Author Topic: Vr vs track ir  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Vr vs track ir
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2024, 08:26:23 AM »
There are two different flavors of NeckSafer. Both of which are a total neck saver for a lot of VR games. It's not compatible with everything tho. VRNecksafer and XRNecksafer. VRNecksafer works in SteamVR only. XRNecksafer works with OpenXR (OpencompositeVR) only. They aren't interchangeable so keep in mind which VR environment you're trying to use them with.

The VR version was the original. Guy that developed it is an IL2 player. Installing it is a bit of a trick as it has no installer. You're adding registry entries, etc. manually. No VR hat views in IL2 like there are in AH. It was a big help. This version allowed you to look left and right in little steps you had to configure to your liking in the app. The steps were a bit immersion breaking but still far better to be able to look around finally. It was a major limitation for the VR players and really leveled the field. So, no verticle steps tho, you still had to physically look way up, and not smooth like TIR. The verticle part was apparently a limitation of SteamVR. You could also map buttons/keys to center or look left and right or hold.

The XR version was his next gen once OpencompositeVR came out. Easy to install with its own installer. With that you could fly IL2 using OpenXR which basically tricks SteamVR. You could then run SteamVR games without running SteamVR! Better performance without that overhead bloat. Cool! So with the XR version the Steam limitations were gone. This one allowed config much like TIR was with smooth views all around and in the verticle too. It's perfect. I've heard of peeps having issues with it not centering in DCS.

Sadly, even after I'd spent a couple of hours one day with the Opencomposite developer we just couldn't get AH to run with it, so AH is stuck with SteamVR and the VR version. A lot of older VR games and even some newer ones won't run on it. I had VRNecksafer running great in AH for a while but I think some update to SteamVR broke it. I can center the view but when I look left or right my view won't return and I have to recenter every time. Haven't messed with AH in a while so I never got to the bottom of that.

Hope this helps.

I remember a guy used to say that a lot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group