Author Topic: Rudder Pedals vs Twisty  (Read 3358 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Rudder Pedals vs Twisty
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
According to a player I had shot down, using rudder pedals was cheating.  Whatever happened to Hammer Down?
Cheating - using rudders, no tracers, HO'ing a B5n in an A8, diving faster than a 262 , shooing down Lancaster from underneath where they have no guns. next will probably be taking off when someone auger into a hangar  :D.

If you fly real planes there is no substitute for rudder pedals in my world.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »
VKB pedals don't cost that much.  Yes, they are pricey but then they are far superior to anything CH, Thrustmaster, or Saitek puts out.  The pedals from those companies are 16bit, while pedals like the T-Rudder MkIV from VKB are 32bit, far more precise and accurate than any 16bit rudder pedals and give the player a significant advantage.
I'm sure that the VKB makes nice products, but I would have to push back on the theory that breaking your 6 inches or so of rudder travel into 65536 chunks lacks the precision necessary to measure position that meets or exceeds the user's ability to actually control that pedal.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
I've had my Saitek pedals for a few years now and they haven't given me any grief.
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
There is a huge amount of both fail and win in pedals design and it's hard to get a set that has win in every category.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
But the fails are largely knocked down by dollars. The cheaper ones either have form factor issues, too small, no durability, no parts availability and almost no service or no service at all.

Higher end peds will cost a hundred or so bucks more but are made of sterner stuff that is far less likely to ever screw up. And if it does they're made by small companies that are glad to stand by their products. In the case of my MFG peds I've had multiple emails from the owner asking how I like them. Try getting that from TM, CH or Saitek! They're smooth as silk and very configurable. I just got a set of adapters that make them a little bit wider and there are various alternate cams and springs to make them feel as you like. The cheaper ones are one trick plug and play. If there's something you don't like about them you're out of luck!

Thing is really flight sims are a niche of the gaming world so decent pedals are a niche of the controller world.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
CH pro peds

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
I just find it hard to believe Gooss you've flown all this time without peddles. Now it makes sense that I was able to shoot you down in that funny blue wingy thing. My old CH peddles still going strong, but you deserve those fine looking MFG or VKB's. How else can you control all that torque on them hogs?

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
<S> Pots. It’s guys like you who’ve always punished me to make me finally look into pedals. I just hope I don’t spill my beer when I get them.
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
Guess y’all talked me into pedals. So what’s the top of the line stick these days, currently have a X52 Pro.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
I do ok with just my sidewinder
 :joystick:
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
Guess y’all talked me into pedals. So what’s the top of the line stick these days, currently have a X52 Pro.

You know you don't have to get a new stick to add rudder pedals? It is a good excuse though.

Top of the line sticks would be the VKB, https://vkbcontrollers.com/ and Virpil https://virpil.com/. They both make rudder pedals as well.
There are also other options when it comes to top of the line pedals. MFG Crosswinds, https://mfg-sim.com/en/ and what I'm currently using Slaw Devices Viper Rx. Slaw Devices is the only outfit that doesn't have a web store. You contact him through facebook.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
You know you don't have to get a new stick to add rudder pedals? It is a good excuse though.

:salute
Sik

Yea, just not sure what the shelf life of this x52 will be.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
VKB just announced a twist adapter for their gunfighter line of sticks. It seems like that release may be close to imminent.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
VKB makes good stuff. I still use their rudder pedals and like them a lot.  They make good sticks too, but IMO not quite as good as Virpil. VKB used to have top notch service, but it has gone downhill. Virpil has regularly scheduled restocks and good communication with product release dates. The quality of the throttle and bases are great. The Virpil software is also much easier to navigate

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 06:25:25 AM »
I've always used rudder pedals since I first started in Air Warrior, so well over 20 years.  I've had different sets over the years and currently using VKB, which are excellent.  I'd rather use rudder pedals than a twisty stick any day!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun