Author Topic: Where can I find map data of....  (Read 1501 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Where can I find map data of....
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2001, 03:32:00 PM »
Sure where would you like to start young Luke

NUTTZ

Originally posted by LePaul:
Nuttz,

I admire your work, can you share some advice and tidbits with a rank novice?

I'm ready to learn, Obi-Wan    

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by NUTTZ:
Sure where would you like to start young Luke

NUTTZ

Well, how about from the begining?  I would like to create a map of the area in which I live (Maine/New England), is there a way to do that from the publicly available data? Or should I download some 3rd party program and play with that and create something from scratch?

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2001, 08:33:00 PM »
I asked the GTPO site to check that file out, they reported it works perfectly on their applications.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
I use AKwabbits Bmp maker, you can get it on HTC's downloads link. Follow the instructions. You'll need another art program to make the map, If you can find a topography greyscale of Maine or the area that would be even better, The greyscaled Bmp is what sets the altitude of the terrains in the TE. White being higher, black is sea level. AKwabbits program will make the elevation files (.ELV)

Lets say i want to make a map and call it "NUTTZ"

I make the greyscale map in an art program ( I use Corel) name the map NUTTZ, You'll  need to read AKWabbits readme file for the greyscale .Bmp size.
Open AKwabbits program and use the NUTTZ.Bmp  AKwabbits program will ask you the file name it will call it, So call it NUTTZ. The program will make a few files and place them where you want  ( i use the TE/terrain folder.

Now I exit the program and Open the TE, open up edit terrain, and then on the right side hit set terrain and type in NUTTZ, THIS will automatically make a new folder in the TE/terrains folder  and the folder will be called NUTTZ ( or whatever you "set" terrain to) Now Close the program it will ask you if you want to save  I usually say no.   Now goto c: drive and go to the TE terrains folder and grab the files AKwabbits program made i "think" it's 2 or 3 ONE will be named NUTTZ.elv grab the files and cut, then paste them into the TE/Terrains/NUTTZ folder and let the files over write the files..

Now Open the TE again and NUTTZ map will be there WITH the correct elevation..

WHEW sounds long but this only takes seconds to do.

Any questions?

NUTTZ

Offline Ogre

• Zinc Member
      • http://reaper@cris.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
Hello,

I just received an email pointing me to this discussion, sorry I don't monitor this board a whole lot lately.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I was able to bring up New England in MapMaker.  Since I haven't downloaded the DEM in a while, perhaps there is a problem with the version on the site.  

Below is the result I get using Lat=49.3 long=-73 (remember you are going West) and width=8.  Also, remember that you are providing the lat/long of the upper left corner, the width then determines the lower right corner.

If you typed in +68 for longitude, you would be placed somewhere in Russia, which if you didn't have the tiles for, you give you strange results.  68 W = (360-68) = 292 E = (292-360)= -68.  The best way to avoid problems is to always figure longitude by going east.

One thing that you have to be particularily careful with is how you unpack the files from USGS.  It has to be done exactly as discribed in my web page with the byte results I mention.  Otherwise strange stuff occurs.  I don't know if this is the problem, though.

Paul, I can send you the output files from this run if you'd like (or let me know what changes you'd like).  What email address you would like it sent to?  It will be about a 1 meg file.

Ogre

[This message has been edited by Ogre (edited 04-14-2001).]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
Woohoo!  You made my day!

Mt email is webmaster@checksix.net

Well, you pretty much walked me through step on, now the joys of the terrain editor  

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
Thought I'd try again with the settings your screen shot displayed.  I got an amusing result.

Ever wonder what New England looks like seconds after World War 3 begins?  Here it is      

Two things I wonder:

1.  Is my 3DFX card a possible problem?  I notice my mouse disappears anytime I move it onto the form, makes for real dicey guesswork to fill in the data.

2.  Is this app requiring OpenGL or D3D?  If I recall, 3DFX's OpenGL was kinda weak and since they are no longer in business, I might need to jump into that ATI Radeon that much sooner.

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

[This message has been edited by LePaul (edited 04-14-2001).]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2001, 01:29:00 AM »
Got your email.  Renamed the files newengland.elv and newengland.typ

Aces High terrain editor is pretty loosely versed.......no real help on "loading" a terrain.  Still trying (and its late, so patience is slipping).

Any tips appreciated.

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Doh!  Ok, got past this step...didnt have the OBA (obj?) file and simply created one.  Wow, my nice and pretty map got turned into, well, resembled 16 color ANSI graphics now!  Trying to get the map to zoom out a bit so I can establish a grid around Maine, NH and Mass (especially cape cod).  Having the joystick control parts of the movement is more annoying than helpful, so far.  Still reading the docs, and what others have said, and taking it from there.  Time to draw some bases and turn those blocks of water back into a river (the Penobscot River)  

------------------
Paul J. Busiere