Author Topic: The future of Aces High is on Facebook  (Read 12367 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: The future of Aces High is on Facebook
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2019, 08:44:44 PM »

Yet you don't think we are at the point it is worth risking change?  Even significant change?
You can't stand the Melee, but you don't want to see anything change?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Yes.  I was half joking about the $30/month.

Most of this thread I'm not talking about what I want, it's what I perceive the state of things is.  My honest opinion is the vast majority of people do not want the kind of gameplay that is this game's strength.  Yet, the gameplay that is here when there are numbers is exactly what I enjoy.  Those two things are pretty close to mutually exclusive.

It's not popular because of what it is at its fundamental level.  I am here because of what it is.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2019, 08:44:50 PM »
And there's nothing that says that HTC needs to develop the graphics engine in-house. As you yourself pointed out, there's plenty of off-the-shelf engines out there, so finding one that could work with the flight and physics engine would be a legitimate alternative.

Legitimate, or feasible?  I'm not sure it's feasible at this point.

I'm assuming it would be a massive amount of work and I can't imagine there are the resources to do it. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
I dont want to see a 2 sided war, I dont want to see "round base play", I dont want to see "air spawns", I dont want to see "grinding" added to the game. I want the game the way it is with all the depth and options it has, but Id like to see something done to help retain players.

You'll need this, then.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
What are you saying, I prefer my Mustang, but that has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2019, 08:57:27 PM »
   Graphics?

I see silly app games coming out that look like 90's graphics but people are buying them.  :x

I play WOT and the scenery is great and you can take down trees with a tank! Hint Hint. but I hate that an enemy will just disappear or appear out of nowhere. It is great for short quick gaming but can get tedious and you do feel the "Grind" as others have said. I know i get beat by some that have spent more than I.
   For AH I need more time or I just won't log on. It is more like a game of Risk than a game of Checkers.
  The biggest hurdle I see is a console that runs this game. The PC is in decline and games like War Thunder is available on many platforms that reach more players.
  People have asked me why do I watch Nascar, It's just cars going in a circle because that is all they See. Good strategic games have always had appeal.
   AH has it's strengths and one is the War not just the fight.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2019, 08:57:48 PM »
Most of this thread I'm not talking about what I want, it's what I perceive the state of things is.  My honest opinion is the vast majority of people do not want the kind of gameplay that is this game's strength.  Yet, the gameplay that is here when there are numbers is exactly what I enjoy.  Those two things are pretty close to mutually exclusive.

It's not popular because of what it is at its fundamental level.  I am here because of what it is.

Wiley.

Which is why Hitech should probably put this one on auto-pilot and focus on a new project.  It's a no-win situation if the current trajectory is unsustainable, but the level of change needed to alter it is unacceptable.  He won't though.  This was his dream game.

So yeah,  you're Fked Hitech.  :D

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »

Wiley.

Unfortunately, it seems that not enough people want to accept that it's simply not possible for the game to continue as it is and expect new people to join over a long term. Instead they want to slap band-aids over everything. If HTC continues to cater to the Old Guard, the game is going to continue dying a slow death.

It's harsh reality time: The Old Guard is just that: The Old Guard. Either they're moving on to other pursuits, or (more sadly, but still fact) passing on (hell, how many posts have I seen on the first page of names I recognize and flew with who are gone?) HTC gains NOTHING by giving up on adapting their business to the new reality of online gaming to retain them.

What are you saying, I prefer my Mustang, but that has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh for the love of... It's a TIME MACHINE. Set your Time Circuits for 2006, because that's the only way you're going to get a player base back without making a Golly-geemed change.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems that not enough people want to accept that it's simply not possible for the game to continue as it is and expect new people to join over a long term. Instead they want to slap band-aids over everything. If HTC continues to cater to the Old Guard, the game is going to continue dying a slow death.
[...]
HTC gains NOTHING by giving up on adapting their business to the new reality of online gaming to retain them.

The alternative is to try and do both.   

Keep the Old Guard with the old game (leaving it the way they like it) and try and capture a new player base with new games.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2019, 09:16:40 PM »
This was his dream game.

It's one of mine.  Not the tip-top, but top 5 concepts for sure.

Sure.  To make lacrosse more popular, let's take away the rackets and give them a bent stick instead.  And instead of a ball, we'll use a round flat thing called a "puck".  Maybe play it on ice.

Same difference.  If I wanted to be playing hockey, I'd be playing hockey.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2019, 09:19:07 PM »
The alternative is to try and do both.   

Keep the Old Guard with the old game (leaving it the way they like it) and try and capture a new player base with new games.

This will be impractical simply because of the financial demands of maintaining the servers. The Old Guard is going to continue shrinking until it reaches the point it just makes more financial sense to simply pull the plug.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2019, 09:19:47 PM »
It's one of mine.  Not the tip-top, but top 5 concepts for sure.

It's in my top 3.

Dynamix Red Baron
Aces High
Battlefield 4

Order is not significant.  Don't ask me to choose.  It's like asking someone which of their kids they like better than the others.  :D

:salute

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2019, 09:23:06 PM »
This will be impractical simply because of the financial demands of maintaining the servers. The Old Guard is going to continue shrinking until it reaches the point it just makes more financial sense to simply pull the plug.

Pffft.

Servers are relatively cheap and just sit in his closet and purr all day.

Development hours are expensive. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

It's harsh reality time: The Old Guard is just that: The Old Guard. Either they're moving on to other pursuits, or (more sadly, but still fact) passing on (hell, how many posts have I seen on the first page of names I recognize and flew with who are gone?) HTC gains NOTHING by giving up on adapting their business to the new reality of online gaming to retain them.

Oh for the love of.. It's a TIME MACHINE. Set your Time Circuits for 2006, because that's the only way you're going to get a player base back without making a Golly-geemed change.

So basically what your really saying is for Hitech to scrap this game and just start over with something you "think" will work better.... well at least for you it will.

I dont believe that is really an option. I think the game can still be saved, and not just for the "old guard". The game just needs a better opening. Right now it is too discouraging for the "I want it now" generation.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »
Pffft.

Servers are relatively cheap and just sit in his closet and purr all day.

Development hours are expensive.

I hope you're being facetious. I work in IT and nothing could be further from the truth. It's more than just the direct operating costs of the server (IE power, internet, etc.) Stuff breaks. And if you want to prevent the stuff breaking from putting you out of commission you need another server that you can fail over to, which adds the cost of more servers. And if you want a solution in case something REALLY breaks you need a proper backup system. To say nothing of the costs occurred when stuff DOES break and you need to pay out of pocket because the warranty doesn't cover it. Then there's all the various security systems to prevent someone from getting in to INTENTIONALLY break your stuff. Then there's all the ancillary stuff (domain registration, etc.) that contributes MORE costs. And if you decide to go a 3rd party hosted route at an off-site datacenter there's even MORE costs.

So basically what your really saying is for Hitech to scrap this game and just start over with something you "think" will work better.... well at least for you it will.

I dont believe that is really an option. I think the game can still be saved, and not just for the "old guard". The game just needs a better opening. Right now it is too discouraging for the "I want it now" generation.

What I've OBSERVED will work better. Something HAS to give, it's the only way the game will be able to not just compete, but survive. An FTP mode is just a band-aid, and the implementation you propose — where the free players pretty much just exist to fly P-40s and Hurricane Is as target practice for the Paying Elite in La-7s and Spit XVIs — is just going to be the equivalent of ripping out all the hair when you pull it off.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:47:48 PM by Saxman »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2019, 09:46:30 PM »
I hope you're being facetious. I work in IT and nothing could be further from the truth. It's more than just the direct operating costs of the server (IE power, internet, etc.) Stuff breaks. And if you want to prevent the stuff breaking from putting you out of commission you need another server that you can fail over to, which adds the cost of more servers. And if you want a solution in case something REALLY breaks you need a proper backup system. To say nothing of the costs occurred when stuff DOES break and you need to pay out of pocket because the warranty doesn't cover it. Then there's all the various security systems to prevent someone from getting in to INTENTIONALLY break your stuff. Then there's all the ancillary stuff (domain registration, etc.) that contributes MORE costs. And if you decide to go a 3rd party hosted route at an off-site datacenter there's even MORE costs.

I didn't say cheap.  I said relatively cheap, compared to the cost of the highly paid developers and artists over the months and years it takes to build great software.

And I believe from past conversation that Hitech's code is very, very efficient and doesn't use near the capacity he already has sitting in his closet. (Especially with the old one declining in population.)  I bet he could host multiple games on his existing infrastructure.

Hardware is not the problem.  Content is the problem. 

(You frekin IT guys.... :rolleyes: go play with some cat5.)    :D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:33:34 PM by CptTrips »