Author Topic: Add engine overheating like WWI planes  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Add engine overheating like WWI planes
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
Yes, joined CAP at age 17 in order to fly their Super Cub.  Also time in Citabria, C140, owned a C180 for nearly 20 years, Stearman, and the ultimate taildragger; P-51.

You owned a P51? Now I am really green with envy. I only ever got an hour in one... it belonged to the late Jack Palmer of Palmer Airmotive in Wellesville NY. They were a shop that painted the 25D I flew.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
You owned a P51? Now I am really green with envy. I only ever got an hour in one... it belonged to the late Jack Palmer of Palmer Airmotive in Wellesville NY. They were a shop that painted the 25D I flew.

No, but wish I did.  Paid for the privilege and had more fun than I can describe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:44:12 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »
No, but wish I did.  Paid for the privilege and more fun than I can describe.

I can well imagine. By the way that was a great landing you did.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
Wait. Were those trees at the end of the runway?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 04:18:13 PM »

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
I can well imagine. By the way that was a great landing you did.

Thank you sir!  The Mustang is surprisingly easy to land, very solid, and straight forward.

As with any airplane, there’s always someone who can make that an exception.

Plus, some buildings and tall bushes.  :D

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:44:25 PM by Puma44 »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
We don't over heat WWI engines, the over rev is do to fixed pitch propellers, they can be run at 100% all the time as long as you don't go to fast in a dive.

They can also be set to be auto governed in settings.

The issue is that in reality most of the planes could be run at  mil power all the time. It simply shortened engine life.

HiTech

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »
Thank you sir!  The Mustang is surprisingly easy to land, very solid, and straight forward.

As with any airplane, there’s always someone who can make that an exception.

Plus, some buildings and tall bushes.  :D

That was painful to watch. The landing looked so good until the aggressive elevator inputs after the first little bounce.... and then the braking :bhead
Having enough scratch to buy a Ferrari won't make you Michael Schumacher either. :rolleyes:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 03:48:21 PM »
That was painful to watch. The landing looked so good until the aggressive elevator inputs after the first little bounce.... and then the braking :bhead
Having enough scratch to buy a Ferrari won't make you Michael Schumacher either. :rolleyes:

Yeah, especially when a little back pressure and keeping it straight would have made for a less embarrassing outcome.  I’m told by my Mustang contacts that a prop is about $100,000.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 03:54:57 PM »
Yeah, especially when a little back pressure and keeping it straight would have made for a less embarrassing outcome.  I’m told by my Mustang contacts that a prop is about $100,000.

Not to mention the internal damage to a v12 stopping it in that way. Can you say Twisted Crankshaft 3 times quickly? :eek:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
Not to mention the internal damage to a v12 stopping it in that way. Can you say Twisted Crankshaft 3 times quickly? :eek:

Well, I wasn’t going to go there but, yeah that’s a whole other level of $$$$$$$$s.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
Between March 42 and November 43 the Merlin company wanted increase performance and run time capability of Merlin engines. The test was 3000rpm and max boost for the given engine. In the beginning it was 1 hour continuous along with take off load tests. Then by mid 43 it was a 50 hour test with a Merlin 66 3000rpm 18boost. Then before the end of November 1943 a 100 hour test at 3000rpm 18 boost.

The engines along the way had problems and ultimately strengthened to achieve the 1943 100 hour test. Oh, and the final 100 hour test engine was then mounted into a spitfire for another 100 hours of testing. This is where a 200 hour Merlin 66 test reference comes from in some documents.

Here are the components that had to be strengthened: Crankcase, main bearings, end oil feed crank shaft, and deep top land pistons.

Republic did an 8 hour run at WEP on a stand with an R2800. Then mounted it in a P47 and ran it for 110 hours as a test plane. Military engines could be run at full rpm and boost for long periods continuously. WEP and other running limitations were to extend the useful life span so you were not consuming engines and needing replacements which on many fronts during WW2 were a scarce commodity.

While a piston engine aircraft is on the ground sitting or taxiing, isn't that the hardest time on engines due to not having enough air flow to cool the engine? And so would require the greatest attention to engine management settings? Used to fly with my father at times when he flew cargo in a Beech 18. He was most worried about engine management and over heating while on the ground since it had two radial engines. 

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »

While a piston engine aircraft is on the ground sitting or taxiing, isn't that the hardest time on engines due to not having enough air flow to cool the engine? And so would require the greatest attention to engine management settings? Used to fly with my father at times when he flew cargo in a Beech 18. He was most worried about engine management and over heating while on the ground since it had two radial engines.

I flew Beech 18's as a young and stupid pilot needing to build multi-engine time to get to the airlines. Considering that the last new P&W 985 Junior was built in 1953 (first built in 1929), trust me, overheating on the ground was only 1 of about 1000 things pilots worried about flying that airplane.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 03:09:30 PM »
Just adding internet images of the Beech 18 for reference/appreciation:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
Yeah, that's about the same cockpit but, you are missing all the taped on check lists to keep the engines happy. My father shared 3 Beech 18 with other delivery pilots. Some were less diligent than others about engine management. The company had a small warehouse with replacement engines back from refurbishment and overhaul. A lot of younger pilots went through the company who didn't grow up on radials marking time to move up the commercial ranks.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.