Author Topic: speed command  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
speed command
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
I thought this would be useful for level bombing, but as I have researched how it works it's only version of the auto pilot climb mode where the auto pilot will vary pitch to try to keep the IAS at a set speed at a given throttle setting. This setting is no use when dropping bombs.  Since it works of IAS It's not even useful for timing missions and rendezvous because that would require constant TAS. Auto climb already provides the optimum pitch and power to achieve the highest possible climb rate without stalling.

So my questions are what is the purpose of this setting?

Wouldn't a true cruise control in level mode be much more useful?

Why is this setting disabled in level flight mode?

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: speed command
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:08:57 AM »
The speed command is the manual adjustment of the auto-climb command. One good reason to adjust it is so you can climb at a speed that still has good turn performance.

If you want to use it to set a level flight speed you would set the speed then adjust the throttle to avoid climbing or descending.  Note that it take a little while for the aircraft to stabilize.

In level flight mode the auto pilot has to respond to speed changes so you can't specify the speed.

The auto pilot modes are simply to reduce the workload of the virtual pilot without adding modern features to the autopilot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:14:33 AM by FLS »

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »
I think it is safe to say that there is no such thing as "auto climb" there is only the speed mode which results in a climb because most people have the throttle all the way in. What I have learned to do with bombers is to get a calibration at a speed I like and then climb or accelerate ignoring the difference in speed between actual and calibrated and then when I am getting ready to do the bomb run I fly in F1 or F3 and mindful of the difference between IAS (what the instruments show) and TAS (what the bombsight is calibrated in) I pitch up or down, retard throttle etc. till I am at the correct speed, get into F6 and double tap U to correct the altitude calibration. A stabilized approach is most accurate as everything is settled down but I have had good luck with this method and it allows me to get the most height or the fastest transit time. (also I have to change control mode in F6 because the default doesn't let me maneuver left or right)
Pies not kicks.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
What I usually do when I'm bombing is just autolevel, calibrate at some point, note the airspeed in the bombsight that it's calibrated to, and then when I'm close to target just move the throttle to match the TAS showing in the bombsight.  Seems to work just fine, about the simplest thing in the game to do.  A couple feet high/low or a couple mph off on the speed moves the impact point a couple feet on the ground.  IMO unless you're at ludicrous alt it's not worth that much to micromanage your alt/speed.

Seems to me autolevel does what it says on the tin, and you can adjust it with throttle.  Setting speed keeps you at a consistant IAS for climbing, which seems to me it would be preferable rather than having a setting that holds to climb rate or something like that.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:38:02 AM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
I think it is safe to say that there is no such thing as "auto climb" ...

Technically it's autopilot speed mode. What we call auto climb refers to the default speed setting which, as Vinkman pointed out, gives you your best climb rate.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
What I usually do when I'm bombing is just autolevel, calibrate at some point, note the airspeed in the bombsight that it's calibrated to, and then when I'm close to target just move the throttle to match the TAS showing in the bombsight.  Seems to work just fine, about the simplest thing in the game to do.  A couple feet high/low or a couple mph off on the speed moves the impact point a couple feet on the ground.  IMO unless you're at ludicrous alt it's not worth that much to micromanage your alt/speed.

Seems to me autolevel does what it says on the tin, and you can adjust it with throttle.  Setting speed keeps you at a consistant IAS for climbing, which seems to me it would be preferable rather than having a setting that holds to climb rate or something like that.

Wiley.

This is what I currently do also. I find that it takes many adjustments to get the Speed to match the calibrated speed. Aften times  in level flight it takes the plane a really long time to real terminal velocity at any given throttle setting. Overshoot, over correct, overshoot, over correct.  It's hard physically move the throttle in such small increments. Since the idea of auto pilot is reduce the workload. Why not enable the speed mode in level flight so the auto pilot will converge the speed to a set number in a reasonable about of time? I still have to fight off fighter, calibrate, line it up, salvo, delay. drop etc... 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:39:30 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
Also..I know the throttle is pushed in or max or what ever, but it's a virtual throttle, so the code can over ride what ever position the pilot has input even if his throttle never changes position. if he does move it, it should deactivate the Auto pilot and just move to the actual current throttle position setting. 

Anyone support a speed mode control for level flight?  If so I may put in the wish list.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:40:42 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
Changing the auto pilot code is not going to stabilize the aircraft speed any sooner, it's not that kind of flight model. 

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
I AP: Speed climb in increments. Starting at 150 and then every few thousand feet I step the speed up until I am at 200 IAS. I stay here until I reach my designated alt. Then I Ap: Level and adjust my throttle to stabilize climb to zero. Calibrate and then break stuff on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 09:22:19 PM »
Anyone support a speed mode control for level flight?  If so I may put in the wish list.

Most WWII airplanes did not have any type of autopilot.  Unless you can find documentation of this feature in a specific bomber, it should not be added.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »
Most WWII airplanes did not have any type of autopilot.  Unless you can find documentation of this feature in a specific bomber, it should not be added.

I dont ever recall seeing the Wingman feature either in any WW2 films if were talking realism here.Why even sit there when your wingman is doing all the flying?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »
Wait for the wish before you argue the wish.   :aok

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
I thought this would be useful for level bombing, but as I have researched how it works it's only version of the auto pilot climb mode where the auto pilot will vary pitch to try to keep the IAS at a set speed at a given throttle setting. This setting is no use when dropping bombs.  Since it works of IAS It's not even useful for timing missions and rendezvous because that would require constant TAS. Auto climb already provides the optimum pitch and power to achieve the highest possible climb rate without stalling.

So my questions are what is the purpose of this setting?

Wouldn't a true cruise control in level mode be much more useful?

Why is this setting disabled in level flight mode?

The AP: Level mode works fine. You just need to open your E6B and zero out your climb rate. Once you zero that out your ride should maintain a consistent speed. The rest is proper calibration prior to drop. Don't rush it and it should allow you to smash targets with ease.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
The AP: Level mode works fine. You just need to open your E6B and zero out your climb rate. Once you zero that out your ride should maintain a consistent speed. The rest is proper calibration prior to drop. Don't rush it and it should allow you to smash targets with ease.

Once level, a pilot is required to match the throttle to the current speed. If you come off stable climb and level the plane, the plane will accelerate if the throttle is not reduced. So once you’re level, it’s an iterative throttle process to stabilize at desired speed.
Who is John Galt?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »
The .speed command is not only useful for going up, but also for getting down fast.
Kinda handy trying to get your bombers down quickly.

Coogan  :airplane:
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear