Author Topic: Going to build this for myself for xmas. Do you see any issues with my parts?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
I've convinced the wife to let me build myself a new computer for Christmas. Here is what I am planning on buying. Do you guys see any issues before I order all my parts?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p3nn6R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive   
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case   
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 

This should be a nice upgrade to my current build that I built back in 2011. I5-2500k xfx6950 2gb

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Its a good list, do you plan to have 2 of the Intel 660Ps? I hear they are very good for price per GB. If you want just 1 drive Is 1TB really enough for you? (they go up to 2TB)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
Its a good list, do you plan to have 2 of the Intel 660Ps? I hear they are very good for price per GB. If you want just 1 drive Is 1TB really enough for you? (they go up to 2TB)

Yes, I plan to run 2 of the 1TB 660p in the M.2 slots and I'll probably have a couple HDDs in the case as well. The 1TB drives were on sale for $82 each.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
havent built anything in years but not sure if this still applies.  the paste or whatever you call it to attach the cpu to the mobo was always better to buy it separately.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
havent built anything in years but not sure if this still applies.  the paste or whatever you call it to attach the cpu to the mobo was always better to buy it separately.

semp

You mean thermal paste like Arctic Silver.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
Good call on the thermal paste. I will order some now.  :aok

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Hey Silver, have you purchased these components yet?

if not, I would recommend replacing that motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard

with 1 of the 2 listed below:

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus  https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119197

or

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX Motherboard  https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-x570-f-gaming/p/N82E16813119195

and consider using Crucial's Ballistix TUF Pro gamers memory.... it is made specifically for the TUF series ASUS AMDRyzen AM4 Motherboards

just some suggestions.....

Good Luck on your build

~S~

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
I would advise againt using a slow QLC-Flash based SSD as system drive. If you already have them you may want to use a good SATA SSD as system drive and use the 660s simply as storage. A single i660p 2TB should be better bang for the buck as storage, the newer/faster i665p with improved QLC are sadly not available yet.

Better get a good air cooler (Noctua as known best?) than the fancy liquid cooler, usually not worth the money + nothing gained in case you want a silent system.

memory should be OK but might be a bit expensive. Other option would be Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 CL16 with exceptionally good Micron E-dies.

Sapphire is known to build the best (balanced) AMD cards so you might want to compare your choice with their Nitro+

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
I think the 660 would be fine for my use case but I went ahead and got a 1TB 970 evo plus that i'll use for boot and I'll use the other two 660s as storage. That will fill all three m.2 slots in the MB.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
If you haven't already bought it, I'd say try to find a different model 5700XT. The XFX Thicc is one of the worst model 5700s in terms of thermals (along with the MSI Evoke).
The Sapphire Nitro, Gigabyte Gaming OC, or PowerCooler RedDevil would be better if you can get one.

If you already have the card, just keep an eye on the temps, it's gonna run really hot so the fan curve may need to be adjusted.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
The Thicc II had thermal problems but those are supposed to be cured in the Thicc III. I heard they even offer to send in Thicc II to fix the thermal issue

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
If you haven't already bought it, I'd say try to find a different model 5700XT. The XFX Thicc is one of the worst model 5700s in terms of thermals (along with the MSI Evoke).
The Sapphire Nitro, Gigabyte Gaming OC, or PowerCooler RedDevil would be better if you can get one.

If you already have the card, just keep an eye on the temps, it's gonna run really hot so the fan curve may need to be adjusted.

The THICC 3 is a lot better than the THICC 2. Thermals are great so far although I haven't actually pushed it yet. I'm still installing drivers and software and such. Just completed the build last night.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
The THICC 3 is a lot better than the THICC 2. Thermals are great so far although I haven't actually pushed it yet. I'm still installing drivers and software and such. Just completed the build last night.

Didn't even realize the THICC 3 came out last month, just saw THICC and got worried with how bad the 2 was. Good to know they listened and fixed it with the 3!  :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Here is my 7 year old rig ...LOL
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22514872

UserBenchmarks: Game 36%, Desk 64%, Work 44%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 - 78%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 - 32.6%
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB - 62.6%