Author Topic: AI base defenders  (Read 7602 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: AI base defenders
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »
The differences I think it would give would be ambience and also it would be harder to kill than an ack gun.

Wiley.

Also they would, I assume, be randomly re-deployed and camouflaged on base capture so they can't be memorized or mapped like standard field ack. 

Might be interesting and force players to work together. Bring in a Storch to search  and mark the emplacements before the GV rush in, or take your chances to trade off speed of attack?  All kinds of fun complexity.  :D

But, yeah, you could do all the same with randomly deployed, camo'd 88 emplacements, they just would be as hardened.   Can't we have both?   :D

Also, I would just love to see the AI GV problem solved in general.  SOOOOO many fun possibilities for missions.  :D

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:50:05 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
Couldn't you make an ack object that acts like an AI where you give the mission editor a grid for placement popup and set the AI ack object to popup\spawn at ground level? Then it shoots at anything flying or driving by not part of it's country? Then allow it destroyable such that on destruction it disappears? In essence it would be an AI ground bound airplane that auto targets enemies within a certain distance. As for speed tree trees, on average are they not all inside a elevation range above terrain ground level and you limit the ground attack to x elevation above ground level.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
Late to the party, but AI to attack jaboers is going to piss off a lot of people. The majority of Jaboers waste 10 minutes to fly to a base to bomb it, then die within 3 seconds of releasing their ord to AAA. Most will not want to drop their ord to fight an AI. That gets old after a while and is tiring.

What would work better is zoning of bases in which bases are more important than others. This would keep players fighting in a zone and allow more fights to happen. Zone fighting creates the action and will be more fun.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »
The majority of Jaboers waste 10 minutes to fly to a base to bomb it, then die within 3 seconds of releasing their ord to AAA.

And fighting the AI is tiring?

If they are dying from ack within 3 sec, then the AI fighters aren't even going to get to them in that time.  But they might delay a bunch of vulchers from setting up shop.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2020, 09:27:47 AM »
How about AI resupply.  Each team gets a number of AI resupply M3 drones equal to the difference between that team's number and the most populated team (averaged over some time).  That would free up the low-number sides' human players to create more 'action' in the arena.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
How about AI resupply.

Sure.  That too!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
Best WL discussion ever.  :aok :cheers:

Beginning to wane just a little but I still have hope.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2020, 10:03:31 AM »

Sure.  That too!

What is the goal here? To completely stagnate the arena in off-peak?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2020, 10:15:00 AM »
What is the goal here? To completely stagnate the arena in off-peak?

It's all off-peak nowadays. ;)

So if no human does anything there is still a natural resupply rate to heal damage.  So AI could simply embody that like the convoys and trains. 

Instead of M3, I'd like to see a network of supply C-47 flying between friendly fields and dropping supplies.  A visible manifestation of the existing natural resupply system.  Not in addition to.

But you can shoot them down to interfere with the process like destroying convoy and trains.

:salute

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2020, 10:31:52 AM »
MAybe we should all just sit back and let AI run the game. This seems where this is headed.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
MAybe we should all just sit back and let AI run the game. This seems where this is headed.

I dont expect to be playing once the weather starts to improve. Im retired and if things arent fun anymore then I dont do them anymore.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2020, 06:01:01 PM »
And fighting the AI is tiring?

If they are dying from ack within 3 sec, then the AI fighters aren't even going to get to them in that time.  But they might delay a bunch of vulchers from setting up shop.

If 5 or 6 planes attack a base. Even the AI would start getting vouched eventually. Vulching and killing FHs and or VHs are crucial to taking a base. What do you expect the AI to do then? Roll at a back base? What your team should have been doing to begin with... AI is just not the answer you can tell by match play that AI gets tiring to fight when they all gang you and is one reason no one is in there.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »
If 5 or 6 planes attack a base. Even the AI would start getting vouched eventually. Vulching and killing FHs and or VHs are crucial to taking a base. What do you expect the AI to do then? Roll at a back base? What your team should have been doing to begin with... AI is just not the answer you can tell by match play that AI gets tiring to fight when they all gang you and is one reason no one is in there.

Nope, depending on the size and type of the field I can take them by myself without hitting FH, VH and most of the time radar. Smash the town guns, level the town with a lanc and deliver troops. Rinse and repeat. With three people we can usually roll three bases before anyone takes notice and ups to grief us. Mind you, these aren't NOE missions and they are not on bases out in the middle of nowhere. Often times they are a sector away from the front and are intended to make some of the people attacking us break off the attack and come chase us down.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »

Random AI defender numbers, types and spawn locations where the first wave spawn on runway while 2nd wave air spawn from outer dar ring when base is capped.

Have a flight of 3 spit5s set to ace level came in at 8k as the last ack gun goes down....

The possibilities sound endless to me but I don't need AI ground defense and don't have a clue what it would take to implement.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
Over 150 on last night.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)