Author Topic: AXIS AAR HERE  (Read 1541 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
AXIS AAR HERE
« on: November 10, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
308 Only had 3 pilots show up, out of 4-6 registered.  Boo!
8th Army had ZERO pilots show up, out of 11-15 registered.  Double Boo!

I assigned 11-16 pilots (on paper) to torpedo attacks and only 3 showed up.  That is pathetic.

Fortunately Hazed, Nuttz, and Durr showed up as guest pilots, so along with Dasko, CFIT, and myself, we had 6 "Betty" bombers.  Nobody from the 8th was there to invite Durr as a guest so I invited him.  We were over the 2 guest limit.  Sue me.    :)

Anyways we found plenty of Allied ships.  Our first attack we missed just barely on a CV.  Lost 2 planes (CFIT and Nuttz) and another (Dasko) got shot up.  Dasko got his plane home but it was in no condition to continue fighting.

The remaining three refueled and found a fleet with a heavy cruiser.  We lost two planes but Hazed hit the jackpot and sunk her.

It would have been nice to have sunk ships on both runs but considering the no-shows and our lack of experience in these attacks, I am happy with the result.  

Hats off to JG 2 for doing an excellent scouting job.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
8th Army no show? Out of 11-15?! Not good! I will be in contact with them.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2001, 02:52:00 AM »
Wohoooo what a slaughter!!
The 56th and guests got assigned Tonis. We separated in 3 flights. I was tasked to lead Red flight, a formation of 3 Ki67s (Nomde, Ammo and me).

We took our assigned cap position, south of the 2 other KIs groups. Other reported massive flight of F6, I could see them too, I counted at least 15. I ordered my group to stay with me, and wait to the fight to unfold. No time for that, S-SE a tight formation of 8-10 ship slighlty higher showed up.
From now on I knew we would all die there  :D
I flew straight to the incoming 10 ship formation and asked nomde/Ammo to follow me to our death. I flew straight to them, followed by Ammo/Nomde a couple of thousand yards behind me. Maybe we could make them drop their load if heavy.
It was a prety sight to see all those F6s simultaneously bank toward me.  :cool:  I did a hard turn toward them to maximize their deflection shot ... and I mean their.  :D  None hit me and I was now "runing" (assuming a Ki67 can run from a Hellcat), toward Ammo/Nomde. I quickly counted 7 Hellcats in my 6, ranging from 500y to 1.1k. Bullets and tracers where all over my airframe, luckly I received only 3 pings till they finally broke away to get Nomde/Ammo.
One was still after me 800y, I was still doing those medium bank high speed waves. Ammo was right behind him, but he must have saw him because he broke away.
No way I was turning back,  Ammo was on a parralel course, runing in my right wing 2k away. Looking over my shoulder I saw nomde in a turnfight with 7 Hellcats. geez ... horrible felling, like when u run for ur life from a pack of wolf and the guy just behind you falls and they all jump on him.
Runing away we spoted the Big furball, I guess where Mindnight's group was. Ammo went right in, I stayed high, looking at the numbers, it was suicide.
I could do only a full 360, 3 high Hellcat shaped on the horizon. I started to run, 2 made a pass on me but missed and broke away. I kept runing at about 10K, away from icon range, i thought I was safe, but checking my 6 an Hellcat was camping in my 1.3.
After 3 min it was clear that the Hellcat was gaining. We were above the land, 1 sector away from the big furball. The Hellcat was very dangerous now, 700y my 6 and probably about to open up. I tried to lost him in some high G, high speed manoeuvers but he was still there ... 400y ... EECK ... He must not be a newbie then ... that's my luck.
Only choice was to turnfight, I went for the hard stuff, no more mister nice guy. 3 ACM later I was on his six and could score 3 pings on his right wing tip from 350y and 1 on his middle of the wing. (Hehehe, maybe he was a newbie actually)   ;)
He was on the defensive for 2 manoeuvers and I spoted a second Hellcat diving in (geez, we were not so far actually  :eek: ). I had to brake off from the targeted Hellcat six to avoid his wingman pass. That was trouble as the Hellcat was doing great in the turnfight, didn't left much room for error.
I was 1 vs 2, very soon 1 vs 3 and finally 1 Vs 4 ... that was too much, all i could do was avoid attack after attack. tatata ...vrooommmm ... every 10 secs. I knew I was a question of time before one of those guys would line me up. time to try to kill one of those guys. I lead turn hellcat, did a high yoyo and ended up in his 6 at 300y on a hard left turn. I observed numerous hits all along his fuselage. I thought he was down for the count but he was still flying, I didn't had time for a second burst, I eard 4 pings and my plane spiraled down. I didn't even visually check if it was an actual damage, I bailed right away.
While hanging on my chute, I saw the Hellcat coming back toward East. One of them was smoking black hehehe maybe he will have to ditch.

We were badly outnumbered, it scared the hell out of us. We tried to do our best, and I think we put a valiant and courageous fight. Reading the Allied ARR, I was surprised that so many got shot down, I thought that they massacred us. It was a nice ego boost to have been able to give so much trouble to those 4 Hellcats, i didn't shot down any, but at least 2 must have been scared to death   :p
Good job 56th, we went down with a good fight ... we can't win them all   :)
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
8th Army didn't show .. so that is why we didn't find any JU88s!

Truthfully that sucks that you lost a good part of your bomber forces.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Don't have kill counts handy, but we were in Frenchy's mix of f6fs, and there were a friggen ton of em.

We brought a few down, I'm guessing 3 or 4 without having pilot aars yet, but had a blast with trying to bring as many down with us as possible.  I don't know how many there were, but when ammo said he saw 20, I couldn't see him anymore but had a dozen with me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
TAS with 3 pilots patrolled E of 9 without result. Heard reports of bogies to north, turned N to intercept. While enroute, were vectored towards the 7 area by Higher HQ, along with another flight (Wotan's) that was some distance to the E of our flight.

Wotan's flight of 4-5 Ki's engaged the 332 Mongrels first and TAS turned to get to the fight.

When we arrived, the fight was swirling around 20k (co-alt) and we pitched in as it went down to the deck.

No way of telling who had killed what when we arrived because there were aircraft everywhere.

When the skies cleared, all the Hellcats were down and all 3 TAS and Raubvogel of Wotan's flight RTB'd to 7 to rearm.

HHQ directed us to patrol between 7 and the Southern port (34?) and we arrived at about 12k just in time to spot Hellcats inbound. As we approached, it looked like the 'Cats rushed their attack on the port and we believe all 4 were shot down by ack as we closed to within 1k in the dive. No damage to the port facility was observed.

We then patrolled E again, looking for an enemy CV group. Cloud deck above us most of the time. Just as we got into the clouds, we spotted a lone Hellcat and I engaged. He dove down and almost immediately other Hellcats arrived above the flight and dove on us. Another swirling dogfight ensued. It was 7 Hellcats v 4 Ki; Raub got caught typing the raid alert to HHQ almost immediately. The remaing TAS managed to knock down 2 'Cats but the other 5 finished us.

Overall Wotan's group and TAS jointly claim:

8 Hellcats of 332nd Flying Mongrels

4 Hellcats, squad unknown, driven into Port ack  :D and killed by our groundpounders.

2 Hellcats of the VMF-101 Nightmares.

TAS lost 3 Ki.

Wotan's group lost? 4-5 Ki?

A good time was had by all!

See ya next time!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
Fatty,

As for your question on how many F6Fs were there, well there were three squads of em patrolling east of Samar Island.

Nightmares VMF-101 = 15
  332 Flying Mongrels=  9
  Assassins          = ??
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Funked the squad you are talking about is the U.S. 8th Armored Division correct? The C.O. is 8thpappy. None of them showed up???
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2001, 10:41:00 AM »
The only member of the 8th Armored to show was Durr.  I was very impressed with him and he flew as a guest dd...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
Toads aar is on the money.

JV44 was directed from cap at a 9 along with the 13th to make haste to a34. Reports from tower there stated tha cons were heading n toward a7 possibly.

I gave the order for my guys to drop tanks and head to a7.

We got spread out a bit. When we spotted about 7 cons about 2-3k higher n of a7.

We engaged and the damndest things happened.

Bradys5 Urchin and 1 were on rw. When ever we pulled the trigger we heard poppin sounds and the screen would freeze for just a 1/10th of a second. Some easy kills escaped us.

I eventually pinged 3 aircraft 1 i know died 1 possible

we claim 2 deffinate as many as 5 possible as they took hits from our HOS...... :)

13th tas came in and cleaned up

rw has been a pain since 1.08 and the newest version of rw was released dont know how they relate but it seems maybe direct x sound may have something to do with it.

All and All was good while it lasted.

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
<S> Durr. Sorry to hear no one else showed up. I have little choice after hearing from your C.O.
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
Durr is not part of the 8th Armored officially.  He was supposed to be their guest pilot but they never showed up to invite him to the squad.  He accepted invitation to fly the rest of the TOD with 308.

Sounds like our offensive strategy worked perfectly.  They attacked on the edges as predicted and the soft middle was exposed to our torpedo birds.  The Bettys never once saw an enemy plane.  If only we hadn't been short so many pilots!

Fighter guys <S> for outstanding effort against superior numbers and equipment.  We can't match the Yankee Air Pirates' manufacturing capabilities but it sounds like we have them beat in pilot ability.  If we ever get even numbers (or some N1K2-J MUAHAHAH) they are in deep kim chee.  BANZAI!!!      :)

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
8th Pappy showed up two weeks ago to fly in the last TOD and he soon realized he was early and had to wait for the next scenario to start and so left.  So, maybe he's confused on his actual start date.

Of note:  I haven't flown much in the MA the last couple weeks except for this last Thur/Fri and I used to always see his name in the text buffer but do not recall seeing it the last two days.  Maybe his 2 weeks are up?

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Toad,

I was part of that Mongrel flight.  And dabnabbit my film won't work so that I can get a better understanding of what happened (and a few cool furball screen caps.)  But it did seem to me during the fight that the Tonys multiplied or something.  Or maybe like in cartoons were able to zip around the sky and be in three places at once.   ;)

If I understand you right, another flight of Tonys entered the fight.  That may make sense now that I think back on it.  I was too busy with the few Tonys to pay attention if any others joined in.  How many did you bring into the fight?  (I counted five dots initially prior to the 2nd flight engaging.)  Speaking just for me, even though I got shot down it was a BLAST!

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
AXIS AAR HERE
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
OUr carrier under repair the 6th Kokutai 'The Eyes of the Emperor" started their mission from A9.

We had 5 pilots to cover 4 quadrants of airspace.  Individual sectors were givern to 4 pilots, while UrAnis circiled the middle to be quick to assist.  The enemy task force was sighted upon reaching our assigned areas and a location and course intercept data was transmitted.

We kept sight of the TF and was ordered to cover 9.

We covered airfield 9 and had no fruther contact with the enemy.

All pilots landed intact, but Swagger lost an arielon somehow.

Had fun and looking forward to next week.!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.