Author Topic: New computer and sad reflection...  (Read 1319 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
New computer and sad reflection...
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »
Build new PC this weekend. 9700k 32gb 2070 super and NVM drive - i wanted to fly around in jets and my old 3570k with 16gb and 1080 just couldn't handle DCS.
( using Oculus Rift CV1 ).

New machine is smoking fast ( nvdm sure makes a difference in load time).

I doubled my already reasonable frame rates in AH - upwards of 90 now and it positively affected my gunnery. Seems that i can hit things now.

I decieded to see if Il2 load times would be reduced - as previously it was just way too long and FPS was low.
Game loaded really fast, FPS was 50+ and when i logged on to multiplayer - there was 200+ people playing ( evening euro time ) with over 70 on one of the server.
10 minutes earlier i logged off from AH and entire main arena was 70 folks.

This really saddens me. I didn't know IL2 overtook AH in popularity :(

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: New computer and sad reflection...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
Big maps.  Too many sides.  Diluted action.    It's a self-eating cycle. 

Gotta get some smaller maps in rotation to reverse the trend.    Even scenario maps now and then like the Pacific War stuff as an occasional change of pace would do wonders. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:35:47 AM »
It's good that so many people are still interested in WW2 air combat. 

Surprised that IL2 cut your FPS in half. I wonder how many IL2 VR players know that?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
I recently started playing coop IL2 and I'm not seeing those numbers in prime time Eastern Time Zone. (9-10-11-12PM) I saw less than 6-7 people over several servers one night.

FSO can still draw 60-70 players per side, so it's still where it's at on Friday Nights.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »
FLS - i think it was a slow CPU fault.

To give credit - AH performance was still stellar. I think it will run fine on slowest of machine.
I guess there is a gain/loss calculation on HTC side - better graphics = higher spec requirements...
Either way, IL2 does look amazing when flying in VR. Can't say much for other aspects as I haven't learned it yet.

Nefarious - maybe its a euro thing ?

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
When I get home I can look at my IL2 settings. With the CV1 I was getting 89 most of the time flying around, in action it would jump around a little.  The load times were affecting a lot of people until one of the recent patches.

EDIT*   Thinking about it a bit more, It sounds like you have Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) enabled in oculus. I forgot to mention I have it disabled.  If you open the oculus debug tool you can disable it.  Here is a link if you want to read about what it does. 
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:26:04 AM by Pluto »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »
Build new PC this weekend. 9700k 32gb 2070 super and NVM drive - i wanted to fly around in jets and my old 3570k with 16gb and 1080 just couldn't handle DCS.
( using Oculus Rift CV1 ).

New machine is smoking fast ( nvdm sure makes a difference in load time).

I doubled my already reasonable frame rates in AH - upwards of 90 now and it positively affected my gunnery. Seems that i can hit things now.

I decieded to see if Il2 load times would be reduced - as previously it was just way too long and FPS was low.
Game loaded really fast, FPS was 50+ and when i logged on to multiplayer - there was 200+ people playing ( evening euro time ) with over 70 on one of the server.
10 minutes earlier i logged off from AH and entire main arena was 70 folks.

This really saddens me. I didn't know IL2 overtook AH in popularity :(

So they had the same number as AH... 70.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
AH3 is a much better experience in VR than IL2 is IMHO

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
AH3 is a much better experience in VR than IL2 is IMHO

<S>

Eagler

i agree, and i wish we had more people ;)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »

Ask any PC flight-simmer and I'd bet 99.98% of them have played or know of IL2 and it's spin-offs. 

I'd bet that only about 5% have ever heard about Aces High.  Maybe only 2% have ever subscribed.

Il2 might have an edge in graphic effects (with the offsetting performance load), it has a nice damage model, etc, but I'd argue that the difference in exposure is almost totally due to the fact that is has a stand-alone single-player campaign/mission mode.

I believe there are several orders of magnitude more regular Joe's out there that just want a game they can fire up offline and play for an hour and pretend they are a WWII fighter pilot.  They might have an hour between putting the kids to bed and calling it a night because they have work tomorrow.  Most regular Joe's have no desire to put the time and effort it requires be competitive online against other players. 

They may dabble in it occasionally if it comes included in the game they bought, but they are not going to pay a monthly fee to compete against people who spend every waking hour obsessed with the game. 

I'd love to see HTC be able to access some of that other market someday.  (In addition, not instead of.)  If nothing else, it could provide a vector to increase visibility of Aces High.

$0.02.

:salute,
CptTrips

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
I recently started playing coop IL2 and I'm not seeing those numbers in prime time Eastern Time Zone. (9-10-11-12PM) I saw less than 6-7 people over several servers one night.

FSO can still draw 60-70 players per side, so it's still where it's at on Friday Nights.

Combat Box is frequently full during US east hours, click the top of the server pop. column, it will sort servers by most players.

So they had the same number as AH... 70.

70 is more than enough when there are only 2 sides, and the objectives aren't spread over hundreds of miles.  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 01:44:34 PM by Krupinski »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »
Usually when I am on AH there are 110 or more on. Of course I am here in the US.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »
Usually when I am on AH there are 110 or more on. Of course I am here in the US.

yes, but about a year ago it was in the 180's regularly.

Last night I believe there were 180 people on when I logged in. Numbers are still climbing.

Numbers fluctuate, but it seems clear to me that there has been a steady average YOY decline over the last 10 years.

I want to do everything possible to turn that trend around, but we at least need to face the fact that there is a problem.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 06:15:16 PM »
I love il2. Just hate there is no voice comms and I really need ddr4 for vr in there. Otherwise 2 sides three targets per country and bergota fighting arena. Also bombers aren’t OP in there and take actual damage. They will still get you but they have an actual damage model.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 06:24:04 PM »
I love il2. Just hate there is no voice comms and I really need ddr4 for vr in there. Otherwise 2 sides three targets per country and bergota fighting arena. Also bombers aren’t OP in there and take actual damage. They will still get you but they have an actual damage model.

Only bomber that doesn't take damage is 999, rest of us noobs get killed by just about anything.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.