Author Topic: Rudder pedal recommendations  (Read 2233 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Rudder pedal recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 12:05:21 PM »
As a replacement I bought the new Thrustmaster TPR pedals. Full functionality, they are nice and wide, all metal, heavy, move very smoothly, and use hall effect sensors ilo resistor pots. Large range of motion. The pedal angles are adjustable. They are over kill but they feel great, look cool, work perfect if you can drop that kind of cash. $533 on Amazon.

I have the TPR pedals, I really like them. They're very wide, I had to adjust the simpit to fit them in. I like that they'll never fill up with dust and pet hair and they are very smooth, precise, and return to the exact center.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
I have the TPR pedals, I really like them. They're very wide, I had to adjust the simpit to fit them in. I like that they'll never fill up with dust and pet hair and they are very smooth, precise, and return to the exact center.

The width enabled me to move to a center stick set up, which I've always wanted to do.  Love it.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
I would chose pedals that have toe-breaks, but is me.
Most flying sims make it easier with ground handling and are also usable for tank games (like WT tanks).

I have  Saitek PRO pedal, they have lasted some years already.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »

Got $500 you wouldnt mind giving away? :)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »

Got $500 you wouldnt mind giving away? :)

you don't need it based on your 1st place fighter rank!  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »
CH working for me.  Like Fugi, I've replaced my first gameport version with USB.  Had to repair a broken wire once, and clean the pots every few years.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 04:20:59 PM »
I've got a couple pairs of gameport CH pedals too I've kept for my little collection, one is the "CH Pedals" which are very narrow, and have fixed pedals which don't slide, and only move like the toe brake function of the later CH pedals models, but that motion is the entire field of motion for the rudders.  The other is just a regular set like what is available now.  I too like many others here replaced my gameport peds from CH once the USB units came out, IIRC it was around the time I started flying AH in late 1999, or not long afterwards.  Until I got into buying the custom Virpil/VKB/Slaw hotas that's out now, I was a CH die hard, and even after going through several Cougars and Warthogs (still have a couple/few of each of those too), I still believe that CH offered the best type of motion in their controllers for a game like AH.  Don't get me wrong, TM stuff, Saitek, and the VKB/Virpil/etc hotas are fantastic, (except the Warthog Gimbals, which failed frequently for me, and many others, of the 4 WH sticks I've had, 3 I've had to take apart of replace the ring and lube/etc, NBD, but I've never had to take apart one single CH stick or throttle, only the pedals, and that's not their fault, it's from me wearing shoes while using them and getting stuff into them due to that mainly).

Atlau - where do you live, like I said I have several sets of CH peds.  If you're up here in Canada, I'll send them to you, I even have the original box I think still for them.  Send me a PM if you're interested.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:22:36 PM by Gman »

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 10:09:55 PM »
Ended up trying out a set of cheap thrustmaster pedals... all.i can say is that it's super frustrating. Cant aim at all and keep forgetting to use my feet or then out in way too much rudder

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 12:47:22 AM »
You get used to it, then you're better with them than without.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
Ended up trying out a set of cheap thrustmaster pedals... all.i can say is that it's super frustrating. Cant aim at all and keep forgetting to use my feet or then out in way too much rudder
It takes appr. 2 weeks for you to learn to remember that you have pedals which you should use instead of twisty. And it takes appr. 3 months for your nervous system to build new synapses for the use of pedals to become an automatic routine.

Or, in layman's terms, it takes 3 months daily flying for your brains to build the connections needed to control your feet in a new way.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni