Author Topic: Alternate Payment Options  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Alternate Payment Options
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
LOL at steam types complaining about 15 a month. That is all you need to know about that.   :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
LOL at steam types complaining about 15 a month. That is all you need to know about that.   :rofl

They're used to paying less for what they perceive as more.  That's the market these days, and there just aren't that many people who are gung ho for arena based vehicular PvP.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »
They're used to paying less for what they perceive as more.  That's the market these days, and there just aren't that many people who are gung ho for arena based vehicular PvP.

Wiley.

Sure there are. The problem is that they're mostly playing World of Planes/Tanks/Ships or WarBlunder. Even worse is that they think those games are good.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
Sure there are. The problem is that they're mostly playing World of Planes/Tanks/Ships or WarBlunder. Even worse is that they think those games are good.

That's round based PvP though.  Whole different ball of wax.  Most people don't want a setup like AH or PS2.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »

and im going to make a wild guess that having large amounts of free content gives them a large advantage in numbers.and they probably do a decent job of converting free players to paid players.(i mean they keep making them, adding stuff to them, and the forums are active)
and they have modes (if not the entire games) to cater to the lowest possible denominator.
so kids and noobs have a chance.

Aces high has some of the absolute best large scale air combat for sim type flyers. and it has a lot going for it once you are proficient.
but there is a huge learning curve, and it feels dated. there is a very slim chance your average high schooler  is even going to give aces high a serious look.

to most young people its going to feel horribly outdated to begin with, add in the 15$ a month subscription (How many subscription based MMOS are still around, 1,2? WOW and Final Fantasy maybe, though WOW lets you earn free time.)

and sure you may no want a bunch of youngins runnin around, but there are only so many old retired flight sim guys available.

no one may like the idea, but everyone seems to disregard the people who play those types of games. or fortnight or call of duty.
however that is where the new blood is, and what you have to compete with.

the trick would be to entice them without ruining the core game

"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:53 PM »
Aces High is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

One massive content game to play Offline and access to a few servers to interact with other players.

15 bucks a month for access to the Melee (24/7), Axis vs Allied and both SEA 1 and 2.  That's a steal.

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »
It would be in the $5 a day range if I would implement something like this.

HiTech

Thanks for responding, looks like the joystick and throttle go back into the basement storage

Hungry
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »

HiTech

Hitech, you'd be better off doing a $1 per hour, if possible.  Would be a great promotion.

ps. please put a new video or something on the front page of the website, or promote special events on the front page, would be cool and attract attention. The current video doesnt do justice and it sort of looks like nothing is going on.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »

HiTech

$5 a day isnt any kind of a deal. 3 days vs a full month for the same price? I guess you'll see lots of folks putting their gear back into storage. $5 a week, that might work out for some. From what you can read on the boards the subscription is one of the biggest things chasing away new players. I'd thing that would be one of the things you might want to revamp or rework to try and help to keep new players more than 10 minutes.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 09:00:48 PM »
Aces High is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

One massive content game to play Offline and access to a few servers to interact with other players.

15 bucks a month for access to the Melee (24/7), Axis vs Allied and both SEA 1 and 2.  That's a steal.

yes, it is. But, that is not what most people are expecting. the free part of aces high is not engaging at all and offers nothing over any other choice.
as just a free flight sandbox by yourself it does not have much to get peoples attention.it is not engaging for players. i submit that very few people will use the free version long enough to get hooked on the game.

the two week trial helps some, but even that isnt enough to set the hook.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 09:22:46 PM »
your right since they spend more than $15 a month, paying $15 instead for aces high should be no problem.except it is.
the perception matters.

and there's the rub though. tons of steam player blow more than 15$ a month on games.
 there were 15 million logged in steam users today at peak. steam says 69% of its playerbase are paying customers. at an average of 264$ a year per gamer.

15$ per month is not a huge amount to get out of your average steam player, but it is a huge psychological barrier.

final fantasy is the only MMO i can find that requires a subscription AND has no free to play content. at 13$ a month.it is also a huge game with constant ongoing development. and the final fantasy name is a household one.

why do no modern games base themselves on a subscription service?

i'm not saying ditch the subscription model completely either. but lets not fool ourselves. it is a huge barrier to entry for most people because of perceived value.so they dont give it a chance. where those same people would willingly be handing over payments for everything from flying to skins.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
This may have been brought up before but I couldn't find it so here goes.

Why would it not work to offer a free to play 40 ENY plane to get more players. Or maybe a country of planes. You could get the German 40 ENY planes or the British ones etc. Or maybe all of the 40 ENY planes for free.

While flying free plans you could accrue perk points but you would have to subscribe to use them.

I think this could bring new players and I doubt most of us who are willing and able to support the game at $15 a month are gong to cancel our accounts to go fly some 40ENY planes.

I guess I just don't understand why it wouldn't increase the numbers and the revenue.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
This may have been brought up before but I couldn't find it so here goes.

Why would it not work to offer a free to play 40 ENY plane to get more players. Or maybe a country of planes. You could get the German 40 ENY planes or the British ones etc. Or maybe all of the 40 ENY planes for free.

While flying free plans you could accrue perk points but you would have to subscribe to use them.

I think this could bring new players and I doubt most of us who are willing and able to support the game at $15 a month are gong to cancel our accounts to go fly some 40ENY planes.

I guess I just don't understand why it wouldn't increase the numbers and the revenue.

some people complained it wouldnt help because noobs would just get murdered in 40 env planes and wouldnt stay around.

but I think that's hogwash. I think you'd get the types you wanted, the competitive ones to stay.

make the 40 env planes free and drop the two week trial for a one week one.or ditch it completely. but make it so they can delay the start of the trial for a bit.

I'd also add a $1 per flight token.

and I'd have some method of letting people earn a free flight every now and again.

my bet is new player conversion to subscriber ratio would increase enough to more than cover the free guys in the 40 env planes. and you'd ideally be milking the free guys a bit at a time also.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
Sorry HiTech one more question, do you offer a Senior Citizen discount? AW and ACES are the only two I've ever played and I'd really like to come back in some fashion to Aces, C'mon throw us old guys a bone will ya (67 this November)

Hungry
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »
Sorry HiTech one more question, do you offer a Senior Citizen discount?

I'd guess that a Senior Discount would have quite an impact on the HTC bottom line.   :old:
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?