Author Topic: In-game Event/Scenario Registration  (Read 3403 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: In-game Event/Scenario Registration
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
Few notes for your thinking.

First you can already test web pages threw squad MOTD pages. simply make the first line url in the text file you upload.

2nd there are many hooks into AH that are call like javascript , things like send dot command.

3rd don't forget there is also a swing out page available. Also selectable from the web content header.

HiTech

I'm not familiar with the squad MOTD.  I've never seen what that looks like.  If it is a modal dialog that pops up and covers the UI and blocks the user, I think that would be sub-optimal.  I think like Spikes said, people are trained from web popups to just immediately close that out without looking at it and reflexively being annoyed.  It would basically be immediately blocking them from what they came to do which is a rude thing to do to a user.

A swing out page is a reasonable alternative.  It definitely puts the information directly in their face on startup, but doesn't block them from doing anything else with the UI and doesn't break them out of the context of the game client.  However, I expect there would ALWAYS be some up-coming event, so you would have to be ok with that always opening up. That would probably be a solution that has the least impact on your existing UI layout.  Sort of side-loading the content.

The final hat-trick would be to save the user the hassle of having to create a separate account on a separate website and be blocked from registering until they alt-tab out of the client to go to their email to click on the validation email link.  Uhhhg.  Could a hook be created like "GetGameId" that can be called by the webpage and causes a login validation on the client and returns the validated player id to the webpage?   That would a HUGE improvement to the user experience.  Hmm there would probably need to be some kind of encryption  of the return value so the webpage can't spam externally and knows that value is coming from HTC.  Or maybe that call takes some kind of encrypted token so you know it is a trusted webpage.  Probably the latter so you can be in control of your own security.

Thanks for keeping an open mind enough to game it out a bit.

:salute

[edit]  One last though.  The swingout page is probably the superior solution.  That way if for some reason, the SE doesn't have information to share or the team is dismantled, or the SE server goes down, then the web content  would be empty and the panel would just not swing out without altering the rest of your UI.   $0.02.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:01:20 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
As a user, it was annoying for me to have to go through another website creating an account, managing yet another password, waiting for confirmation email and access, to play a scenario for a game I already have a login for.  Every layer of friction you add, is less players choosing to participate.

Adding an unnoticed button to open a browser is not the same as displaying the information about upcoming event directly in their face when they start the game.

[edit]

I think there are two fundamental design goals that any suggestion needs to solve to improve things.

1.  Information about upcoming events should be placed directly under the nose of users, directly though the game-client so that they can not possibly fail to notice in the course of their normal logon/play workflow.  It needs to be explicit and directly visible.  You can't rely on them to remember to go to some external website later and it is very rude to dump them out of the game client they are in to bring up an external browser. 

2.  Once they know about the event, you want to provide as seamless and frictionless and pleasant a user experience as possible to get them registered.  They have already gone through the trouble of setting up a login account for Aces High and they are sitting right there in that client.  Don't make them have to go through that whole process again.   That's rude.  If that is more work, then so be it.  The goal is not to make things easier for the developer.  The goal is to make things more enjoyable for the user. This is entertainment software, not the DMV. 

That said, if you can do it with the minimal effort without sacrificing the user experience, then fine.  But if any price is paid, the balance should be tipped in favor of make things nicer for the user even if that means extra work for developers.

You have this vision of new players signing up for Aces High and scenarios at the same time which will spare them the annoyance of signing up separately at two different times. Personally I don't see that as a big deal for most people. You're assuming they have a forum ID already? Maybe it would an issue for players often changing their gameid.

Being 'rudely dumped' to the scenario site, like going to the help site, is not as bad as you make it sound.

I'm pretty sure that everyone agrees that registration shouldn't be a problem, but it's already pretty easy now since Kanth fixed it. Taking a click out of the process may not be the current best use of time and resources for HTC.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
You have this vision of new players signing up for Aces High and scenarios at the same time which will spare them the annoyance of signing up separately at two different times. Personally I don't see that as a big deal for most people. You're assuming they have a forum ID already?

And only a small minority of players bother getting a forum id,  And an even smaller minority of that register for events. 

If you are satisfied with that status quo, then rock on.  Don't change a thing.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
You realize the scenario sign in asks for your forum ID so you need that first?

And only a small minority of players bother getting a forum id,  And an even smaller minority of that register for events. 

If you are satisfied with that status quo, then rock on.  Don't change a thing.

Your point is that few people will be affected by the changes you propose?

Maybe there's a better use of HTC's time to improve Aces High.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 04:11:03 PM »

Your point is that few people will be affected by the changes you propose?

Maybe there's a better use of HTC's time to improve Aces High.

You realize that if the changes were made MORE people would be made aware of the scenarios and other events and would possible take the time to join the boards and then the events.

Then again, why bother doing something that might increase the number of players joining events.  :rolleyes: You continually seem to enjoy knocking down other players ideas. You dont like the idea great, no need to comment, much like if you like the idea. It just an idea put forth to HTC that may actually have a benefit to events. Heck it may even help out poor old Brook with all the "spamming" of the boards he has to do to drum up good numbers to make the events playable.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 04:17:20 PM »

Actually, I didn't remember that.  So.... there are 3 layers of account/logins just to participate in an event.  I guess I do need the Aces High login.  Never understood why that wasn't just tied to the forum automatically....but then on top of those two,  I have to get an account and password for the events website too. Awesome.  You guys ought to work for the government.  :cool:   

I just remembered the whole process seemed stupid and annoying and tedious and redundant and I was wondering the whole time why I couldn't just do this through the game-client and the Aces High login I already have. 

Maybe I'm the only one who has ever gotten that impression, but given the numbers, maybe I'm not.

But as always....thanks for your input.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
You realize that if the changes were made MORE people would be made aware of the scenarios and other events and would possible take the time to join the boards and then the events.

Something different than the same-ole-same-ole ought to be considered if you want to improve results.

During the event I read a country text someone said they had just been talking to a buddy and they hadn't even heard about the event.  I know, amazing. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
Anyone who can't deal with hearing both sides of a discussion should probably not post at all.

There is good and bad in everything. Probably best to hear it before stepping in it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »
The assumption the nothing new is considered is ludicrous.   I'm confident that HiTech is concerned, open minded, and focused on making Aces High as good as it can be. It just may not seem like it when people get upset because their latest idea wasn't implemented and they can't shut up about it.  Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, I'm sure we've all seen those posts.

I think it's great when people post thoughtful ideas but keep some perspective, check your ego, and remember it's just a suggestion for HiTech to consider in case he didn't already think of it in the last 30 years. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 07:39:29 PM »
It seems to me that if you dont bother to shoot down a players idea, he doesnt try to defend that idea. Basically you let them talk them selves out, but you can seem to do that. You know better than anyone and post post from that position. Maybe you should stop fueling these post. Let them stand on what ever merit they have and move on. As you and many others have said, its up to Hitech not anyone else..... not even you. Stop throwing fuel on the fire.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »
CptTrips i like your idea

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
It seems to me that if you dont bother to shoot down a players idea, he doesnt try to defend that idea. Basically you let them talk them selves out, but you can seem to do that. You know better than anyone and post post from that position. Maybe you should stop fueling these post. Let them stand on what ever merit they have and move on. As you and many others have said, its up to Hitech not anyone else..... not even you. Stop throwing fuel on the fire.

Discussing ideas often improves them. In this case adding forum registration to the process.

I never shoot down ideas, I comment on them, often because the OP asks for comments.

Now take your own advice and lead by example. Hypocrite.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »
 :rofl

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
By the way, this wish has been granted. If you follow the link in the current Arena Message, you will wind up on the registration page without ever leaving the MA.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 03:57:21 PM »
By the way, this wish has been granted. If you follow the link in the current Arena Message, you will wind up on the registration page without ever leaving the MA.

:aok  That is an improvement.  33% credit awarded.  :D

:salute