Author Topic: The future of Aces High is on Facebook  (Read 12373 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: The future of Aces High is on Facebook
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
FYI:  WOP = World of Planes was the original name of the re-branding "War Thunder" and while it was still called WOP, it was in direct competition with WOWP....they renamed WOP to War Thunder, a short time after the open to the public beta then going live...iirc...... I was there and selected as 1 of the 1st 10 closed alpha testers not including the WOP staff (game builders).....

I suspect he meant War Online: Pacific.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2019, 07:30:11 PM »
no, I meant WOWP, I thought he just forgot about the "W" as I had forgotten about WOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2019, 07:35:12 PM »

Heh, you're most likely are right, CptTrips....

With the reply of WOWP (World of War Planes) verses WOP (World of Planes, later re-branded "War Thunder")....never allowed me to even consider WO:P (WarOnline.com/Pacific)... Haha

Good catch

~Salute~

TC

Edit: Rgr Ciaphas...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:38:20 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BAD1051

• Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2019, 07:29:37 PM »
The way i found out about Aces High was a tv commercial on the History channel. The commercial pretty much had me hooked, right from the git go. I know tv commercials are expensive, but a well done one could be priceless.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2019, 11:11:11 PM »

Yes sorry should have made it clear
The way i found out about Aces High was a tv commercial on the History channel. The commercial pretty much had me hooked, right from the git go. I know tv commercials are expensive, but a well done one could be priceless.
  Ditto me too, thinking back my computer was pretty primitive lol
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »

I saw that commercial 15 or so years ago.  but if memory serves me right I also saw the same commercial maybe 5 years ago? 

by the way I only came here due to squadies from AW.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2019, 06:42:18 AM »
I never saw the commercial. I came over from FA word of mouth from friends.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
with regards to facebook, all you can do is keep announcing the events and activities and see if people get interested. in my opinion that's about as good as it gets. maybe have people post good films, screen shots and homemade aces high adverts on there too? just my 2 cents.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »
with regards to facebook, all you can do is keep announcing the events and activities and see if people get interested. in my opinion that's about as good as it gets. maybe have people post good films, screen shots and homemade aces high adverts on there too? just my 2 cents.

The more active the page the more visibility it has. For a game like this, I would say that daily posting is needed. All of the legacy images and videos (AH2) need to go. Regular updates from the Dev, CM, Axis vs Ally and Skinning teams need to be regular. The community at large needs to be involved with posting player content aspect. FB never has been and never will be a fire and forget platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »
I don't know about Facebook. However I was recently perusing some reviews and the most common complaints I've seen against AH are:

1) Poor Steam performance. Even within the past few months there seems to be a large number of people having problems getting the game to run properly under Steam, whether performance-wise or just plain not working at all. Given that Steam is now a cornerstone for gaming content delivery for many PC players, I can see this as a significant problem for growing the player base.

2) The subscription. The complaint I see that's turning people off isn't that there's a subscription in of itself — many are more than willing to pay one — the problem is the cost vs. other subscription-based MMOs. With Aces High being twice or more the cost of other subscription-based online games this is seems to be a very common reason for players to pass it up in favor of F2P like War Thunder (even in spite of WT's Pay-To-Win aspects). ESPECIALLY when combined with the steep learning curve, as it's not uncommon to spend your full two week trial playing every day yet STILL struggle to be in any way effective. Some people simply don't play enough to justify the cost (this, unfortunately, is the reason that I've let my subscription lapse; I simply have had far too many things calling for my attention to have time to jump online for a couple hours every night).

3) Dated visuals. While the most recent models like the Wildcat (still wish we got a proper -3, tho) are without a doubt stunning, it only makes the older ones still in the game stand out more. Even aircraft that have already received updates like the P-51 and Ki-84 are looking long in the tooth. The simple reality is that other than the Retro Gaming niche, shiny top-end graphics are a major draw, especially for flight simulators.

1 and 2 are probably the easiest to find solutions for. 3 is a bit more problematic, as any major update to the graphics engine not only takes time, but risks putting the requirements beyond what some players may be able to afford.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
Has anyone looked at squeakute? I've noticed they allow gun reviews and some pretty off the wall things from all spectrum's of American life. I also see films from FPS games there. It's one of the places deplatformed conservative Youtubers went to after the recent Youtube purges of conservative content with the aftermath of the 2016 election. If you are trying to reach all the possible 40ish 50ish who might like the older demographic we are dominated by to play a combat SIMM with. They may be looking at videos there and not at Youtube. If Youtube was really going to work with the huge number of player videos from AH already there, we would have new people in here already. Who does this game really appeal to?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
The auto naughty word thingy didn't like the name of the Social Media film posting site I used. Changed it to squeakute.

It's name it "bit chute" at www.bit chute.com. The auto nasty word moderater sees the string of words in the name as meaning a mean woman. You will have to close the space between t and c to get the name correct for the URL.

You can see how the auto word parser sees bit chute if you close the space.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2019, 12:11:02 AM »
you guys ever saw snakes on a plane?  when I dont remember who takes over the pilot position and they asked him if he ever flew a plane before, he said no, but I do play aces high alot.  or something similar.  it just came to mind now

semp

edit:  my bad, it's fighter aces, just found it  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qwcWKX3YLw
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:13:33 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »
you guys ever saw snakes on a plane?  when I dont remember who takes over the pilot position and they asked him if he ever flew a plane before, he said no, but I do play aces high alot.  or something similar.  it just came to mind now

semp

edit:  my bad, it's fighter aces, just found it  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qwcWKX3YLw

Never saw that movie but hilarious.

Here is one for you... I did not know until recently, that the comedy Airplane was based on an old 1957 suspense movie called Zero Hour. Many lines taken word for word.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:58:53 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »