Author Topic: In-game Event/Scenario Registration  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: In-game Event/Scenario Registration
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 01:38:47 PM »
HTC, if a player clicks on a URL in the arena message, is there a Javascript-like call or dot command we can make to get the player's AH handle from AH?

If we had the ability to automatically get the AH handle, we could (I think) eliminate needing a separate account on ahevents.net and register someone for an event with one button click.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »
HTC, if a player clicks on a URL in the arena message, is there a Javascript-like call or dot command we can make to get the player's AH handle from AH?

If we had the ability to automatically get the AH handle, we could (I think) eliminate needing a separate account on ahevents.net and register someone for an event with one button click.

That would get you 95% credit awarded. ;)

What has been added is a nice convenience for people with an existing account setup, but potentially the bigger payoff are all those players who have put off by all the extra hoops.  Those are all players that are not currently participating that are potentially waiting to be harvested.

I don't think forum access should be required (unless you want to be a CO or GL).  It is advisable, but walk-ons aren't required to have it, so don't make things harder on people who want to help you by registering early.

You'll always get less of what you make harder, and more of what you make easier.

$0.02,
CptTrips
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 02:22:31 PM »

One more suggestion.  I can't bring it up again to check, but I seem to remember scanning a couple of seconds to find the register links after several paragraphs of text.

I'd recommend putting the link as the first thing their eye fall upon.  Then hit them with a wall of text. 

Don't bury the lead. 

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
I'd recommend putting the link as the first thing their eye fall upon.

I agree.  Just added that.  :aok

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »

Could a hook be created like "GetGameId" that can be called by the webpage and causes a login validation on the client and returns the validated player id to the webpage?   That would a HUGE improvement to the user experience.  Hmm there would probably need to be some kind of encryption  of the return value so the webpage can't spam externally and knows that value is coming from HTC.  Or maybe that call takes some kind of encrypted token so you know it is a trusted webpage.  Probably the latter so you can be in control of your own security.

Signed is the key here, not encrypted. The user already knows who he is, and communicates through an encrypted channel to the website. The client (the game front end) cannot do the signing, as the mechanism to do so could be trivially extracted and the website accessed as any arbitrary user. It has to be signed on a HTC server, or the web server has to ask the game server if the user is who he claims to be.

To get the data to the web, the in-game browser could simply generate a cookie for ahevents. That way no messing with queries is needed and the information only is transmitted to the intended domain.

The game should make it clear that user identifying information is transmitted to a 3rd party.