Author Topic: Lock the Screen Refresh at 60Hz ~ Remove hardware from the Dogfight.  (Read 3862 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Lock the Screen Refresh at 60Hz ~ Remove hardware from the Dogfight.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »
Short and sweet.

Refresh rates need to be identical for everyone regardless of the money they invest in hardware.

I and many people I know don't have the budget to compete with people with $5k rigs and get any enjoyment of constantly lagging behind higher grade equipment.

I love Aces High but it's practically un-playable since AH III game out from a game play perspective.

There has been tons of research done on this effect and I am just sick of it. Still holding out but this really has GOT to be fixed.

Didnt realize Bernie played AH3!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 12:13:32 PM »
I invested in a monitor that will run at 144Hz and my k/d hasn't improved at all.  I'm saving up for a 200Hz monitor.    :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
I invested in a monitor that will run at 144Hz and my k/d hasn't improved at all.  I'm saving up for a 200Hz monitor.    :D

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
I'd say if anything VR has been the biggest help to my historically pathetic gunnery. But only by a smidge. Lot of bad habits there!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
Didnt realize Bernie played AH3!

"Muh-illionaires and Buh-illionaires."  :old:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Haskell

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 05:01:25 PM »
Short and sweet.

Refresh rates need to be identical for everyone regardless of the money they invest in hardware.

I and many people I know don't have the budget to compete with people with $5k rigs and get any enjoyment of constantly lagging behind higher grade equipment.

I love Aces High but it's practically un-playable since AH III game out from a game play perspective.

There has been tons of research done on this effect and I am just sick of it. Still holding out but this really has GOT to be fixed.

you're going to have to prove to us why you think this is a problem, the tick rate for this game isn't high enough for this to even matter.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 10:07:59 PM »
Never effected my hit percentage or kill/death that I could tell.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 03:30:35 AM »
Short and sweet.

Another excuse to explain away someone's suckage. 

Playing this game at 60hz refresh rate against someone using a higher refresh rate isn't going to give that person an advantage over the player with the lower refresh rate.  Now, controllers on the other hand can give someone an advantage in this game but not refresh rates. 

Even in eSport games it is questionable if high refresh rates give an advantage.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 04:50:18 AM »
I'd say if anything VR has been the biggest help to my historically pathetic gunnery. But only by a smidge. Lot of bad habits there!

Maybe the effect of it being new made you play more, and that caused it?

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 04:52:38 AM »
Even in eSport games it is questionable if high refresh rates give an advantage.

Some ancient FPS needed exactly 333 fps to make some movements possible. Those times are long gone I hope.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
I would be really curious to see what one can do at a higher refresh rate that they can't at 60 Hz.

This isn't a twitch fps.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
Maybe the effect of it being new made you play more, and that caused it?

Caused what? Improved gunnery? By only by a smidge ain't sayin much! I go back to AW and even when I flew nightly I still sucked at the whole shooty part. The guys that have known me that long can vouch for that! Over the past few years I've gotten new pedals and stick and now VR, figuring I'd play more as I do still enjoy it. But I don't have the time like I used to. I'm an FSO, maybe walk on to a scenario and maybe a random night flying player anymore.

About the only diff with VR is much better depth perception. That does help. Not only does the target look like a truely 3D object, you can literally see the tracers better and walk them in. But my many years of bad gunnery habits die hard. It hasn't helped THAT much! Going from a 75hz monitor to an 80hz HMD hasn't made me super ace!

Back to the subject tho. There's so much more to this game, to combat flight sims. You either know the capabilities of your plane vs the other guy's or you don't. Not knowing that gets you killed. You either know ACM and how to employ it or you don't. Not knowing that gets you killed. You either have good SA skills or you don't. Not being able to keep track of what's going on around you gets you killed. If you can shoot better that can help undo a lot of the other above things you've screwed up, I've never been that guy! Better FR isn't gonna help with most of this. That stuff happens between your ears. However, if you're trying to play on a commodore 64 that just isn't gonna cut it in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 10:51:38 AM »
Drano have you practiced with the lead computing gunsight aid offline or in the TA? You'll need a maneuvering target but it teaches the correct sight picture and everybody that uses it for the first time is surprised by the actual lead required.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 10:59:17 AM »
Drano have you practiced with the lead computing gunsight aid offline or in the TA? You'll need a maneuvering target but it teaches the correct sight picture and everybody that uses it for the first time is surprised by the actual lead required.
No, but even so the "sight picture" needs practice to get established in your mind. That takes time and I'll just use what time I have to flying online. It doesn't frustrate me. It would frustrate me if I didn't have the flying part down and I'm fine there at least.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »
Another excuse to explain away someone's suckage. 

Playing this game at 60hz refresh rate against someone using a higher refresh rate isn't going to give that person an advantage over the player with the lower refresh rate.  Now, controllers on the other hand can give someone an advantage in this game but not refresh rates. 

What rate do you use and why?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)