Author Topic: A Desperate plea for the old sound system.  (Read 3815 times)

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
A Desperate plea for the old sound system.
« on: May 12, 2020, 09:46:02 PM »
I know this subject has been beating to death but i felt the need to express my point of view on it. The new Fmod sound system has great potential once we have a proper sound pack for it and some of the bugs are worked out, Until then I feel as if its holding the game back.

Bugs such as:
*Engine startup sound being played any time a plane gets close to you rather than just hearing the engine fade in like the old sound system would do quite nice in 3D sound
*Looking directly up in the cockpit flying any aircraft the wind noise artifacts (this happens both with and without Challenge's sound pack).
*Sometimes VOX doesn't automatically lower the effect's sounds even tho i have it set up to do so in the settings, this only happens intermittently

Assuming those bugs where fixed and we had a fully complete sound pack (challenge's soundpack is excellent but very incomplete at the current stage).

My wish is this: I don't know if its possible to revert to the old sound system from a codeing standpoint but honestly the sound system is the only part of Aces High 3 that felt like it took a step backwards from Aces High 2. Im fully aware that once properly implemented the Fmod system is a superior system but for the reasons outlined above I feel at the current moment it is not. Speaking for myself sound is a very important part of the "immersion" because its the only sense other than sight a video game can interact with.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Desperate plea for the old sound system.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 12:12:25 AM »
If you want it completed why haven't you supported my work? No support, no incentive if you know what I mean.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 12:51:48 AM »
If you want it completed why haven't you supported my work? No support, no incentive if you know what I mean.

:rofl

Pay the man TryHard.. Come to think of it, pay me to make films.. oh yeah and pay everyone's subscriptions. I hear there are countries running in debt, you got that covered right.

:rolleyes:
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 02:06:43 AM »
You hear planes starting when planes fly by?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:12:34 AM »
I think the way it is setup right now you hear the engine startup when you get to 1.8k from them. I have this fixed for the next release, but the range won't change. That's all hard-coded.

I don't think any of the other complaints are FMOD related.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:51 AM »
You hear planes starting when planes fly by?

If you use Chalenge’s sound pack yes. Sure there’s some oddity in Fmod causing it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 02:15:12 AM »
If you use Chalenge’s sound pack yes. Sure there’s some oddity in Fmod causing it.

Ahhh... OK. Yeah fmod killed the sound packs.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 06:26:10 AM »
I miss the ability to control the volume of the 'wind' sound.  I found it to be a useful indicator of airspeed.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
I think the way it is setup right now you hear the engine startup when you get to 1.8k from them. I have this fixed for the next release, but the range won't change. That's all hard-coded.

I don't think any of the other complaints are FMOD related.

When will that release happen?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

I can barely justify paying the 15$ a month to play this game mate, I'm 21 years old with lots of bills to pay. While I do appreciate your work I dont think it's fair asking everyone to pay for it but that's just my 2 cents.

While I'd agree there's no substitute for the real aircraft there's plenty of sounds in the old soundpacks to choose from to integrate into Fmod. I'd do it myself if I understood how the Fmod sound system worked...

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »
One thing I desperately miss is the inertia starter of the Bf 109's. It is so incredibly faint in the sound pack, but it is still an upgrade from default. The engine start at distance is cumbersome as well, hoping for update soon.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
When will that release happen?

Who is John Galt?

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:14:02 PM »
BUMP  :joystick:

In the current state of the game the graphics have improved drastically compared to 5 years ago but I still feel we lost good audio in AH3. I feel the audio system we had in AH2 was much better even if less sophisticated because it was much more "open" to modification to each players likings. And also didn't have the bugs and oddities of the FMOD sound packs...

The only real "improvement" I can hear with AH3 is engines having a realistic idle effect, but I feel like that could've been implemented to a degree with the old sound system. Overall however, I feel the old sound system had better 3D spacial awareness, better sound effects in general, and overall I believe could sound more realistic.

I would like the here Hitech's thoughts on this.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »
I used a mixture in AH2 of all the available sounds for all the rides I use the most.

For now, not having real life sounds for planes is ok, but having every tank sound the same is not.
They're casting their bait over there, see?