Author Topic: Setting Up key mapping for views  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Darkdiz

• Zinc Member
Setting Up key mapping for views
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »
Hey folks:
Trying to use the alt, ctrl and shift keys to map alternate views (up and down) to the keypad, and by extension my TM Cougar.  However, when I try to set it up, the alt, ctrl and shift keys disappear on the picture of the keyboard on the keymapping screen, so those particular keys cannot be selected.  If memory serves me, this was a bug that was fixed in AH2, looks like it snuk back in ;)

Cheers
Talent hits a target no one else can hit
Genius hits a target no one else can see

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Setting Up key mapping for views
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:51 AM »
I can confirm that.

The three keys are visible even in the View section of the key mapper but disappear as soon as you click "Look <direction>.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 05:35:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Aces High, uses the Ctrl, Alt, Shift and DEL keys for commands such as Shift G to lower/raise tail hook, or Ctrl D to display the Damage List, or like Alt S for Screenshots of Alt R to turn on/off film recording.... ALt X, Ctrl X, Shift X to set auto climb/speed combat trim etc etc etc...

Edit: there are more commands, I just listed several...

But this is why you don't have access to use them in the "key mapping" portion of controllers setup/settings

Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:37:55 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:54:38 AM »
Hey folks:
Trying to use the alt, ctrl and shift keys to map alternate views (up and down) to the keypad, and by extension my TM Cougar.  However, when I try to set it up, the alt, ctrl and shift keys disappear on the picture of the keyboard on the keymapping screen, so those particular keys cannot be selected.  If memory serves me, this was a bug that was fixed in AH2, looks like it snuk back in ;)

Cheers

Keyboard NumPad :  5 = up view,  0 = down view

You can use these keys in combination with up to 3 numbers like a combination of 5,2,3 would be upwards back right view or 0,2,3 would be downwards back right view...

You would be better off going into the controllers setup and use your mouse to select the controller you want to map, then use the drop-down box and look through all of the options across Global, Flight, Views etc....then just simply pressing a hat-switch, button, lever or pad button should easily allow you to program just about anything er any type of alternate views you want...

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
Heh, TC, you fell for the same as I did before re-reading the post! I had all that almost finished before double checking what he wrote.

There's no issue in using the three buttons in conjunction with other buttons for mostly any function. Only when you go to Map Keys, choose View and try to configure a Look function, the three buttons suddenly disappear from the map.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03:58 AM »
Shift,Ctrl and Alt keys can not be mapped to functions. They are modifier keys to other non hold down key combinations.

Hold down functions are different then normal functions in that when you release them something happens.

And example of non hold down is start engine Pressing the E key starts the engine, but letting the key up does nothing.

A hold down key example is a view keys, when you press the Left arrow you look left and when you release it you look forward again.

HiTech

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
I should have researched for the "modifier" portion I left out of my 1st reply

I thought that the arrow keys moved your view(s) while you are holding down, lets use the NumPad 4 to look left...and the page-up/page-down to raise or lower your view (head position) until you get your desired effect then hit F10 to save

TC

Offline Darkdiz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
Way back when... I used to have my Cougar use the ctl and alt keys to map the view function to my POV hat.  So when I want to look, say up/left, I move my pov hat to the left, and hit alt (mapped to my paddle switch through TARGET, the Thrustmaster software), causing the view to move up and left.  The same is true to map the CTL function to any of the down views.  The problem is that the actual keys on the keyboard image used in AH to map key assignments disappears when you try to select any view.  If you look in, say GLOBAL, sure enough all of the shift, alt and ctl keys are visible, and selectable.  Even in VIEW, the keys are initially visible, but disappear when you try and select a view that you want mapped.  They are there one minute, but disappear when you physically click on any of the view keys (for example look left).  Not sure if they remain visible and selectable for any of the padlock functions).
Like I mentioned earlier in my initial post, this was a bug in AH2, I mentioned it, it was fixed in VERY quick order (good job guys!!!).  Patch came out, lo and behold, shift, alt and ctl were visible in the view section of the keymapping function section of the game.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
DarkDiz,

Was you using the same AH message boards user name back then in AH2 when you reported it before? If not, what was your AH message boards user name when you posted about it back then?

Or if you search through all your posts on the boards, could you find the thread link from back then and post it here, please

TC

Offline Darkdiz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:29:40 PM »
DarkDiz,

Was you using the same AH message boards user name back then in AH2 when you reported it before? If not, what was your AH message boards user name when you posted about it back then?

Or if you search through all your posts on the boards, could you find the thread link from back then and post it here, please

TC

I was using the same alias.  It showed up as soon as I searched for Darkdiz.  Not sure how to repost it here though  :embarrassed:
I think this will work though
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,328072.msg4324825.html#msg4324825

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:23 PM »
Yes, that worked... Are you not able to set your controllers up, like you posted in the provided link?

Or, from what I'm interpreting from this current thread you posted last night, that you are trying to use the Alt/Ctrl/Shift keys in a different way?

The 2012 thread you have referred to, it appears that the Alt/Ctrl/Shift keys are still "modifier keys", the same as they are still in AH3 and were way back in AH1.... Going on my failing memory here...

Wanting to try to help you get your desired setup for your controllers...

What all are you using?
 (ex: I use CH products fighterstick, Pro Throttle and 1st edition gameport with gameport-to-usb adapter rudder pedals -not the Pro version, Logitech G510 programmable keyboard with LED/LCD screen, Gigabyte GM-8800 optical 9 functions programmable mouse)

Your 2012 post/thread only refer to jumping planes or positions or switching different fields of view, with the use of the modifier keys

Your new thread/post you started last night seems to be completely different ie:  2012 Global/Flight vs current thread Views

Hmm.... Do you understand how Ive presented how they are different?

Hope this helps.... If I've missed something, or explanation is wrong, someone correct me please

TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:05 AM »
As a side note, I just tried to take a screenshot of the keymap. Well, because it involves pressing buttons, Alt+S didn't work. PrtSc worked, sort of: It created a pasteable blank image the size of the screen. So I tried filming the procedure. The film viewer works fine but it doesn't show the key mapping procedure at all! Only the inside of the Tower. Needless to say that I also tried all of this without having the key mapper open with no issues.

Anyhow, there's several things where you can't choose Ctrl, Alt or Del. The View>Look have already been mentioned, Global>Chk6, Fire, Map Zoom; Flight>Brakes,Trim, RPM; Chute>Move except for Run; Vehicle>Turn L/R etc.

What I find curious is that Voice Transmit Channel allows using those modifier buttons but Voice Transmit Range doesn't!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:40:52 AM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 12:27:51 PM »
What I find curious is that Voice Transmit Channel allows using those modifier buttons but Voice Transmit Range doesn't!

I just fixed the bug, Transmit channel was not set up correctly.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
Wow! Something good came from digressing!  :cheers:

Kotisivuni

Offline Darkdiz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
Thanks for the help TC, nice to see someone interested in actually helping a noob ;)
If you have an emaill addrfess, I can send you my files from AH2, when Foxy was the Thrustmaster software used to set up the Cougar.  Don't worry, it is WELL documented.  The problem was when I updated to W10, Foxy no longer worked for me, and so I had to re-code everything from TARGET, not a small task.  Probably the main reason I stopped playing AH, couldn't figure out how to get TARGET to give me what Foxy did.
As for setting up my TM Cougar, I have it set up, it is workable, flyable, but not tweaked 100% to my liking.  As I find time, I tweak it here and there, it is a work in progress.
My idea is to have 3 sets of views.  The first set, non-shifted, mapped to the POV hat, gives normal views (look left, look right, look back left etc).  The second set, the "up" views are the same keypad assignments, but alt-shifted.  So look up-left would be alt KP4.  The alt shift is mapped to either my paddle switch (S4) or to the pinky button, S3.  This allows me to say press POV L (KP4), giving me the normal left wing view, then presing in the paddle switch on the joystick (S4), shifting the view up.  Releasing the S4 switch returns the view to POV L, releasing the POV returns the view to forward.
The third set of views is similar, only it is CTL shifted, and would correspond to the down views.
If memory serves me, that was pretty much what I had programmed in Foxy, and it worked quite well.  TARGET though, another story, I find the instruction that come with it very incomplete, no command list etc (another rant for another day).
If you want to see what I HAD in Foxy, drop me an email to darkdiz@hotmail.com, I'll zip up the files and send them direct to you.