Author Topic: Another 737 down  (Read 8055 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Another 737 down
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
My question is. Why weren't all planes grounded? Missiles going off and the plane happens to be taking off? Just happen to hit the plane as its taking off. Seems like a high margin of error for a missile to accidentally hit a plane. Why would they risk taking off if missiles are that close to the airport?

I saw an unverified report that the flight was delayed 80 minutes until the last missile was fired by Iran at Iraq.

The missile that shot it down was probably part of the local air defense system. Doubt we'll ever get details of the screw up but they killed a lot of Iranians on that flight.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 12:25:03 AM »
I saw an unverified report that the flight was delayed 80 minutes until the last missile was fired by Iran at Iraq.

The missile that shot it down was probably part of the local air defense system. Doubt we'll ever get details of the screw up but they killed a lot of Iranians on that flight.

Sadly, it was mostly Canadians as most of the Iranians listed were dual citizens (Iranian/Canadian). So 63 Canadians and 82 ‘Iranians’. We expect the number of dead Canadians to drastically rise as they sort out where they actually reside. But it really doesn’t matter. 😞

I’m sure they’ll take a page out of the Russian playbook... deny deny deny.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 01:32:10 AM »
Oh my, real world pilots.  Solve this mystery.  We're counting on you.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 06:44:58 AM »
Sadly, it was mostly Canadians as most of the Iranians listed were dual citizens (Iranian/Canadian). So 63 Canadians and 82 ‘Iranians’. We expect the number of dead Canadians to drastically rise as they sort out where they actually reside. But it really doesn’t matter. 😞

I’m sure they’ll take a page out of the Russian playbook... deny deny deny.

The flight was basically Iranians, many with dual citizenship. Point being it's unlikely they were targeted on purpose by Iran.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 07:20:55 AM »

If so I wonder what flight was originally scheduled to take off at that time? A US aircraft perhaps?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »
Oh my, real world pilots.  Solve this mystery.  We're counting on you.

(Image removed from quote.)

Coogan
I'll see your Inch High Private Eye and raise you, well figuratively, Tom of T.H.U.M.B.

https://youtu.be/TLzJEzCdTuQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 07:55:03 AM »
Could you imagine if there was just one American on that plane. Why would they risk that? It was downed 3 hours after the missile attack. Were other planes taking off before it? Why that plane? Iran to Ukraine is sketch right now given the situation.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 08:26:29 AM »
If so I wonder what flight was originally scheduled to take off at that time? A US aircraft perhaps?

That would assume a deliberate shoot down. In a corrupt country incompetence is more likely than a conspiracy with no obvious payoff.  There are no US flights in and out of Iran as far as I know, the recent FAA ban was for flights crossing Iranian airspace.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
We're quite certain it was an accidental shootdown. All it takes is a nervous military officer at a missile battery mistaking a bogey on his screen as an enemy bomber climbing out after a retaliatory strike on Tehran. It's happened before except this time they Iran did it to a foreign airliner.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:05:39 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
Could you imagine if there was just one American on that plane. Why would they risk that? It was downed 3 hours after the missile attack. Were other planes taking off before it? Why that plane? Iran to Ukraine is sketch right now given the situation.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you. The flight was full of Iranian spies returning to their assignments and the missile battery was remotely hacked to shoot down the aircraft with plausible deniability.  :noid

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
I wouldnt be surprised if they was going to say it was shot down by an american fighter as one of the excuses. But if it indeed was an accidental shootdown by their own SAM site, the crew of that site are probably already executed to make sure it cant leak out

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 12:13:13 PM »

why that plane? you ever think that question applies to any plane? if they had shot down a different one, you would still ask that question.

if it was shot down by a missile, it was probably an accident.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
why that plane? you ever think that question applies to any plane? if they had shot down a different one, you would still ask that question.

if it was shot down by a missile, it was probably an accident.

semp

It would apply to any plane. However, It was going from Iran to Ukraine. To me that's very interesting given what we know about both countries. Don't know names on the flight yet.

Seems like an accident would be extremely negligent. One American on that plane could have caused Ww3 and real military action by the US. Just think about it. Those mullahs reeealllyyy didnt want that, which is why no Americans died in the save face attack.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
It’s probably trumps fault it was shot down.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
It would apply to any plane. However, It was going from Iran to Ukraine. To me that's very interesting given what we know about both countries.

Since it was a Ukrainian airline with regular service to Iran it's not unusual for it to fly it's normal schedule.