Author Topic: Rudder Pedals vs Twisty  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Rudder Pedals vs Twisty
« on: November 25, 2019, 04:47:24 PM »
I've always used twisty sticks because i'm already juggling all the buttons and sliders and twisting on my stick along with a beer and a sandwich and I don't think I can keep track of my feet and what they're supposed to be doing. 

Just saw a post that not using pedals is a disadvantage.  Is it?  Even with a twisty stick?

Cheers!
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Re: Rudder Pedals vs Twisty
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
Pedals are definitely better. I use VKB T-rudder pedals. Expensive but they are the best I have tried.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:17:00 PM »
My experience is that pedals are going to be much more precise than the twisty stick. It's also a much more natural movement and requires less coordination that trying to twist the stick. Less risk of accidentally putting other control forces into the stick as well
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
I know people who can be beasts with a twisty.  I know people who can be beasts with mouse and keyboard.

For the rest of us mere mortals, IMO pedals are very helpful.  They take a bit to get used to, but they're well worth it.  They allow you to isolate what you're doing with the rudder from what you're doing with the ailerons/elevator.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 05:31:19 PM »
Well said  Wiley. Twisty stick for rudder always affected input to elevator and aelerons when I used them when I started.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
I can't use the mouse to fly and the couple times I tried the twisty I was always putting in rudder by accident, I'm not sure I use my rudder enough due to lack of coordination in the moment but the twisty just makes that worse because sometimes sitting on your hands is the right thing to do, less is more etc. etc. The one thing that is kind of meh about rudder pedals is that there is no real force feedback.
Pies not kicks.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 07:25:20 PM »
Pedals are more precise, and with some practice you use them without thinking about it. I also find it easier to do something like a snap roll with pedals, as opposed to a twisty.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »
. . .with some practice you use them without thinking about it.

There's definitely a learning curve at first. I often found myself not using them by accident. Now I can't imagine flying without them

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »
Pedals are more precise, and with some practice you use them without thinking about it. I also find it easier to do something like a snap roll with pedals, as opposed to a twisty.

:salute
Sik

One of the best kills I ever made I'd never have been able to pull off with a twist stick.

I was in an F4U-1 (back before we got the 1A with the remodel), merging at co-alt with a P-47 I ran across while cruising home from a furball at about 15,000 feet. The merge was at fairly high speed (I punched on WEP as soon as I had him iconed) and  we were offset about 300 yards to starboard to avoid a straight HO. He was setting up to swing around behind me as we passed, so I kicked full left rudder just as we were about to merge, and raked him nose to tail. Shredded his left wing in one burst.

With a twist stick I very likely would have had too much elevator or aileron input to keep my nose level. Additionally, I probably wouldn't have been able to time it properly, because it's simply a much quicker and more natural movement to kick the rudder than twist the wrist in that manner.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 08:43:55 PM »
rudder pedals make it more like flying a real plane. while not necessary, they do make it better and easier to fly. you can do more things with pedals. just my 2 cents.

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »
I always felt i did better with a twisty. I have rudder pedals now, cause my favorite twisty is not made anymore and hard to find used (MSForceFeedback)

Been using the pedals for a while now and they do take some getting used to, i feel they are a wash.
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 09:37:13 PM »
Thinking about getting a set of pedals.
What would be a good set without breaking the bank.
Thanks;
Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
Hey Goat, I have a set of CH pro pedals. They are fairly close together which is the main complaint of most people. I dont have a problem with that. They have toe brakes and are pretty smooth. The big selling point is that I have used them for YEARS with out an issue. First set I owned was a "serial" connector set and only retired them when I bought a USB set when they came out years ago.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
My CH Pro pedals keep going and going and going....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »
My CH Pro pedals keep going and going and going....

Mine, too.

- oldman