Author Topic: We've successfully resettled  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
We've successfully resettled
« on: July 09, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »
Not eactly the way we planned, we had bought 6 acres overlooking Flathead lake in 2017 with intentions to build, but the builder was 50% off budget for the road and his estimates for the well were off 50% so we decided not to build but wait and buy a home in the valley.

Well, the home found us! 1 week after we started our camp host gig at West Shore State Park in Lakeside, MT,  this home 10 miles away came up on market, we made a full price offer the same day. The next day it had 6 backup offers!

Flathead lake is the largest natural lake west of the mississippi. 27 miles long!

1.5 acres, 1600 sq ft home built in 2015 with a man cave garage (4 car) complete with a car lift! A small MIL building with a bed and electricity and we have a beautiful  view of Wild Horse Island and Flathead lake as well as a private boat launch. Corten siding, metal roof, established raised bed garden with deer fence. The MIL apartment, half of it is a storage shed with a dividing wall.

We cut our hosting gig to just two months instead of 4 (they had back up hosts waiting to get in) so we officially moved in June 27th. We saved a ton of money by NOT building and the wife loves to fish so naturally we boat a new fishing boat too!  Private boat launch in the neighborhood. Gun club range is a mere 20 min down the road.

Winters will be in San Diego and Texas with our 5th wheel trailer, summers here in MT.

Life is good, I really need to slow down though, it's been 13 months since I retired and have never been busier in my life than I am now!  :O

Hope all my friends here are doing well, PM me if you're in the Dayton, MT area, you got a place to stay. We're 1.5 hrs from Glacier National Park.

All photos are linked here at SmugMug --> https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/Ripsnort-Ranch/

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:51:06 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
Re: We've successfully resettled
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:42:31 AM »
I moved to the Flathead about 17 years ago for a temporary job with no intention of staying and I still live there  :cool:   :cheers:

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
Wow very nice Rip!
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:14:47 AM »
Nicely done Rip. Are you north or south of GNP?  It's just a 6 hour drive away from where I live - used to be just a 3 hour drive. (MT border is just south).  Congratz on the new digs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:05:55 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
Nicely done Rip!  Welcome to retired life.  Gorgeous area.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »
Well done.

Amazing how someone thinks they are a builder but can't quote to save their life.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
Looks fantastic. Way to go !!!

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
That's some mighty fine looking land.
Love the pictures.  They look like they're from movie.   :cheers:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
that is nice

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »
Looks beautiful.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »
So jealous  :D
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »
I am retired contractor.  The only clause I would had would have been a rock clause for the road.  Any dynamiting would have been extra.  You hired a contractor from the sound of it whose job was not to get the job done.  They will do their best to not get the job done and milk every dime from the out of towners.
You really have a beautiful place
AkCaine

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
Nicely done Rip. Are you north or south of GNP?  It's just a 6 hour drive away from where I live - used to be just a 3 hour drive. (MT border is just south).  Congratz on the new digs.
We are south of GNP about 1 hr 15 min. We were hiking quite a bit up there until June 15th, then all hell breaks loose for traffic. We'll resume hiking after Sep 2nd.  :aok

Nicely done Rip!  Welcome to retired life.  Gorgeous area.

Come visit! You got no excuse because every day is Saturday, Hajo!

I am retired contractor.  The only clause I would had would have been a rock clause for the road.  Any dynamiting would have been extra.  You hired a contractor from the sound of it whose job was not to get the job done.  They will do their best to not get the job done and milk every dime from the out of towners.
You really have a beautiful place

Thanks, and we had a specific home design in mind, the first estimation by the contractor was within 1% of our budget , 3 months later, he re-estimated and it was now 15% over our budget and that was even before we started picking out interior design choices! Our internal "red flag" went up, we put a stop to the build.

The property is for sale now. So glad we killed the project back in January.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/263-Ridge-Line-Dr_Lakeside_MT_59922_M81264-85340

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:41:13 AM »
I moved to the Flathead about 17 years ago for a temporary job with no intention of staying and I still live there  :cool:   :cheers:

Are you the same Pluto that was part of JG 2 about 18 years ago?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
Come visit! You got no excuse because every day is Saturday, Hajo!

Well it can't be Ground Hog Day. That's always on February 2nd. You must've found another type of time loop.  :D