Author Topic: Cross country PMs disabled. Why?  (Read 5322 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cross country PMs disabled. Why?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Now I'm not sure how difficult it would be to coad but having PM's act like a join request may solve the issue,you just cant jump in someones plane without them giving you the ok first. Want to send me a pm,I get a little check box popup to say yes or no...simple solution that would work for both text and vox.

That's exactly what I think should be done.  Give the players the tools to hear/see what they want, and not see what they don't more than once from a source.  It's an online game, there will always always always be people that you don't want to hear from/are abusive.  Unless they start doing a psychiatric check on the people before they give them an account, and I don't think 2/3 of the population of the game would be classified sane in the second place. ;)

In the end,you're my friend Wiley so it's not personal.
    :salute

One of the things I wish I could wave a wand and get rid of is the way people get nettled online if you don't 100% agree with them (not saying you at all Morf).  No offense taken, my friends don't have to agree with everything I think. :)  :salute

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
So we agree! :aok

The issue is it will take some coading,in the time being disabling is a solution that requires next to nothing to implement.Hopefully Dale can resolve it with a popup.

We canuks need to stick together,it's a small world afterall! :noid :noid

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »
I know the folks who work hard to fill the scenarios and such will not like it. We PM folks in the Mains to remind them of the time and to invite them to come fly in the scenario when trying to fill slots.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 02:05:44 PM »
So we agree! :aok

The issue is it will take some coading,in the time being disabling is a solution that requires next to nothing to implement.Hopefully Dale can resolve it with a popup.

We canuks need to stick together,it's a small world afterall! :noid :noid

Yuck.

I hate popups in the middle of game-play.  Just like I hate join requests.  Almost got me killed last scenario.

I'd prefer a msg in my text buffer, "Player Morfiend sent you a PM but was blocked."  Doesn't obscure my view in the middle of a dogfight.

After I land, I can turn off my block setting and PM back "Hay what did you need?"

And Canucks?  Manifest Destiny works North and South, not just East and West.  You shall be absorbed! (Except for the French speakers.)  ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »
Bonjour coma sava?

I hear you about the popup blocking views but I get my messages in the text buffer for .join and assumed the same would be done for PM's....I know I know assumed.

Sava tre bien Merci.

Borg shall be illuminated!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »
WTG Hitech, probabably should've been done years ago. atleast in the MA.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »
Yuck.

I hate popups in the middle of game-play.  Just like I hate join requests.  Almost got me killed last scenario.

I'd prefer a msg in my text buffer, "Player Morfiend sent you a PM but was blocked."  Doesn't obscure my view in the middle of a dogfight.

After I land, I can turn off my block setting and PM back "Hay what did you need?"

And Canucks?  Manifest Destiny works North and South, not just East and West.  You shall be absorbed! (Except for the French speakers.)  ;)

Yeah, like Morf said, have it work the same as join requests.  I would've hoped that'd be obvious but life keeps showing me what I think is obvious isn't always. ;)

I just think one fix to fix stuff we don't want to see regardless of whether it's friend, foe, in another arena, or whatever makes a lot more sense than targeting one part of the arena and ignoring that a similar problem can arise from anywhere else.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
I've gotten the "cross country PMs disabled" message twice -- both times immediately after a collision -- though I didn't try to PM.  Maybe a collision is a "trigger" event that inspires rage PMs.   :D

I can think of other "trigger" events....     :O
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:40:17 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
I've gotten the "cross country PMs disabled" message twice -- both times immediately after a collision -- though I didn't try to PM.  Maybe a collision is a "trigger" event that produces rage PMs.   :D

LoL!  See?  Already working!
 :rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
That is the most pathetic PM I have ever seen.  I sincerely hope this player is gone.  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
I've gotten the "cross country PMs disabled" message twice -- both times immediately after a collision -- though I didn't try to PM.  Maybe a collision is a "trigger" event that inspires rage PMs.   :D

I can think of other "trigger" events....     :O

Perhaps it's the "Popeye has collided with you" message that's being sent to your opponent automatically, which is triggering it?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »
I know the folks who work hard to fill the scenarios and such will not like it. We PM folks in the Mains to remind them of the time and to invite them to come fly in the scenario when trying to fill slots.

In a way I agree and understand the point.  However, we as CMs can blast messages to the MAs for a larger audience. 

The only time this becomes a problem is if lets say, Shuffler had to jump into the MA and saw me and needed to shoot a quick PM because he is Knight and I am Rook.  He would need to be able to get my attention somehow (to his point) to get me over to the event.  I personally usually stay away from channel 200 most of the time so I would never see a message from him unless he switched countries to get to me. 

This is the ONLY issue I see in disabling PMs.

I do like the idea of having the option to choose to accept a PM as it is sent.  Not sure how that looks in the coding world but it is a good idea.

:rock
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
A pilot's handle should be tied to their account, so if you squelch david, he changes his name to tom, he's still squelched.  Meanwhile newguy1 takes the pilot handle of david, but he's not going to be squelched.  Everyone will hear him just fine.

Point is, squelching should be tied to an account, not a pilot handle.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Yup.  I assume that guy earned a well deserved muting at least.  Now, does it make sense to disable it for all versus dealing with the people who are actually causing the problem and having to opt-in to receive cross country PMs?  I think it would be pretty safe to say that over 50% of the people in the arena have probably never PMed something like that to another player.

I've seen a lot of stupidity on country, doesn't mean I want the channel shut down.

Wiley.

Classic case of a few bad apples ruining it for the rest  :aok
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
I guess I dont see it as limiting what one hears or is exposed to,more along the lines of stopping the abuse. Would you not agree the SS Dale posted was abusive?

Now I'm not sure how difficult it would be to coad but having PM's act like a join request may solve the issue,you just cant jump in someones plane without them giving you the ok first. Want to send me a pm,I get a little check box popup to say yes or no...simple solution that would work for both text and vox.

I was thinking along the same lines but I would add something where in if you get a pm there is a button to push to mute/report the player, (probably for new players, with a checkbox for don't show me again.) A new player is not going to have any idea that he can or how to. Also if somebody sends a pm like the one shown they should never be able to send another pm ever. Maybe this doesn't work with the psychology of players and they won't throw tantrums if you just don't let them misbehave. Still it is a little bit of the "this is why we can't have nice things" category.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:23:46 PM by pembquist »
Pies not kicks.