Author Topic: Last Ditch Effort!  (Read 1389 times)

Offline DLXIRON

• Copper Member
Last Ditch Effort!
« on: March 13, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

So when it comes to base captures of ports, gv bases and air fields with no town, it would be fun if we could spawn up a pilot to defend the map room from capture when all the other hangers have been disabled.  Basically a last ditch effort to avoid capture when you are under a siege.  It would be fun to have pilots running to the map room to defend it from the troops with just pistols.  They would also be fun to be able to spawn up a pilot as a spotter for vehicles on the bases especially if you gave the pilots the ability to see vehicle icons.  You could decided to take it a step further by providing the pilots a spawn point into the middle of town in order to defend against capture or act as a vehicle spotter there also.

As I write this another thought has popped into my melon in regards to GV dar and people who purposely hide in order to flash bases.  Could we replace the GV dar for an unarmed jeep that can see GV icons that would act solely as spotters who have to relay information to armed vehicles or heavy aircraft to take them out?  The special skill required of the vehicle operator would be being able to give accurate information of position of enemy without being killed themselves.  It would place more emphasis on communication and team work.   

Thanks
Dougie

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Last Ditch Effort!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 03:44:40 PM »
Ohhhhhhh you are so in trouble...............
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »
Why do you need a "last ditch effort"? Get in a plane and defend hard enough that the attacking team CANT take down your hangers. Last ditch effort is hunting goons and M3.

We dont need any more mechanics that allow players to avoid fighting to hold a base.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 04:38:51 PM »
We dont need any more mechanics that allow players to avoid fighting to hold a base.

:aok
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
I bet Hitech could get a first person addon for the AH3 engine that will allow a trooper. Then like all FPS games, AWSD, C-crouch, Spacebar -jump. Then hip fire and gunsight mode with a side arm, M1 or Thompson. Allow everyone to spawn one out from the tower and make them run to the town or spawn halfway. Or allow them to use GV spawns and assault towns and fields. Allow them to replace dead troops in the maproom to make up lacking a full 10 for a capture.

Problem is I suspect people would spend more time doing that than fighting in tanks or planes. Especially if the trooper was given effective explosives and a support\rearm system. Sneaking up on a hidden tank and satchel charging it is fairly simple once you have a mobile object explosives delivery system as tiny as a man.

In another game now, Monster0 and I loose heavy tanks all the time to a single man with a C4 charge sneaking up behind us.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:30:09 PM »
Why do you need a "last ditch effort"? Get in a plane and defend hard enough that the attacking team CANT take down your hangers. Last ditch effort is hunting goons and M3.

I wasn’t aware there were “more mechanics” to avoid a fight other than running away or not upping at all. Do tell.

Offline DLXIRON

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »

Alright exactly how do you launch a plane from a GV base or port?  You cant!  Adding a bit more depth to the game will only enhance it.
Not everyone in this game solely dogfights!

Problem is I suspect people would spend more time doing that than fighting in tanks or planes. Especially if the trooper was given effective explosives and a support\rearm system. Sneaking up on a hidden tank and satchel charging it is fairly simple once you have a mobile object explosives delivery system as tiny as a man.

LOL you have invented a problem that doesnt even exist.  Not only has this not been implemented, no said anything about anti tank explosives or support/rearm system!
Baby steps Buster, baby steps!

Dougie

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 07:34:13 PM »
I wasn’t aware there were “more mechanics” to avoid a fight other than running away or not upping at all. Do tell.

Parking in a gun. Limited effectiveness , and avoiding a fight moving from gun to gun as they are destroyed.

Resupply of town. One of the worst things added to the game. Instead of defending run supplies!

NOE, thankfully it was changed (dar alt change) as it was the "Go too Mission" for a long time.

GV"s Some believe that adding GVs was a way to avoid fights in the air. As it is now, far too often many base takes are GVs trying to sneak in and grab a base before someone spots the flashing base. Often as soon as one defender shows up they fade away and go try for some other base.

Alright exactly how do you launch a plane from a GV base or port?  You cant!  Adding a bit more depth to the game will only enhance it.

LOL you have invented a problem that doesnt even exist.  Not only has this not been implemented, no said anything about anti tank explosives or support/rearm system!
Baby steps Buster, baby steps!

Dougie

No but if your paying attention that big bellybutton red square on the map will tell you a GV base is under attack. At that time if your interested in keeping the base you should lay out some sups and reup in a tank to defend it BEFORE they drop the hangers. Call a buddy or two in who loves to drop bombs on GVs. GV kills are easy with a 1000 lber.

We need more things that drive players together and create fights whether it be in the air or on the ground. It is a COMBAT game after all.   :aok

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 08:24:20 PM »
Parking in a gun. Limited effectiveness , and avoiding a fight moving from gun to gun as they are destroyed.

Resupply of town. One of the worst things added to the game. Instead of defending run supplies!

NOE, thankfully it was changed (dar alt change) as it was the "Go too Mission" for a long time.

GV"s Some believe that adding GVs was a way to avoid fights in the air. As it is now, far too often many base takes are GVs trying to sneak in and grab a base before someone spots the flashing base. Often as soon as one defender shows up they fade away and go try for some other base.

No but if your paying attention that big bellybutton red square on the map will tell you a GV base is under attack. At that time if your interested in keeping the base you should lay out some sups and reup in a tank to defend it BEFORE they drop the hangers. Call a buddy or two in who loves to drop bombs on GVs. GV kills are easy with a 1000 lber.

We need more things that drive players together and create fights whether it be in the air or on the ground. It is a COMBAT game after all.   :aok

Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean that its running away from a fight. All of these things you mentioned are different forms of strategy both offensive and defensive. I get it you don’t care for it. But if people didn’t use different things the game has to offer, then we wouldn’t have the game we have.

We would have a updated version of Atari Pong.

And as of late. . . .it  has not been my experience to see people try and sneak a "base take" with a GV since that Pretty New Red Dar, and the “Sound of the GV" gives it away almost instantly. Nor do “we" see one fade away when “One” defender shows up. . . . . . . I guess I should GV more. . . .lol

Everyday I play this game - I never seem to have any difficulties finding “Fights” in the air or on the ground”. But I will admit I don’t usually stay up until the wee hours of the morning either. Granted it isn’t what it use to be, but what does really last forever?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »
Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean that its running away from a fight. All of these things you mentioned are different forms of strategy both offensive and defensive. I get it you don’t care for it. But if people didn’t use different things the game has to offer, then we wouldn’t have the game we have.

We would have a updated version of Atari Pong.

And as of late. . . .it  has not been my experience to see people try and sneak a "base take" with a GV since that Pretty New Red Dar, and the “Sound of the GV" gives it away almost instantly. Nor do “we" see one fade away when “One” defender shows up. . . . . . . I guess I should GV more. . . .lol

Everyday I play this game - I never seem to have any difficulties finding “Fights” in the air or on the ground”. But I will admit I don’t usually stay up until the wee hours of the morning either. Granted it isn’t what it use to be, but what does really last forever?

I just prefer to see player FIGHT for a base, or FIGHT to defend it. Anything that is added that takes away from that I think hurts a combat game. If you don't want to fight for it then just download the game and play it offline. You can take all the bases you want and never have to defend one. What is the point of playing a combat game if you don't want to be bothered to FIGHT for it?

The point of the game is to fight, be it in a plane, or vehicle. You want one of my bases, fight me for it. Strategies, tactics, I see very little of both these days. Sneak a base here or there, run if a defender shows up. Gang the team with low numbers or that is being attacked by the other team already, sure its a "tactic" but are we here to have fun or roll easy captures?

This really isnt "war". Its a game and interacting with/against other player is what it should be all about. Fight me, I look forward to it.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 07:19:24 AM »
I want to be able to spawn as a gremlin for 2000 perks and be randomly assigned to a plane in flight just to take it apart a piece at a time
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 10:34:44 AM »
I just prefer to see player FIGHT for a base, or FIGHT to defend it. Anything that is added that takes away from that I think hurts a combat game.

Are you just arguing for argument's sake? (Actually, I agree.) :D

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:36:28 PM »
Quote from: The Fugitive on Yesterday at 04:37:31 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----from Lunatic----
wrong, sort of---you can launch I16's and Brewsters from GV bases on the BuzzSaw map.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:51:03 PM by lunaticfringe »
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »
You can up the a6M family from ports with flaps and 50% fuel if I remember from testing in the alpha\beta. Any one of you can test that yourselves off line. Being able to up an a6M at a port might not be a bad thing. You may even be able to get one up with a bomb on 25% fuel. Landing might be tough.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
You can up the a6M family from ports with flaps and 50% fuel if I remember from testing in the alpha\beta. Any one of you can test that yourselves off line. Being able to up an a6M at a port might not be a bad thing. You may even be able to get one up with a bomb on 25% fuel.

Just checked.  On the current map, at least, the only aircraft available at ports or vehicle bases is the Storch.

AvA staff often enable limited planes at ports and vehicle bases.  Seems to work fine, cuts down on the number of easy captures of those places, and makes it easier to get to certain fights.

- oldman