Author Topic: Rudder Pedals vs Twisty  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Rudder Pedals vs Twisty
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »
I didn't like the CH peds as they were set too close together. Just kinda uncomfortable ifyaknowwhatimean! So then I had some Saitek peds that had a wider stance and toe brakes. They worked but were not the smoothest action in the world. Inaccurate at best. Just a product of their construction. I've had MFG Crosswinds peds for a couple of years now and totally love them. Excellent build quality, configurable and contactless sensors so they're super smooth. All composite with steel bearings. They have some weight to them unlike the others. They cost a lot more but I figure they're also the last set of peds I'd ever need to buy. If ya had some extra bucks to throw around I'd recommend them.

I don't know if there's an advantage or not to peds vs twist. It's all about the controllers themselves and muscle memory. If twisty works for you then that's all that matters.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 08:38:49 AM »
I've got a set of Thrustmaster Elite Pedals...I used a twisty stick forever...I'll never fly with a twisty stick again...I never knew what rudder control was until I started using my pedals...it took me many hours of flying before I was able to use them right...it helps so much in slow speed knife fights and in the vert...I'll never go back and would recommend that anyone playing this game get a set of rudder pedals...

Mine are gameport pedals from back in the day...I have to use a gameport to usb adapter...and it works just fine... :joystick: :airplane: :banana:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 09:49:02 AM »
I switched from twisty stick to pedals long ago, there was a transition, but ultimately pedals were an improvement for me, and as others have said, I have CH Pro pedals......and they keep working without issue.

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies, will check out the deals
on cyber Monday.
Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 11:40:28 PM »
I switched from twisty stick to pedals back to twisty stick.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 12:12:49 AM »
I had a twisty flew with pedals for 5 years, took about 6 months to get used to it.  was really good, till I torn ligaments on both feet and couldnt use the pedals, took me another 6 months to get to twisty.  if I could I would go back to pedals.  but not ch, just like now I wont buy another ch product.  guess they had a great product once, but I went thru several of them, including pedals that didnt last for crap.  and sure as hell aint gonna spend 500 bucks on pedals from vk.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »
CH worked for me for many years, but had to replace some internal wiring recently.  Expect they will be good for another 10 yrs.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »
I had a twisty flew with pedals for 5 years, took about 6 months to get used to it.  was really good, till I torn ligaments on both feet and couldnt use the pedals, took me another 6 months to get to twisty.  if I could I would go back to pedals.  but not ch, just like now I wont buy another ch product.  guess they had a great product once, but I went thru several of them, including pedals that didnt last for crap.  and sure as hell aint gonna spend 500 bucks on pedals from vk.

semp

Geez, how hard were you working your CH gear? I’ve never had durability issues with any CH product I’ve owned (I STILL have the same Fighterstick I got 15 years ago).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »
Geez, how hard were you working your CH gear? I’ve never had durability issues with any CH product I’ve owned (I STILL have the same Fighterstick I got 15 years ago).
I had a fighterstick for roughly 20 years. I never had an issue with the gimbal even tho it was all plastic. Over the years the only problems I had were the same ones everyone else that had them (and any earlier gen stick for that matter) were the pots either getting dirty or simply wearing out. The parts used to be easy to come by via CH but these days not so much. You can get the right parts with a little digging. Only other problem was a hat switch started to get flaky but with all the mileage put on that stick I didn't owe it a thing. I've since switched to a VKB gunfighter and I doubt I'll have to buy another stick moving forward.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  And goat1's question about recommendations.  I've liked my Thrustmaster T16000M stick.  And they make pedals.  Any experience with the TFRP pedal?  Only $30 less than CH.  So CH would be better choice?

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960764-Thrustmaster-TFRP-Rudder/dp/B015PII6YI

Happy Thanksgiving.
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »

You got the old ch stick. I got the new after the company was sold and quality went down the hill.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
The one thing I wish I could do is build my own 3-axis trim wheel. I've got CH's Quadrant, and I love that I can put trim on analog controls which makes tweaking and fine-tuning trim a snap vs. pushing buttons The only problem is trying to trim aileron and rudder would be much easier if the direction properly matched up with direction (IE, a twist knob for rudder trim, and a horizontal wheel for aileron). I've seen some two-axis trims boxes with aileron/elevator like that, but nothing that has all three axes.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »
The one thing I wish I could do is build my own 3-axis trim wheel. I've got CH's Quadrant, and I love that I can put trim on analog controls which makes tweaking and fine-tuning trim a snap vs. pushing buttons The only problem is trying to trim aileron and rudder would be much easier if the direction properly matched up with direction (IE, a twist knob for rudder trim, and a horizontal wheel for aileron). I've seen some two-axis trims boxes with aileron/elevator like that, but nothing that has all three axes.
On my VKB stick one of the hat switches has a neat trick. In one mode it's a standard 8 way hat. I use it for regular view directions. It has a center press too. A long press on the center transforms that hat to a 2 axis mini stick. I mapped those to elevator and aileron trim. A short press centers them. Another long press puts it back to views. It's a pretty cool feature! I have rudder trim mapped to my throttle.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2019, 06:46:57 AM »
I've always used twisty sticks because i'm already juggling all the buttons and sliders and twisting on my stick along with a beer and a sandwich and I don't think I can keep track of my feet and what they're supposed to be doing. 

Just saw a post that not using pedals is a disadvantage.  Is it?  Even with a twisty stick?

Cheers!

According to a player I had shot down, using rudder pedals was cheating.  Whatever happened to Hammer Down?
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 06:54:07 AM »
and sure as hell aint gonna spend 500 bucks on pedals from vk.

semp

VKB pedals don't cost that much.  Yes, they are pricey but then they are far superior to anything CH, Thrustmaster, or Saitek puts out.  The pedals from those companies are 16bit, while pedals like the T-Rudder MkIV from VKB are 32bit, far more precise and accurate than any 16bit rudder pedals and give the player a significant advantage.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song