Author Topic: One pilot who knows how to fly.  (Read 4009 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: One pilot who knows how to fly.
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
The age old adage is this...

...companies get the unions they deserve.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
The age old adage is this...

...companies get the unions they deserve.

Very true, when I worked down in S. Texas I refused to join the union because it sucked. Probably one of the most disorganized groups of people I had ever seen.

Their crappy negotiating affected me regardless of my Union status. I wasn't about to pay them to suck, they could suck for free.

oh, and that union was smashed with a few scandals (money stealing and what not) and the regional office had to run the union in our workplace. 

fun times... .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2019, 04:22:25 AM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:58:23 AM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
KLM refused more Dreamliners from Charleston, and they were/will be built in Seattle.

Interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/11/boeing-capitalism-deregulation

I just keep getting the feeling that Boeing has become just another Libertarian Fraud for what used to be innovative powerhouses.

I suppose that maintaining share holder value became more important than a safe and reliable aircraft.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2019, 01:15:10 AM »
I have been reading the post about unions v non union companies.  it's all bs.  I have never worked in an union company, but I can tell you this, there's lazy people everywhere who would do the minimum they can get away and even some who dont even try and yet they're still employed. seen employees really struggle to to do the minimum but they sit and work as hard as they can, I would rather have them that those who do the minimum and sit and talk about how they are the saviors of the company.

there's lots of rules in place, some are dumb some are for a reason.  used to work at a steel company and when it got slow, I mean really slow, they didnt fire anybody.  almost a year.  so we swept, keep the grounds clean did lots of maintenance.  my job was to keep sales floor clean, so I did it.  once they asked me to clean the bugs off the lights, 4 and six feet halogen lights or whatever you call them.  i said i cant, only electricians are allowed to do that, and we had plenty of electricians not doing anything, they would have gladly come and clean them just send an email and that's it.  reason for that, some guy had one of those 4 foot lights blow up on his face, dont know what he touched, dont know what he did, but he had no experience at all with electricity.  but he'll have the scars on his face for the rest of his life.

when it got busy we had guys who would take an hour to turn on the computer on the cranes, they were that dumb.  they didnt get fired, because leaders didnt want to make trouble or do paper work.  I know because I did reviews for a couple of them, they couldnt use a computer either.  most of the people in my department were useless and those who did work, just kept their mouth's shut, it's a paycheck.

my work experience is basically 3 companies, seen people work hard and see new young guys, thinking they would reinvent the way we did business.  it's was all bs, they never took the time to learn.  Me I learned every single job around me, not because I wanted to change the company or wanted to be the best.  It's because I learned fast and worked hard, it's not difficult, but It did cost me my first marriage and see my kids grow up.

you know what it got me, ripped tendons on my left leg and 2 back injuries.  cant walk more than 1/2 a block and cant lift anything off the floor.  I was fired because I was of no use to the company anymore.  No thank you for working hard, or all the birthdays and holidays I missed.  it was this guy is gonna follow you to the gate to make sure you dont come back anymore.

Thinking back, I should have been like those who barely made the minimum and got to go home.  I still would have had a job today.  all 3 injuries happened because I was tired.  but what can I say crap happens.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:43 AM »
Work goes both ways. If you are lazy you will generally not keep a job at a good company. If you are a lousy company you generally will not keep hardly any good employees.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »
Work goes both ways. If you are lazy you will generally not keep a job at a good company. If you are a lousy company you generally will not keep hardly any good employees.

Well said.

Edit: Unions almost always create a lazy work environment. Takes 3 days to change a 5 ton AC compressor at the local AFB union.. takes me 4 hours or less and it’s done safely and properly, IE drier changed system flushed and perfect vacuum down to 500 microns. The guys at the union are literally scheduled 3 days of work on 1 unit that shouldn’t take 4 hours. That’s government too. Tax dollars at work I guess
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:52:55 PM by ACE »

The Few

-Spek

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
well like I said, never worked for an union company.  worked hard to learn every job.  at the steel company where I worked I did every job from leader to the lowest tier, sometimes I did that in a day.  all it got me was a guy that followed me to the gate with flyers with a picture of me saying I wasnt allowed back. only because i got hurt and I was of no use to the company anymore.

maybe if we had a union, I would still work there, maybe I wouldnt.

semp

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
well like I said, never worked for an union company.  worked hard to learn every job.  at the steel company where I worked I did every job from leader to the lowest tier, sometimes I did that in a day.  all it got me was a guy that followed me to the gate with flyers with a picture of me saying I wasnt allowed back. only because i got hurt and I was of no use to the company anymore.

maybe if we had a union, I would still work there, maybe I wouldnt.

semp

For a long time companies have been required to have workmans comp or equivalent. Did you get hurt at home?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
For a long time companies have been required to have workmans comp or equivalent. Did you get hurt at home?

At work.  And worker's comp pays crap.  And thanks you just reminded me that we have long term disability. Just checked the package they sent to my house at termination.  Just a single line hidden in a 10 page document mentions it.  Gotta send this to my attorney.

Semp

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
At work.  And worker's comp pays crap.  And thanks you just reminded me that we have long term disability. Just checked the package they sent to my house at termination.  Just a single line hidden in a 10 page document mentions it.  Gotta send this to my attorney.

Semp

Hopefully you can get the compensation you deserve.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »

Semp

Two ways to get hurt. f it is their fault you can get more than workers comp. If it is your fault then it will probably only be workers comp.

In any case it looks like you were working at a lousy company. They usually lose good hands.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2019, 03:40:13 PM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/27/business/boeing-737-ng-cracks/

How often are pickle forks normally checked for cracks?

It appears that these were only found b/c of a modification to convert a plane for cargo hauling.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2019, 07:36:44 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/27/business/boeing-737-ng-cracks/

How often are pickle forks normally checked for cracks?

It appears that these were only found b/c of a modification to convert a plane for cargo hauling.

For those who are in the industry, cracking in older heavily used airplanes is not news. Newsbrief folks, all airplanes crack somewhere; whether they're built by Commy unionists or tea party republican capitalists. That's why all involved with safety including the manufacturer monitor these problems through maintenance and inspections, so AD's and service bulletins can solve the issues before they cause a catastrophe.

But to heck with it; let's all keep maligning the Boeing Company and if we're successful, we'll only fly in the finest airplanes that France and Brazil can send to us... oh I forgot Japan; they own Bombardier now.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.