Author Topic: Do not underestimate the power of name in lights.  (Read 9782 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Do not underestimate the power of name in lights.
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 11:05:43 PM »
True but removing the host messages causes you to lose the other important host messages that some people care about. Maybe change the kill text to a different color from the other host messages?

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »
it may just be me but it seemed to push people to be a bit more aggressive.
this is a good thing there were some good fights going on.

also it exposed a bit of what i can only assume was score padding.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 12:33:15 AM »
what's the matter he can't fly for crap.  but he does make a great margaritas with all stick stirring.

semp

:neener:

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 12:46:56 AM »
Please revert to previous messaging ASAP.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 01:15:30 AM »
If the kill messages were off and we had 250, 300, maybe 400 folks on, the text would be flying the same. In fact it would probably be much faster.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 01:22:41 AM »
Please revert to previous messaging ASAP.

Try this:

Mouse over text window/ right click all tab/ select edit settings. / Uncheck system messages.

Also if you wish you can create a new tab that then has only the system messages. And then if you wish drag the new tab out to make it's own window.

HiTEch
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 02:00:24 AM »

Try this:

You understand that by doing that you also disable other, useful, system messages?

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 02:05:38 AM »
You understand that by doing that you also disable other, useful, system messages?

Like what? so and so landed x number of kills or x amount of damage? Map will reset in x amount of minutes?

It shouldn't kill messages from admins or moderators or those that run special events. I don't believe they are system messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2020, 04:42:12 AM »
Like what? so and so landed x number of kills or x amount of damage? Map will reset in x amount of minutes?

It shouldn't kill messages from admins or moderators or those that run special events. I don't believe they are system messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while since I flew but manual trim state springs to mind.  There are others which I cannot remember but they give valuable intelligence as to where and what is happening. For me these were important attributes.  I would not expect someone of your skill level to understand but in time you may develop a better appreciation of the finer nuances of the game.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2020, 05:21:52 AM »
Now this is a reason for me to get gud again :devil

Dutch
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline dbh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2020, 06:41:53 AM »
I turned kill messages on in the melee arena. They had been turned off do to buffer flooding when we had +400 people in an arena.

My suspension is it will have a significant game play impact.

HiTech

It could well further discourage newbies, those who have not $invested$ in the top notch hardware, and so forth to know that their every failure against the 20+ year "experts" who play most every day for hours will be on display every time. And we all know that newbies and non-experts get killed a *lot*. Is this really what we want? Drive away the newbies? Isn't just getting killed a lot frustrating enough? Now we rub salt in wound...

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2020, 07:08:52 AM »
It could well further discourage newbies, those who have not $invested$ in the top notch hardware, and so forth to know that their every failure against the 20+ year "experts" who play most every day for hours will be on display every time. And we all know that newbies and non-experts get killed a *lot*. Is this really what we want? Drive away the newbies? Isn't just getting killed a lot frustrating enough? Now we rub salt in wound...

A valid point, but from what I saw last night with 100 online, their name will be in lights for only about 22.5 milliseconds before it scrolls out of the message window.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline dbh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »

You could really put some punch in the "name in lights" thing by using a system message like this:

"NewbieDweeb has been killed for the 32nd time today by THEJUGGLER who has 65 kills today"

That should encourage the newbs to either get their silly act together or simply quit AH.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »
You could really put some punch in the "name in lights" thing by using a system message like this:

"NewbieDweeb has been killed for the 32nd time today by THEJUGGLER who has 65 kills today"

That should encourage the newbs to either get their silly act together or simply quit AH.

Or we should hunt the newb killer and put him in his place  :devil I see all new sorts of AH goals before me, watch out newb killer the newb protection squad is on its way to the arena  :police:
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2020, 07:28:39 AM »
Been a while since I flew but manual trim state springs to mind.  There are others which I cannot remember but they give valuable intelligence as to where and what is happening. For me these were important attributes.  I would not expect someone of your skill level to understand but in time you may develop a better appreciation of the finer nuances of the game.

Do you mean combat trim? You can check your manual trim positions by looking at your instruments... . You know, finer nuances of the game... .

Combat Trim OFF

Combat Trim On

:salute
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:06:07 AM by Ciaphas »