Author Topic: Lion Air Report  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Lion Air Report
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
So far not a single crew has failed to overcome this situation successfully and survive.

Proof that well trained and experienced pilots can handle the “What the h_ _ _ is it doing now!” events by step one: Maintain aircraft control, etc, etc, etc.

Good on you for introducing this event in the sim.  Better to see it there and no be quite so startled when/if it happens out on line.  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
Because of the Max crashes, I have been giving all my recurrent clients the AOA malfunction/stick pusher event at unstick. For almost every crew, it's something no one has ever given them in the sim, something they have never experienced.

The pusher repeatedly pushes the nose down if AOA exceeds 1.0., which is what the AOA malfunction does. Takes 75lbs of force to overcome the pusher or holding down the A/P disconnect disables the pusher as well. (Oh, btw, although the aircraft is continuously reading both AOA vanes, either vane sensing >.99 AOA will trigger the push. Just one, in other words.)

So far not a single crew has failed to overcome this situation successfully and survive.

I guess it's fair to point out that all of these individuals have far more than 200 hours flying time.

Go figure.

Nice job.   :cheers:

I’ve been giving my guys stab trim runaways and AP hardover drills the same way.  In the Falcon the last resort to a runaway is the Primary and/or Backup Stab Trim CBs.  I don’t want them looking for it for the first time when it happens for real.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
Yeah, the QRH procedure is to find the CB and pull it.

However, the AOA/Stall Barrier (Pusher) is wired through the AOA heat switch. If the AOA heat is off, no shaker, no pusher.

So the quick and dirty back door is to look at the two AOA displays and turn off the heat on the one that is malfunctioning. Instant relief. Plenty of time then to go to the QRH.

File under: "Things you need to know how to do with out reference to the QRH."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
 :aok :aok :aok

Falcons don’t address it other than using the backup trim.   My query then becomes, “What do you do if that fails to stop it?”

That’s one good thing about dedicated cutout switches like the Embraer and Boeing have.    But if you don’t use them correctly, as with Lion Air.......splat.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:42:02 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »
Boeing is suspends production of the Max.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=boing+max&view=detail&mid=F94B8A16915F037D1D88F94B8A16915F037D1D88&FORM=VIRE

We all seem to be living in a time where are opinions are formed more by sensationalism than knowledge and facts. The "evil MCAS" was making headlines before the wreckage of the Ethiopian jet stopped burning. History has shown that determining the probable cause of an aviation accident can take years of investigation.
This will damage the Boeing Company. People will continue to fear flying on the newly certified airplane - whenever that happens - and apparently nothing will be done to get to the root problem. I read that Ethiopian is converting to an all airbus fleet - I wish them luck; I don't believe that Airbus jets are idiot-proof either.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
We all seem to be living in a time where are opinions are formed more by sensationalism than knowledge and facts. The "evil MCAS" was making headlines before the wreckage of the Ethiopian jet stopped burning. History has shown that determining the probable cause of an aviation accident can take years of investigation.
This will damage the Boeing Company. People will continue to fear flying on the newly certified airplane - whenever that happens - and apparently nothing will be done to get to the root problem. I read that Ethiopian is converting to an all airbus fleet - I wish them luck; I don't believe that Airbus jets are idiot-proof either.

AF 447 is but one example of how Airbus can be FUBAR.

Meanwhile the Embraer 145 fleet is approaching fifty million flight hours without a fatality.   It's utterly remarkable.
”KILLER V”