYYYY to powerful and damage resistant.

Everybody like to say that. Proving it is another matter.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
Unless gun performance has changed since the AH2, the T-34/85's Zis-S-53 is actually among the weakest performers in practical terms beyond 1200m.

The primary problem being a lack of penetration especially against other T-34's, with the compound angle on the armor when an opponent properly angles their tank defeating the gun nearly 100% of the time in practical applications.

The Hetzer was a strong performer against the T-34/85 since its effectively immune from the frontal quarter beyond about 800m.

The pure killing power of the Zis-53 WHEN IT PENETRATES has been known about for a long time; this can be inferred without any experience from damage tables, and is certainly well known to HiTech.

More useful would be logs of real-usage data, such as rounds fired before first hit, percentage of hits ricochetting, penetrations to kill, and type of round fired.

Guess I just made up that data table 1000-2000yds and didn't spend my Sunday building a gunnery range and collecting data from Hitech's virtual world. 1200m is 1312yds and the table shows 1AP killing shots doing quite well for the T34\85 in Hitech's environment at 2000. Becasue of the AH3 speedtree trees and clutter, the majority of game combat is 1000-2000 distance. So, do you have any Hitech environment collected data to share? Part of my investment in this data collection is the 4th MA terrain I have in production right now. I am very curious in this whole T34\85 discussion due to testing on my new terrain that opened my eyes to an aspect of how tanks are rendered. This is at a distance related to even a single tree they sit under or just behind, especially on dissimilar elevations. The AH3 trees and clutter hides tanks better with less of it. Ties back to my range shooting tests and issues related to the reticles in this game since I can put tank drones anywhere on my terrains to test seeing them and shooting at them. That was last week when I tested that on my new terrain for several days.

You got any data like that to offer, I'm pulling my own testing data to help build better tank combat micro terrain for the MA. I don't much care about the real world since I'm building against the data pulled from testing in Hitech's virtual world. Hitech once told me 1Mil is one unit wide at 1000 dist in his world. So I had to build a gunnery range to test for Hitech's data not test for the real world.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »
Bustr you make great maps and I am glad they are in the rotation. You have to admit you are not a regular GV'er. It is not your thing. Nothing wrong with that. There is allot to do in AH and many prefer to fly fighters and bombers. All many of us who mostly GV are asking is to please up the perk value of the T-34/85 to be more on the level with the Panther G. If there is no ENY, the value of the Panther G is approx. 12.  Make the perk value of the T-34/85 Ten only because it does not have a zoomed in scope available. The T-34/85 historically was a great tank. It literally gave the Germans fits. Angled armor required precise shots for a kill or the shot ricocheted off. The Tiger 1 and Panther G were specifically developed to counter it. What allot of GV'er would like is to see is all the GV's in the line up being used. Keyword here is: All of the GV's being used. If you increase the perk value of the T-34/85 it will be used less often. It will still be used but more in line with the Panther G usage.

My two cents

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
I can't see why the jeep is not used more..... I mean Rat Patrol and all. They slaughtered everything. It was even on TV.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)