Author Topic: Please perk or reduce the late war monsters  (Read 36344 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Please perk or reduce the late war monsters
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 08:07:46 PM »
I don't think the problem is fixable with current technology. You need code that will peer into the dark recess of the players soul and discern evil and narcissism. Once you have that figured out the rest is easy.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »
I don't think the problem is fixable with current technology. You need code that will peer into the dark recess of the players soul and discern evil and narcissism. Once you have that figured out the rest is easy.

What game are you playing?  :O

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
I think this is the best game of its genre but there is a general tendency to run first fight second

Nothing new there.  "Runners" have been a complaint since at least 1995.  Usually they respond with the phrase "flying smart."

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
Some of us wonder what % of 'runners' are pilots that sustained a wound on the first pass.  :old:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 09:20:20 PM »

Nothing new there.  "Runners" have been a complaint since at least 1995.  Usually they respond with the phrase "flying smart."

- oldman

This^^^

maybe charge a perk based on the player,ranking,time in game,hours of play etc.  Sort of an eny for the player,once a certain level is reached then they must pay a perk price for said late war monsters?  Could even base the perk on the planes eny or whatever and as the players rating is increased so is the perk cost of the plane.

Of course then this will lead to socalled timid flying etc.

:salute

PS: I meant "smart" flying...... :devil

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 09:33:34 PM »
Statistically speaking. Just by looking at a few months stats, the 190D is the best fighter in AH right now. It has a thousand more kills than the other top fighters other than the P51 and Spit16, with a much better K/D. Wouldnt it be better to reduce that usage to a 1000 kills like the Tempest? Too many of these planes are bad for noobs. Top E fighters should not be able to take over the MA. A 5-10 eny perk for top E planes would go a long way in bringing back balanced fights.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »
How does keeping new players out of the top fighters help?

Unless new players are given a certain amount of perks to spend they will be limited to unperked planes and easy meat. Unless thats what you're looking for?

If you want to keep the better players out of these planes then the only solution I see is a perk system that applies once a player reaches a certain rating or rank.

Ask Shuff,he could care less if he had to pay 20 perks for a D9,he has plenty to spend but chooses to fly a twin engine bomber..... :devil

Now what and how you base the ranking/rating well thats above my pay grade!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »
Statistically speaking. Just by looking at a few months stats, the 190D is the best fighter in AH right now. It has a thousand more kills than the other top fighters other than the P51 and Spit16, with a much better K/D. Wouldnt it be better to reduce that usage to a 1000 kills like the Tempest? Too many of these planes are bad for noobs. Top E fighters should not be able to take over the MA. A 5-10 eny perk for top E planes would go a long way in bringing back balanced fights.

Didn't you land 5 kills in a Tempest earlier today (why the long face, ace)? And how is the Dora getting so many kills by running away all the time?  :D

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 10:36:48 PM »
What game are you playing?  :O

Aces High V, The Apocalypse Has Arrived

(comes with submarines and the Beaufighter)
Pies not kicks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »
Aces High V, The Apocalypse Has Arrived

(comes with submarines and the Beaufighter)

Alas, still no Sparviero.  :huh

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 11:23:07 PM »
How does keeping new players out of the top fighters help?

Unless new players are given a certain amount of perks to spend they will be limited to unperked planes and easy meat. Unless thats what you're looking for?

If you want to keep the better players out of these planes then the only solution I see is a perk system that applies once a player reaches a certain rating or rank.

Ask Shuff,he could care less if he had to pay 20 perks for a D9,he has plenty to spend but chooses to fly a twin engine bomber..... :devil

Now what and how you base the ranking/rating well thats above my pay grade!

It's actually discouraging it's use due to being perked, much like the temp so that it keeps most good players from abusing them and making the game harder for the noobs. More players having to fly top E planes to compete discourages fights. If everyone flew temps the fights would be high and slow. That's what the 190 does. It has 3100 kills which is more than most planes x 5. 2K more than the temp. In almost any other game, the new player has to earn something for better equipment. There are plenty of great planes for noobs to fly but there are many good sticks abusing top E planes and that makes it harder for noobs even if they have to resort to flying that top E plane as well. I sorta agree with your idea morf, but I am just trying to make it as simple as possible. A small adjustment is necessary for healthy gameplay. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 04:30:20 AM »
Realistically Violator, you're a way above average stick. Obviously you are going to have a very hard time getting a fight out of a 12-12 merge with observably good flying in the first merge. Blowing through and coming back for a pick is far preferable for a less skilled opponent. I don't think any game mechanic can reliable address that.

Perks only address the plane choice in the short-term and don't factor in the human half of the equation. Zackbell - for instance - flies a Spit9 just like most people fly a Dora.

Probably your best solution would be to pursue fights based on 12-6 merges and reversals of fortune. 'Timid' / 'smart' / 'safe' players usually have an OODA loop you can manipulate and although it's much more risky I found such an approach also rewarding. Also saves a lot of tedious & time-consuming pre-fight jostling for position and can alter your plane choice. You aren't going to get a massively high score with this approach of course, if that's important to you.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
It's actually discouraging it's use due to being perked, much like the temp so that it keeps most good players from abusing them and making the game harder for the noobs. More players having to fly top E planes to compete discourages fights. If everyone flew temps the fights would be high and slow. That's what the 190 does. It has 3100 kills which is more than most planes x 5. 2K more than the temp. In almost any other game, the new player has to earn something for better equipment. There are plenty of great planes for noobs to fly but there are many good sticks abusing top E planes and that makes it harder for noobs even if they have to resort to flying that top E plane as well. I sorta agree with your idea morf, but I am just trying to make it as simple as possible. A small adjustment is necessary for healthy gameplay.

The simple point you're ignoring is that new players do not like being unable to fly perk planes.  Your actual complaint is that players can evade you. That's not much of a complaint. Trying to prop it up with an opinion that it's not good for the game is not convincing. Nobody likes to see their target run away but HTC's solution for that is the match arena.

Offline BLINK

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
I remember running 190's driving me crazy, but it is all part of the game....definitly one thing I never understood
is running in a combat game...but it does take all kinds

you could always play possum...fly like a noob...get them over confident....and kill em :-)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
I flew a p40 for 3 or 4 sorties last night. 4 to 5 kills per sortie, everyone ran from me.  They always came back though. :) and usually died for it.