Author Topic: 3 and 4 blades  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
3 and 4 blades
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
Going by an airport near my house I saw a twin engine airplane.  One propeller had three blades, the other propeller had four blades.  I'm thinking they are in the process of replacing one of the props.  But it got me to thinking;  What would be the effect of this on the airplane?  I'm guessing an imbalance of thrust, and a lot of vibration.  I'd like to hear from some of the real airplane experts around here.  What would happen if you flew that plane that way?
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: 3 and 4 blades
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:34:08 PM »
The real question would be what happens if you put said plane on a conveyor belt.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »
The real question would be what happens if you put said plane on a conveyor belt.

Pancakes.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »

It would be conveyed.  :D

To the OP, I figure it would fly fine with tuning the engines to equal thrust. Should be no vibration if props are not damaged. Might be some sound/harmonics.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »
Might be some sound/harmonics.

In that case, install a harmonica.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 12:20:37 AM »
In that case, install a harmonica.

(Image removed from quote.)

Bet you had to fiddle to get that one to twang.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:30 AM »
I replaced a 2-blade wood propeller for a 3-blade Arplast composite propeller on my ultralight.

The result was most notably in it's climb rate, +100 feet per minute more with the Arplast.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »
It would fly fine, you could simple adjust the manifold pressure to = the thrust between the engines. And there would not be very much difference between the thrust of the props except at slow speeds depending on the diameters could also change the thrust curve at slow speeds.

At higher/cruise speeds there would be only a minor difference in thrust with the 4 blade most likely producing less then the 3 blade.

And I can not think of any reason that it would increase vibration.

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
Bet you had to fiddle to get that one to twang.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
It would fly fine, you could simple adjust the manifold pressure to = the thrust between the engines. And there would not be very much difference between the thrust of the props except at slow speeds depending on the diameters could also change the thrust curve at slow speeds.

At higher/cruise speeds there would be only a minor difference in thrust with the 4 blade most likely producing less then the 3 blade.

And I can not think of any reason that it would increase vibration.

HiTech

Ok, so it wouldn't necessarily be hard to fly.  Except when it's on the ground the other planes will laugh at it.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
I was told by one of my early instructors, an old school piston guy who flew every round engine plane you can think of that generally speaking you’ll get better climb performance out of four blades and better cruise out of three.    He also said three bladed props are smoother because of the geometry required to balance them compared to four-bladed props. 

For the same RPM you’ll have more noise/vibration because the blades pass the cabin more frequently with four blades vs three.   OTOH, to have symmetric thrust my guess would be the engines might not be at the same RPM, thus you’ll get the annoying “Washing Machine Charlie” thrum.

Just a guess.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
Going by an airport near my house I saw a twin engine airplane.  One propeller had three blades, the other propeller had four blades.  I'm thinking they are in the process of replacing one of the props.  But it got me to thinking;  What would be the effect of this on the airplane?  I'm guessing an imbalance of thrust, and a lot of vibration.  I'd like to hear from some of the real airplane experts around here.  What would happen if you flew that plane that way?

Here is Hartzell’s take. 

http://hartzellprop.com/are-more-propeller-blades-better/

They don’t get into the frequency of the pulses and so forth.    Higher frequencies are easier to block with a headset or ANR system than low frequencies are.    The number of blades will affect this for a given thrust output. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:15:14 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)