Author Topic: AI base defenders  (Read 7552 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Re: AI base defenders
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 08:23:43 PM »
Everyone seemed to have fun in Fortress Europe. 
You're taking your Snapshot 1/2 step further.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes!
We need to just keep pushing the envelope.  :D

:salute

That's the intent and glad you are in favor of it.  :salute
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 12:57:18 AM »
2 minutes into an ai fight over a base.

20 threads about ai going for a ho shot.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 04:59:55 AM »
This would provide additional action when the numbers are low and or the map too large IMHO.
<S>
Eagler

Simple root cause analysis.  What is the problem?  You have defined 2 potential problems here.  Your answer is more AI players.  Not a bad suggestion however it then becomes more of an offline game and less of an MMOG, right?

If we take the root cause analysis approach we can see that you have already identified 2 causes.

• Numbers are low
  • Map is too large

I wonder if we were to look at either or both of those we might address the problem and remain a human on human MMOG?

What do you think?

ps.  if you want to see how poorly HTC implements AI hop on over to the Match Play and fight the AI there.  Are you sure you want to do that to the main game?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 08:30:19 AM »
The AI spits in the 4x4 offline mission have as good if not  better moves than the average live player in MA.

To even it more code could spawn 2 or 3 AI defenders for every live attacker.

My suggestion was for A2A defense as I am not a gv'er

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
AI bomber raids at random intervals from random countries with random targets. That could be a lot of fun!
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
This would better be made with auto generated missions. For instance in the Match play AI missions are generated on the fly for AI to simply do a race track inside a circle.

Having to make repetitive missions like this by hand would take forever with each terrain.

I'm still not sold on the idea because the AI would not help at all with ground attacks.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 11:36:16 AM »
I'm still not sold on the idea because the AI would not help at all with ground attacks.

Randomly position spawned, dug in and camouflaged static AI tank emplacements would.   ;)  Like an anti-ground version of field ack.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
Randomly position spawned, dug in and camouflaged static AI tank emplacements would.   ;)  Like an anti-ground version of field ack.

Not quite so easy, nothing on the host has any idea about trees.

And the speed tree package is not exactly made to be cross platform .

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 11:40:50 AM »
Not quite so easy, nothing on the host has any idea about trees.

HiTech

Could you just shoot a ray-cast at a possible target and see if anything would collide before the target?  If clear, Fire!

[Edit]

Nevermind.  You said the server doesn't see the trees.

Interesting...  Could the player client determine if the emplacement could shoot at them? 

Like the AI tank sends a request to the client "I'd like to shoot at you please.  May I?"
The client checks a ray cast back to the requesting AI position and sends back, "You have a clear line of fire!  Go ahead!"
Boom.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:47:28 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
Hi HT

Even without a gv AI defense I think AI planes with A2A defense would add to the fun during the low login time periods.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
It seems once a terrain is textured and built, the location of clutter trees and building isn't dynamic and doesn't change.  It seems at terrain build time you could generate and obstruction map that could be used my AI for navigational path finding and  line of sight checks on the server.  Like in some engines how you can auto-generate a nav-mesh after geometry has all been placed.

$0.02. 

Two weeks?   :noid

Or AI GV for offline at least. ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:58:19 AM by CptTrips »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 12:07:59 PM »
Like in some engines how you can auto-generate a nav-mesh after geometry has all been placed.

Do some size estimations on that mesh once.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »
Do some size estimations on that mesh once.

HiTech

Couldn't it just be turned into a height map?

How about the AI asking the client if the line of sight is clear to him?  Scaleable.  Client knows about his clutter.

How does field ack handle it?  If I'm in a tank behind a building does the field ack just try and shoot and if it hits the build then it does? 

Just brainstorming, BTW.  Not demanding.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:35:44 PM by CptTrips »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
Ack is all handled on the clients, but if you purpose is simply a fixed gun emplacement why not just use ack?

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Ack is all handled on the clients, but if you purpose is simply a fixed gun emplacement why not just use ack?

HiTech

The differences I think it would give would be ambience and also it would be harder to kill than an ack gun.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11