Author Topic: Why bother?  (Read 25523 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Why bother?
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »
The way people fly isn't the problem with the game.

^Hear hear!  :cheers:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2019, 04:02:50 PM »
Just about every one of you guys, makes EXCELLENT POINTS. Even from different perspectives, GV, Air and Tactical points of view. Most, if not All...actually make sense. Seems to me, that the Competitive Nature of our COMMUNITY translates to the forum as well. No one is 100% correct and No one is 100% wrong. Maybe, we are just talking past each other and should take some time to digest the different ideas posed? Meaning, its not all UP TO DALE? Every one posting their ideas is doing it for THE LOVE of THE GAME. Maybe we should give each other some credit for TRYING before just shouting each other down? The GAME is the reason we are all still here, isnt it? I dont have to be correct on every issue and I see positive things from even some of the more negative postings. Maybe I am just weird...I am ok with that. I love the WAR..but hate the STRIFE. I also believe part of the problem is, that we are such a small group, Personalities and Quirks are well known and creep into folks determinations of the points made by those we dont really care for personally. Issues will never be solved unless all sides take a deep breathe and leave personal opinions of others out of the discussions. This bothers me the most...but most of you know that already. :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
Just about every one of you guys, makes EXCELLENT POINTS. Even from different perspectives, GV, Air and Tactical points of view. Most, if not All...actually make sense. Seems to me, that the Competitive Nature of our COMMUNITY translates to the forum as well. No one is 100% correct and No one is 100% wrong. Maybe, we are just talking past each other and should take some time to digest the different ideas posed? Meaning, its not all UP TO DALE? Every one posting their ideas is doing it for THE LOVE of THE GAME. Maybe we should give each other some credit for TRYING before just shouting each other down? The GAME is the reason we are all still here, isnt it? I dont have to be correct on every issue and I see positive things from even some of the more negative postings. Maybe I am just weird...I am ok with that. I love the WAR..but hate the STRIFE. I also believe part of the problem is, that we are such a small group, Personalities and Quirks are well known and creep into folks determinations of the points made by those we dont really care for personally. Issues will never be solved unless all sides take a deep breathe and leave personal opinions of others out of the discussions. This bothers me the most...but most of you know that already. :salute

Well said.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2019, 04:45:51 PM »
Don't lump me in with players like Fugitive or violator who think forcing people to fly a certain way is the solution.  The way people fly isn't the problem with the game.

I have never said that players should be forced to play a certain way. I do believe that players should be forced AWAY from game play that isnt good. The HQ raids, the endless NOEs, these are things that were bad for the game, and HTC adjusted settings to do away with them, forcing them to play different ways.

I love the "sandbox" setting of the game, but where are the squad missions? Where are the team missions? Where are the co-ordinated attacks? Where are the big battles that use to feed the lonewolf/sharks? Where are the tank battles that we had on Greebos map, tanktown and A85? Where are the epic sea battles that dont end with kamikasi lancs? Same goes for the ship to shore battles. Where are the squads that actively look for new guys and work to train them up? All of this and more has disappeared from the game. Our sandbox only seems to have a few toys left, HO, picks and runners.

The game has lost the "reason" all these other options were viable. It has been watered down to the simplest version of "win the war" you can get.

1. get more people in the game. ....advertise, social media, youtube.
2. retain these new people...... have a default mouse, game pad setting, model it off other games that these players use, make it "familiar"
3. get rid of GV dar icons on the maps, change view range to help spot vehicles with out being in gun range, add a darbar for GVs.
4. get rid of the plane icons and go back to the dots. Too much info pin points buffs and especially goons.

Just a few things I think would help a great deal. Social media and youtube is a no brainer. Whether you like youtube, Facebook, Twitter or not the majority of the rest of the world is hooked into it, use it to draw them in.

Having a default setting for a mouse and gamepad that is all set to make it as easy as possible to fly right out of the box is a must. Makeing the main buttons to match other games makes it familiar and easy for the new guys to get rolling. views with a mouse user should be A,S,W,D.

The big red arrow (box) pointing at a GV saying "Here I am!" is what caused most of the GV guys to leave. Put a darbar in for the GVs so players will be alerted that a GV is in the sector, but not point right at them. This way the GV gets some of its "stealth" back, but with a "vis range" closer to what we use to have they wont be invisible.

The plane icons are the same thing. Buff hunters will have to watch ALL icons not only vector strait to the "buff". This give the buff guys a better chance it they plan there route good enough which I think is a big part of flying a buff.

Just small changes, but bring back the action will go a long way to help keeping new players.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
I have never said that players should be forced to play a certain way. I do believe that players should be forced AWAY from game play that isnt good.  The HQ raids, the endless NOEs, these are things that were bad for the game, and HTC adjusted settings to do away with them, forcing them to play different ways.

Come across 2 P51s under 5k dive in with my 190-A8 from 7k, ponys run "Surprise!" Second friendly joins in, get an assist on the first pony, never going to catch the second. High 190 comes in, his 15k+ vs me and the friendly at 5K (friendly is a P47). !90 turns out to be a 152, who makes 3 weak passes losing "E" as we continue to grab and gain "E". 152 makes another pass at me, co-alt, I nose down 1500 out, 152 pushes over to continue to get the HO and takes my tail off.

Its a wonder anyone bother to play this game any more. I know it wasn't worth my time

What settings by HT do you suggest to handle the situation in the post you started all this with?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »
What settings by HT do you suggest to handle the situation in the post you started all this with?

If we had double or triple the players playing we do now I would think Id run into that stuff a lot less often. While not a fix, it could help players find more "good" action as apposed that that type of action.

Im sure a great coder like Hitech could come up with ways to add incentives so players would run less, and maneuver for shots other than HOs. Perks, accolades, achievements, bonuses all could turn players away from poor game play.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »
If we had double or triple the players playing we do now I would think Id run into that stuff a lot less often. While not a fix, it could help players find more "good" action as apposed that that type of action.

Im sure a great coder like Hitech could come up with ways to add incentives so players would run less, and maneuver for shots other than HOs. Perks, accolades, achievements, bonuses all could turn players away from poor game play.

Participation trophies and booby prizes. If I could earn perks for getting shot down as well as shooting others down I would have lots and lots of perks. I could also earn the accolade/achievement 'Damned good sport, he was completely aboveboard.'

I'm convinced.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »
fugitive, what's the difference between running or trying? how would you code that?.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2019, 06:21:27 PM »
Don't lump me in with players like Fugitive or violator who think forcing people to fly a certain way is the solution.  The way people fly isn't the problem with the game.

I'm not forcing people to 'fly' a certain a way. I want to perk
or reduce usage of specific planes by using eny to reduce the easiest planes in the game that make gameplay stale. That's your fallacy. A guy can fly a 190A5 exactly the same as a 190D, they just have to try harder when someone jumps their 6.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2019, 06:55:33 PM »
Participation trophies and booby prizes. If I could earn perks for getting shot down as well as shooting others down I would have lots and lots of perks. I could also earn the accolade/achievement 'Damned good sport, he was completely aboveboard.'

I'm convinced.

All those things are what makes the world go round in todays gamer.

fugitive, what's the difference between running or trying? how would you code that?.

semp

Dont know, not a coder, but how about "IF plane A extends beyond 3k and does not land within 5 minutes half perks, awards, achievments are lost/removed"

Coding can do anything, you just have to write it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2019, 06:58:53 PM »
Dont know, not a coder, but how about "IF plane A extends beyond 3k and does not land within 5 minutes half perks, awards, achievments are lost/removed"

Coding can do anything, you just have to write it.

How will the code know a plane is extending or which plane is plane A (out of all the red guys within 3k)? This is not a trick question but it is a tricky one.

P.S. We have indeed delved into the realm of forcing players to fly in a manner you approve of, btw.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:04:02 PM by Arlo »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
How will the code know a plane is extending or which plane is plane A (out of all the red guys within 3k)? This is not a trick question but it is a tricky one.

even trickier would be how can two planes rtbing pass each other.  no ammo fuel to fight.  both lost 1/2 the perks.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2019, 07:13:45 PM »
even trickier would be how can two planes rtbing pass each other.  no ammo fuel to fight.  both lost 1/2 the perks.

semp

Pilot wounds are never obvious to the opponent, either. I have successfully made the trip home and it took more than 5 minutes. I always kinda felt that deserved some perks all its own. ;)

Ah, but coding can fix all perceived misbehavior.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2019, 08:11:09 PM »

What is?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »

P.S. We have indeed delved into the realm of forcing players to fly in a manner you approve of, btw.

Twist it any way you want, how does the game know "Fugitive" shot down "Semp"?  Its all in the code.

semp

If two planes pass under 300 ft and do not shoot, no engagement, no penalty.

Again, coding can do anything, you just have to write it.