Author Topic: Why bother?  (Read 26218 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Why bother?
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
:rock The Killer Angels, otherwise known as, GETTYSBURG in Cellulose/DVD formats. I wish that they would have been able to finish the whole series of Movies. Took some time I guess, and actors moved on. Along with lack of desire to watch historical "Big Screen Movies". To me, BEST there is. Didnt seem to be done as Propaganda and both sides of the ordeal were covered and explained. Most that I "MAKE" watch those 2 films, come away with a whole different attitude towards the subject. :cheers:

The movie was pretty good.  I still liked the book better, but that would have been a high bar to exceed. 

Never saw Gods and Generals.  Heard it was a yawner.   I just got The Last Full Measure to listen to on Audible.

(Oh, if they would just make a good movie of Rendezvous with Rama I could die happy.)

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2019, 03:11:38 AM »
Is there anyone here who can recommend a good book?

"Hell I Was There", a book about my wife's relative of some time back. William "Bill" McDonald, Texas Ranger. You can see plenty about him at the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame in Waco Texas. 
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BLINK

• Zinc Member
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2019, 08:23:10 AM »
you know I gotta say....it certainly does NOT take 2 to ho....thats absurd to even suggest that...

a HO is a head on shot....if someone flies straight at you with NO ACM he is HOing you...period...no matter how you want to try to explain it away.... I mean seriously guys how long have you been playing?

and there is really Nothing "wrong" with this game...

the game mechanics are there for some amazing fun...heck I find a fight pretty much every time I log...but I do not care about dying so...I just find the biggest red dar and go fight my arse off....

yup fugi is right most dive away and run as soon as they don't have an advantage...which is silly because no body really dies and you wont get better doing that...although there most certainly are those that still fight....

it wasn't so bad when the numbers were in the few hundreds...now it is glaring because of the low numbers....

most people like easy... i mean the game I have on google play store... is just a simple endless runner...and people think it is too hard....  :rolleyes:

this game...fighting.... is not easy... heck for a noob who has never flown just taking off isnt easy....

THAT is why the numbers are down.... people are weak...weak willed...weak spirited...just weak... and this game is Challenging to the point of being damn hard....to actually kill people...most are in hordes...Aiming is hard...flight mechanics are not arcady....
yet it is easy to fight the "war" dropping bombs on cities.... the war never changes....its simple and mindless....that's what most do...hmmm wonder why....

you want a good challenging time...fly with me for a bit.... hahaha

guaranteed 99% wont want to..... even if they say they want "action"....

that's my .02

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
The movie was pretty good.  I still liked the book better, but that would have been a high bar to exceed. 

Never saw Gods and Generals.  Heard it was a yawner.   I just got The Last Full Measure to listen to on Audible.

(Oh, if they would just make a good movie of Rendezvous with Rama I could die happy.)

:salute
Well, I guess for some...yawner. It covered more than 4 days, so was broad based. When it came to the different battle scenes though...just as good as Gettysburg,IMO. It really dealt with the differences between North and South and the attitudes that lead to conflict. For me it made watching Gettysburg have a new layer of insight/understanding. Especially when it dealt with the individual Generals who were friends. Really drives the Brother vs Brother dynamic. Favorite scene in GAGs....Jackson rides up to a Cannon battery and the Officer(Pendalton) tells Jackson,," The boys have named the guns. Mathew, Mark,Luke and John!". Jackson  responds," I have no doubt that your boys will do their upmost, to Spread The Gospel". It was just one of those scenes, showed how both sides saw what they were doing as the RIGHT THING.  I agree though...books are ALWAYS better
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
you know I gotta say....it certainly does NOT take 2 to ho....thats absurd to even suggest that...

a HO is a head on shot....if someone flies straight at you with NO ACM he is HOing you...period...no matter how you want to try to explain it away.... I mean seriously guys how long have you been playing?

the game mechanics are there for some amazing fun...heck I find a fight pretty much every time I log...but I do not care about dying so...I just find the biggest red dar and go fight my arse off....

yup fugi is right most dive away and run as soon as they don't have an advantage...which is silly because no body really dies and you wont get better doing that...although there most certainly are those that still fight....

it wasn't so bad when the numbers were in the few hundreds...now it is glaring because of the low numbers....

most people like easy... i mean the game I have on google play store... is just a simple endless runner...and people think it is too hard....  :rolleyes:

this game...fighting.... is not easy... heck for a noob who has never flown just taking off isnt easy....

THAT is why the numbers are down.... people are weak...weak willed...weak spirited...just weak... and this game is Challenging to the point of being damn hard....to actually kill people...most are in hordes...Aiming is hard...flight mechanics are not arcady....
yet it is easy to fight the "war" dropping bombs on cities.... the war never changes....its simple and mindless....that's what most do...hmmm wonder why....

you want a good challenging time...fly with me for a bit.... hahaha

guaranteed 99% wont want to..... even if they say they want "action"....

that's my .02

Exactly, just because I maneuver, twist, turn, dive away, if the other guy is still pushing for a HO its still a HO attempt. Maybe propnut dosent KNOW any alternatives.

Perhaps instead of "my approach was down from the top from at least 20 degrees (vertical or horizontal? Im thinking horizontal as you were at the bottom of your loop as I dove under you)in a large radius high "G" turn firing blind" you could have pulled up  either left or right from the run at 1000-1200 out rolling your plane to keep me in view and chopping your throttle to drop in behind me as I evaded. There other options to use than "to make some 550+ mph passes at the 190 and P47". Believe it or not the 152 turn well. "MOOT" was a master at turn fighting in it. Seeing as you were fighting to other planes not known for their turning abilities you could have made a fight out of it. Which is the whole point of the tread.

Dont be a runner, picker or HOer. Fight!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
Exactly, just because I maneuver, twist, turn, dive away, if the other guy is still pushing for a HO its still a HO attempt. Maybe propnut dosent KNOW any alternatives.

PropNut has been here for quite a long while.  He's an excellent stick and an honorable guy.  Don't underestimate him.  He knows his alternatives.

And, taking a line from Top Gun...He got you, didn't he?

- oldman

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2019, 11:46:52 PM »
The problem is that some feel that them flying straight at someone isn't a HO but, when their opponent dares to do the same, they consider it a HO.

A HO is a legit tactic and is responsible for my dad returning home instead of having more gunnery runs than the 13 he dodged from a mig17.   Dad didn't fly a dead on HO but rather flew what looked like he would pass without a firing solution but the mig pilot underestimated how much a skyraider can yaw.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:51:49 PM by icepac »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »
We all take front quarter shots. Even those who say they don't.  I have been in game long enough to have been shot in the front quarter by most if not all of you.  I am cool with that.  If you got me, I own it.   I have and will if given an advantageous situation continue to do the same to you.  It's not my first shot choice, but it is useful depending on the situation.   I fly in the mains to kill red guys and blow stuff up-basically to train for FSO and special events.  I am not there to meet that special someone that I can have that truly special "follow all the rules" air combat fight love of my lifetime.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2019, 11:22:01 AM »
We all take front quarter shots. Even those who say they don't.  I have been in game long enough to have been shot in the front quarter by most if not all of you.  I am cool with that.  If you got me, I own it.   I have and will if given an advantageous situation continue to do the same to you.  It's not my first shot choice, but it is useful depending on the situation.   I fly in the mains to kill red guys and blow stuff up-basically to train for FSO and special events.  I am not there to meet that special someone that I can have that truly special "follow all the rules" air combat fight love of my lifetime.
Pretty much this. I don't like the head-on because it's a low % chance of survival (well, 50/50 basically), unless it's some advantageous matchup like a competitive plane vs. a non-competitive one, but even in that case a head-on shot isn't necessary.

I don't mind taking front-quarter shots either, but again that is sort of match-up dependent as well as how outnumbered I am. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »

that's my .02

If that was the case, then the game wouldn't have troubles retaining new players past the trial period.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
If that was the case, then the game wouldn't have troubles retaining new players past the trial period.
Yaknow I disagree. It's still a great game. It's just hard. The learning curve is steep. But wasn't it always? Heck that's what drew me to it (air warrior before this) in the first place--and kept my interest all these years. I was in it for the challenge. That much hasn't changed a bit. If it was easy I would have ditched it long ago like a Gameboy or something!

I think what's changed is today's gamer. They want to jump into a game--any game, any genre -- and be able to compete if not "win" right away. If they can't, they move on to something else where they can. And there are myriad options to them these days. So that's a problem right there. Short attention span theater.

So what's the answer? Dumb this game down in the hope a few might stick with it? I don't know what else you could do. I hope not. That'd kill it for me!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
Yaknow I disagree. It's still a great game. It's just hard. The learning curve is steep. But wasn't it always? Heck that's what drew me to it (air warrior before this) in the first place--and kept my interest all these years. I was in it for the challenge. That much hasn't changed a bit. If it was easy I would have ditched it long ago like a Gameboy or something!

I think what's changed is today's gamer. They want to jump into a game--any game, any genre -- and be able to compete if not "win" right away. If they can't, they move on to something else where they can. And there are myriad options to them these days. So that's a problem right there. Short attention span theater.

So what's the answer? Dumb this game down in the hope a few might stick with it? I don't know what else you could do. I hope not. That'd kill it for me!

Excellent post and I think you're right on. What'll keep this game alive (or kill it) is the player community, itself.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »
I think players now like the instant action, flat learning curve and pretty graphics. I don’t think  flight physics mean anything to them. Maybe rolling back some of the changes that ran people off like noe dar level and gv dar. People are either going to fight or not, rules forcing seem to have push people away.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »

In keeping with tradition, Drano often gets to the heart of the problem.

- oldman

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2019, 12:18:55 AM »
I think players now like the instant action, flat learning curve and pretty graphics. I don’t think  flight physics mean anything to them. Maybe rolling back some of the changes that ran people off like noe dar level and gv dar. People are either going to fight or not, rules forcing seem to have push people away.
NOE dar level is same as when I started 65' with radar..200 (even heard 250') with radar down. Either way its same as 2014 AH2. GV dar well yes, could do with out it. Its not too hard to hide with it though. Think most blow it up without experience, to be truthful. Its still a big area to be looking for a GV, shut down and in the trees. Still necessary(a bad idea,me thinks) and used by some, the AHFILM finder. So for me it isnt any different, if the want to find ya, they will :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain