Author Topic: Add engine overheating like WWI planes  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Add engine overheating like WWI planes
« on: April 23, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
I like how the feature works in our WWI arena - can we bring this to WWII aircraft?  Running your engine 100% for a long period of time should burn it out/reduce performance after a bit.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Add engine overheating like WWI planes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:30:12 PM »
Love ya, Fork ... but this kinda buzzkill would only lose players. There'd be two dozen complaint/I quit threads five minutes after implementing and I doubt many of the quitters would come back to see if it was ditched.

How about kill markings? A chess piece for every ten kills of that chess piece per tour?  :D

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
P-51D and 190D pilots will hate you. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
I think IL2 and DCS cover more extensive engine management if that's your thing. I'm honestly surprised it is even a feature in the WWI side of the game.

One thing I like about Aces High is to be able to jump into just about any plane without having to worry about extensive startup procedures or engine management. You guys should hear Saladbar trying to fly in IL2 :devil

Maybe if we got more players a "realism" arena could be set up, but right now I can think of tons of other things to fix about the game, where actually I think the engine management in this game is spot on for what this game is trying to be.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:17:28 PM »
Yes I could imagine the whines. As it is, engine management really ads nothing to the game at this time.

What we really need is our SHEEP back.......................
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Add engine overheating like WWI planes
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
The thing with engine management is that if you're gonna do that you're gonna also have to make it engine and engine in aircraft specific. What do I mean by that? Well in my brief experience in IL2, that has all that crap out the wahoo, I put the most effort into figuring out the 38(naturally) and it's systems and engine management. Haven't managed to inadvertently blow up an engine since the first few days messing with it. Wasn't a problem once I knew what the general settings should be for that plane and had stick and throttle controls mapped to get me there. So I'm comfortable there.That's just one plane tho!

I'm online one night. We're flying on a server that's Eastern front. Egads! No 38?! So had to figure out something else. Tried a 39. It has an Allison too,right? How much different could it be? Started up fine. Used similar settings to the 38. Taxi'd to the runway. Was overheating by the time I got the gear up! Couldn't seem to control it. Blew engine in sight of the field. Tried a P-40, again an Allison engined bird. Was better. Only managed to kill a few engines but managed to land that one intact a couple of times too! What I didn't know at the time was that the 40 had a rep in the game as having a glass engine that was supposedly on the list of things to be corrected. I'd pushed the throttle up too fast. Bang! Done.

The LW planes are a bit easier as they have a lot of automatic systems. But not all of them do. More crap to learn and map. Russian birds? More different stuff and instruments in Cyrillic/metric. Other allied birds? More stuff to learn. It's....a lot of stuff!

So it's not a simple thing to just have engine management. If you were gonna have simplified engine management what would be the point? Isn't that kinda what we already have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:41:26 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »
I wish there was a way to incentivize people to not use MIL power all the time, but I can't think of anything without making the burn rates ridiculous or to introduce engine management.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
I wish there was a way to incentivize people to not use MIL power all the time ...

The incentive would be in long scenario frames where your mission may require squeezing the most range out of your craft or you just won't make it back.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
You don't even need to be that complex. All HT would have to do is make taildraggers land like they really land. 95% of the players would ground loop every arrival and roll themselves into a ball. It'd sure cut down on the "XXXXX landed 4 kills in an F4U-1A".
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »
What about when your are shot the hell up and blowing smoke and oil over the windscreen?? 
How's about a little performance hit there.  Shouldn't fly like a brand new plane when you have holes in the wings and are overheating.

Let's do some coding boys.

That is all...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
You don't even need to be that complex. All HT would have to do is make taildraggers land like they really land. 95% of the players would ground loop every arrival and roll themselves into a ball. It'd sure cut down on the "XXXXX landed 4 kills in an F4U-1A".

As long as I land my plane Hoagi style, I can land my kills, gear down or not :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »

Yeah, and then make that plane unavailable to re-up for X amount of time because of the ground loop damage that just happened.  After all, the mechanics are going to need time for repairs.  :rofl

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:59:25 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
Yeah, and then make that plane unavailable to re-up for X amount of time because of the ground loop damage that just happened.  After all, the mechanics are going to need time for repairs.  :rofl

So sad to see a gorgeous Stearman abused like that.

Puma have you ever been able to beg/borrow/steal any tailwheel time? I'm old enough that TG's were the norm at the flight schools I started at back in 1963. Mostly J-3's, J-4's, Taylorcraft, but the one Luscombe at the club was most fun.

Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »

Puma have you ever been able to beg/borrow/steal any tailwheel time? I'm old enough that TG's were the norm at the flight schools I started at back in 1963. Mostly J-3's, J-4's, Taylorcraft, but the one Luscombe at the club was most fun.

Yes, joined CAP at age 17 in order to fly their Super Cub.  Also time in Citabria, C140, owned a C180 for nearly 20 years, Stearman, and the ultimate taildragger; P-51.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 12:35:08 PM »

Lots of time in an 8E.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com